Hash, Inc. Forums

Best way

Shelton

• *A:M User*

I have finished installing the squetch rig into the character ( thanks David). After three times of messing the rig up I have learned a valuable lesson in progressive saving. Anyway, what is the best way to remove the creasing in the shoulders and elbow areas. This will aply to the face areas as well. I have tried smart skinning the area but as I move the arm in differnet movements it seems to be worse after smart skinning. And as i try to weight the area i seem to mess up the nice features built into the squetch rig such as the bicep movement. Any way any help is appreciated.

Steve

toboard0.jpg

I have finished installing the squetch rig into the character ( thanks David). After three times of messing the rig up I have learned a valuable lesson in progressive saving. Anyway, what is the best way to remove the creasing in the shoulders and elbow areas. This will aply to the face areas as well. I have tried smart skinning the area but as I move the arm in differnet movements it seems to be worse after smart skinning. And as i try to weight the area i seem to mess up the nice features built into the squetch rig such as the bicep movement. Any way any help is appreciated.

Steve

Not a problem, Steve. I'm glad it helped.

For any joint I use CP Weighting almost exclusively. For the elbow and shoulders, there are fan bones that might help ("right/left_elbow_fan_geom" and "right/left_shoulder_fan_geom" bones). If you look at Squetchy Thom, it will give you an idea for the Weighting. What I do is find a bone for whatever part I'm Weighting that I can consider neutral...for the face, it would be "head_geom_front", for the forearm it would be "right/left_forearm_non_Z_geom", etc. Then I use that bone to reduce the movement of that CP as necessary.

Another thing to consider is the modeling. Sometimes you just don't know how something is going to deform when bent until you start messing with it. I don't consider the modeling of a character finished until it is completely rigged.

I hope that helps.

David

How true is that statement. I thought I had a good model for movement. Boy I have had to go back and add splines rebuild that section of the bone and then it still is not right in some cases. But for the most part it is working. left/right non z geom in the fore arm. Wow if I would have looked at Thom closer my arms would not have taken so long.

Thanks!!!

David

Here is a quick render showing the elbows and shoulder. THe shoulder is a problem but not from the rig but they way I model it. I smooth it out but actually the weighting is working. I am a happy camper today.

Steve

toboard0.jpg