Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modeling parts

Maybe I'm crazy (ok I am) I am constructing models for a new HD film I'm working on that has 30 SFX shots. I was working on a space capsle from which I started Making the parts, Body, Door, Window, hatch, and four chrome vents.

Once I made the peices I went to create a new model imported all the parts and were able to assemble them. Their properties were saved. What was chrome still was, what was black still was. Here I thought I was starting to get the hang of it. Groups created automatically as I imported the model parts and kept their name as well.

I composed the snowy scene where the camera moves up a cravas and we find this Alien pod (looks really good by the way - Hash is awsome amazing wonderfull!!!) I decided it needed a strobing light for a little added touch.

I went to do the same thing I created all the little parts but yet when I went to import the parts They lost the properties. They all went to the same ol White surface color. Groups didn't create automatically as it once did. It just created group :Untittled. I tried right clicking to see if i can create groups (guessing at this point)

I don't know what I clicked since the last time I was happily sitting in my PJ's making a Ship yet this dang blinky light is kicking my butt!! Any advise would be much appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I made the peices I went to create a new model imported all the parts and were able to assemble them. Their properties were saved. What was chrome still was, what was black still was. Here I thought I was starting to get the hang of it. Groups created automatically as I imported the model parts and kept their name as well.

Are you sure you weren't dreaming this part? :lol: Automatic groups? Did they get named what you were thinking at that specific instant or the instant before?

It's standard that selected cps create an untitled group which has to be named to be saved. The rest is hard to visualise so a screenshot would be helpful.

No I wasn't dreaming anything - cause in reality I still have the model as proof.

Example lets say I made three parts:

The Capsle wich has black rough surface

The vent which has chrome selected as it's material

The pannel which has bronze selected as it's properties

The first time I put it all together I had the capsle model open. I right click and imported a model- Vent

Then I put it where I needed it to be and when I looked in groups their was a item under the groups folder that had the name Vent already assigned.

( from your previouse respose Im assuming this is weird) Then I imported the model panel (again popped up under groups) and I put it where I wanted it to be.

So when I rendered to see what it looked like the Caple was black, the vent was chrome and the panel was bronze.

I wanted to add another part and when I went to assemble just as I did before The properties reverted back to white surface instead of Bronze, chrome, or black with rough surface texture. Maybe it was just a glitch the first time and I thought i was doing it right. (way to easy)

I tried the part where you Have to rename the groups to where I have multiple items under group folder but then I can't import the different properties nor do the properties that were originally assigned still assigned.

Ah hah- I saw what I did.

With the initial model I had still selected when I imported second model.

Though Im not sure why properties didn't save before nor names auto assigned but this time I can import properties to it. Which is good enough long as I can get the job done.

The reason I was having issues (mainly) cause I deselected the part and then tried to import another part which made the two parts match each other in surface properties. Correct me (nicely) if Im wrong :D

What ever happened before must have been a glitch.

If you import a model with groups into another model, the groups will come in with it. That's not weird. But the initial group in the imported model would have been made and named.