Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Battle Juggernaut

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Too bad you couldn't get that done in time for the contest, Mike. I'll tell you what - finish it up, contribute the project to the "Extras" DVD, and we'll send you a "Painting with Fire" DVD, and include the image in the "Mechanical Contest" webpage as an entry, (with your name on it, of course).

Wow. Too bad you couldn't get that done in time for the contest, Mike. I'll tell you what - finish it up, contribute the project to the "Extras" DVD, and we'll send you a "Painting with Fire" DVD, and include the image in the "Mechanical Contest" webpage as an entry, (with your name on it, of course).

Thnaks Martin. The real issue is whether or not the Extras DVD is going to be a dual layer affair - currently, the Battle Juggernaut project is about 295 mb. (That's including all the PSD and CDR support files which take up about 135 mb at the moment.) I certainly have no reservations about contributing it, I just don't know what size limitiations we're talking about.

you can show me some wirez od the tire please

Only if you promise not to cry...

For those who don't know me (many would consider you lucky), when it comes to my own projects, I don't care about patch counts or render times. As I mentioned a few months back, although I never "left" AM, I haven't done much with it for a few years. This Battle Juggetnaut is really me just "flexing" and relearning AM.

That said, the tires are straight modeling - no displacement, no booleans. Big tires: 34,322 patches each. Small tires: 4,364 each.

Big Tire Wireframe

Big Tire Shaded Wireframe

Small Tire Wireframe

Small Tire Shaded Wireframe

I tried something a little different with this model - I modeled it in pieces and assembled them in the Choreography, translating, oritenting and scaling them to the main body via constraints.

I have to disagree. I think the huge patch count is why you had to abandon it. What you did with the wheels could have been accomplished with alpha and displacement maps, and it wouldn't have taken as loong to model or render...

I have to disagree. I think the huge patch count is why you had to abandon it. What you did with the wheels could have been accomplished with alpha and displacement maps, and it wouldn't have taken as loong to model or render...

They wouldn't look the same either - which is why I don't care about patch counts and render times on my own projects - I want what I want to look how I want it; I won't compromise my vision just to be done faster. And the high patch count is not why I abandonded it - I was doing it for the Mechanical contest and ran out of time. Since Martin would like to see on the Extras DVD, I will continue working on it.

Hi.

NO MAMES!!!

(sorry but i don´t say this in english)

I don´t saw a mesh like that in A-M before.

my first question is, what computer you have?

the second is , how many time you take doing this model?

i think you had the record for the spline count in a model

see you

my first question is, what computer you have?

the second is , how many time you take doing this model?

i think you had the record for the spline count in a model

1: An old 1.333ghz AMD with 768mb PC100 RAM.

2: A few hours a day for about 5 weeks.

I probably have some old files somewhere with higher patch counts.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to come up with a cannon that goes on the rear turret. I've finally got something I'm mostly happy with. Patch count is currently 2,245. I would expect it to rise to over 3,000 before I'm finished.

Rear Cannon

I'm using 13.e and it seems from this render that the chrome cooling cylinder near the muzzle (I used a boolean cutter here) isn't casting shadows.

Ummmm, oh my gosh!

so let me ask you, why didn't you use cookie cutters for the holes in the wheels instead?

Thickness of the object?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Because I wanted an "it doesn't matter how finished these tires look because they are tires and are just going to get beat to hell anyways" feel. I purposedly modeled them to have facets and anomalies. Same with the front axel smack plate. Besides, modeling the holes didn't dramtically increase the patch count - the studs detail is what kicked it up more than anything.

I don't purposely try and create high patch counts - I add as many splines as I think I need to get the look I want. If I end up with too many, I'm generally not going to go back and redo that section.

One of things I tried to do with this model is use a "fractal" mentality - I've tried to model the different parts with self-similarity. When it became questionable that I might not be able to complete it in time for the contest, I also grabbed bits and pieces from old projects, modified them, then copied them and modified the modifications by resizing, squashing and stretching.