Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Superman....PJC returns

Wow! I am really loving what you've done with this model. Maybe when you're done, you can do some renders with him alongside his Jim Talbot conterpart... something along the lines of Infinite Crisis. That would look sweet!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I think it'd be cool to take Jim's model, spice it up and make a pin-up of them!

Here's the latest "experiment". The guy that I wanted to use for a face model had to leave work before I could get pictures, so I dug in the PJC archives and found an old face map of myself. I've only applied it to the face (so you may notice some seams, etc) to get an idea of what it looks like. I'm still thinking I will probably do a 50/50 blend between a photo face (hopefully I'll get pictures on Monday) map and the base photo skin map I have:

And now the images:

Close with PJC face map

Superman_FACECLOSEPJC0.jpg

Superman: "What are you doing to me?"

Superman_FACECLOSEPJClookdown0.jpg

Superman_PJCfaceFULL0.jpg

Superman_PJCfaceFULL5.jpg

- pjc

I dug in the PJC archives and found an old face map of myself. I've only applied it to the face (so you may notice some seams, etc) to get an idea of what it looks like.

Uhhhh... When this guy starts moving, he's going to be stunning!

Thanks martin! I can't wait to hook some BVH motion to him and see how much work I need to do to the rig setup! :P Gotta work on a little storyboard too.

I did some more tweaking of the face map in the UV editor (man do I love that tool) and started to map the rest of the skin (added the ear maps), and then wanted to do a silly little test, but I think it's important.

I wanted to see how Superman read at a small size (simulating a small comic panel) Now this facial pose isn't extreme or exciting, but I wanted some sort of expression (yay, now I just remembered all of face poses I'm gonna have to set up!).

So, a little test, AO rendered of course:

facecontorted0.jpg

- pjc

Pat,

Your detail in this Superman model is really good.

The only thing I noticed is his face looks a lot like Mr. Incredible from "The Incredible's" Movie. Is there a reason why you didn't use the original DC Comics face or perhaps Christopher Reeves's face?

Jeetman

Mr. Incredible? Hmm, I haven't heard that one. What features make you think of him, the jaw?

My references for the model were this mixture (not really scientific, but it looks cool to use numbers):

10% Brandon Routh (I used a side view of Routh as a rotoscope for parts of the bridge of the nose and forehead)

10% Christopher Reeve (side profile of the nose and jaw)

25% Alex Ross' Superman (Alex's is a little older than mine)

35% The "comic" amalgam of DC comics Superman and/or how I would draw him.

10% Me. Since I'm using my face as a texture map I tweaked the geometry to match some of my face.

10% Jim Talbots underlying Kingdom Come model.

The funny thing is, someone mentioned that he looks like Bruce Campbell. The more I look at him, I can see that.

I appreciate the feedback and the crit! :D

- pjc

What a difference a face makes. I finally got pictures of my buddy (and fellow A:M'er) Kevin Lyon.

I quickly did a replace of my face with Kevin's late last night (quick and dirty) and here's the results:

Superman_KEVINfaceFULL0.jpg

Superman_KEVINfaceFULL5.jpg

Superman_FACECLOSEKEV0.jpg

I think it works really well. My blonde hair and fair complexion just didn't work as well I think...

Here's Kevin:

270429925_l.jpg

Now I have to build the final face map, unwrap and finish up the skin on the head. I'll report back with details and pictures soon.

- pjc