Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Doctor Who TARDIS

Being a huge Doctor Who Fan I thought I would need my own TARDIS. I have been watching the latest series and just got back in to how cool Doctor Who was. This TARDIS is to scale based on plans I found on the internet somewhere. Some guys actually build real versions. The doors open and close and as soon as I finish up a couple of clean ups on the model, I will post it up here fo anyone that wants to use it.

Image:

tardis-small.jpg

You can download a larger version of the rendering below.

post-652-1152550203_thumb.jpg

post-652-1152550263_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The season finale here in the US ended with the Doctor changing to a younger version (different actor.) I hope that's just temporary, cause I like the character that carried the season.
I was disappointed when Christopher Eccleston pulled out after doing just one series, but his replacement (David Tennant) has been doing a fine job.

I think you are right about the hard edges that should be a pretty simple fix. It would be nice if AM had a fillet command. The inside of the TARDIS be phase 3 for me and it will probably be the most current TARDIS inside. That will give me a lot of reference since I now have the DVD's for season 1. Phase 2 (I will be working on next) is going to be one of the companions, the simplest companion.

The one thing I was trying to figure out is how to give the illusion of the TARDIS being bigger on the inside than the outside. It seems to me that the best way to do it would be to do it with green screen. A green screen inside the door and a green dome around the TARDIS interior minus the door.

I have never seen a good representation of how it actually would work. So this would be a good project for me if I could pull it off. If anyone has any ideas, please post them here.

There are several ways to accomplish the view of the inside appearing larger than the outside.

For a static shot, hide the inside geometry of the model and render your scene. Now hide everything but the interior and render a new frame (make sure to use a different file name)... then just composite your two shots in photoshop or your favorite graphics program.

You could do it in a single render, but it would take much more prep than that. It's the most simple solution I can think of.

For a moving shot, where you will be, say rotating around the tardis, you will need to do MUCH more work.

I would suggest making a flat plane just inside the doors of the tardis and give it an easy key color (like you said green screen) and render the tardis without the interior. Then render just the interior and composite the interior to the primary shot with the green screen removed and the interior on the bottom layer. NOTE: when you make a key color like that, you will have to give the surface an 'Ambient' color that is the same (green) and 100% ambience.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Good luck... and let us see the end result!

That's a cool looking Tardis, looks a bit too bright and clean tho. Dirty it up a bit.

I was disappointed when Christopher Eccleston pulled out after doing just one series, but his replacement (David Tennant) has been doing a fine job.

I agree. I was skeptical at first but by the end of Xmas Invasion I was sold, Tennant's doing a great job and I hope he sticks around for a long time. (Goofy faces and all, heh) Last Saturday's ep was amazingly good. Dont want to post any spoilers tho for those not caught up.

ok just one tiny thing (non spoilerish)

Dalek - "You are superior in only one respect."

Cyberman - "What is that?"

Dalek - "You are better at dying!"

Had me in stitches.

But for Eccleston fans I hear rumors that he may do a remake of The Prisoner! Another great UK series. Be seeing you!

I see the word TARDIS and come out of lurker mode. Like the modeling and rendering, classic TARDIS.

I'd lower the roof a bit... I can't find the reference images that were once on Google. I quick search through the 25,200 on GIS didn't bring it up.

Great work!

Here is a list of links that I have used as reference.

The TARDIS Library - http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/...boxes/home.html

TARDIS PDF i went by: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.bradley3/brachaki.pdf

Origional Site here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.bradley3/

Ill be working on cleaning up the TARDIS this week. ( or more like dirtying it up ) to give it that more authentic look. I am not a material expert, so Ill be contacting the great Animation Master designer, Mr. Rich Jackson for assistance on materiling the TARDIS.

Thanks for all your feedback. I will continue to add here after the materials are added to the TARDIS.

i have no clue what the tardis is but its still cool
The Tardis is Dr Who's spaceship/timeship. It's supposed to blend in with it's surroundings, but its chameleon circuits don't work properly which it looks like an ancient police phone box.