Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

„Chicory and Coffee“

kikiriki

I'm posting in Hash forum very rarely (but I'm lurking almost daily), so I think I should reintroduce myself :-)

My name is Dusan Kastelic and I own a small studio for animation called Bugbrain. We are mostly working 2D animation (95%- mostly Flash games), though we made a couple of small projects in 3D in the past (maybe some of you still remember the animation about mine goblin Perk I made a couple of years ago). But we are planning to concentrate more on 3D in the future.

I would like to introduce our new project: a short animated movie (6 minutes) „Chicory and Coffee“. Actually this is my personal „pet project“ but very ambitious one! Me and my coworker Uros will be 100% occupied exclusively with this project for more than a year.

And this is the reason why I write this letter.

I need help!!! We need to finish the project by the end of the March 2007 and since this is a huge job, we could use any helping hand :-) So if some of you are interested to collaborate I would be more than happy to accept any help!

Though this is a „pet project“ it actually has a budget! Not very big one, but I will be able to pay something for help (though I'm afraid that some of the artist here could be offended by the sum of money I could offer). So If you are interested, please send me a mail to: dusan.kastelic@siol.net, write a short CV and show me some samples of your work (or an address of your homepage).

This job will not occupy you for the full time! I think it will require up to 10 hours per week.

Right now I need:

-a good technical director (which will build a simple, but stable rig and built it into the models)

-A good modeler (there will be more than 20 characters in our movie! Don’t be scared by that number!:-) Most of the characters will be just a little remodeled and retextured models that I will build- like we will made the model of the old man from the model of young man etc...)

Later this year (I hope around September or October) I will also need:

-A good animator (or maybe more of them- there will be a lot of actions in background)

-A good technical director (which will take care of clothes, particles... There won’t be a lot of FX in this movie, but they should be made top-notch)

Of course if one person with many talents could cover all the tasks above- even better! (It would be easier to communicate)

I'm quite sure that this project will came out good. We have a great story, a great script, great music... so even if the modelling and animation will be totally crap, I believe the movie will be still great! :-)

I made my previous 3D animation (Perk) as a personal favour to my friends from the Orlek band and my only ambition was to learn the basics of 3D animation (and the video to be shown on our local TV). But at the end the Perk was screened on more than 40 festivals all over the world (even on the big ones like Siggraph, Animafest Zagreb, Animamundi Brazil, Animago Germany...) and I got a lot of exposure and quite a few job-offers (even from the couple of big studios... but I prefer to be my own boss :-)).

This time we will take the project much more seriously. We will put a lot of effort (and money) to promotion (submitting to festivals etc...), so if nothing else- this project will look good in your portfolio.

Here is the first concept sketch:

porocna.jpg

here are rotoscopes for the main characters:

rotoskop_babi.jpg

rotoskop_dedo.jpg

The model of the man (with bump maps):

celo_telo_BUMP.jpg

The model with the final textures:

celo_telo_COLOR.jpg

The closeup of the textured head:

head_COLOR_BIG.jpg

and here is a little turnaround movie:

click for the MOV file (mpeg 4)

P.S.

The script and animatic (with voices and music) are already finished, but I’m not sure if I should post them in the public forum. So anyone interested shall E-mail me and I will send him the animated storyboard (animatic).

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Great looking stuff! That's the way to drop in and solicit help on a project!

I'll be curious to see what the motion of the face will be like since the texture suggests a wood carving.

• Admin

Wow... I wonder who in the world would be skilled enough to rig those fine models.

(Hint Hint to the master riggers in the forum)

Outstanding work Dusan. Beautiful.

This is going to be a great film.

Hey what's the net symbol for whistle? Cuz' that's what I did when I saw those pix.

<sigh> How is it we get offers to work on so many animation projects when we're already involved with TWO? Does that mean after TWO is done we'll become idle?...Hope not.

Superb work man. Superb work.

Wow, exceptional work so far. I agree, this was a great e-proposal you have here. If I had a website, or the talent, for a project like this I would be sending it right to you.

Dusane, so nice to have you back! This is going to be big! Could I sent you jpegs or forum links? I don't have 3D webpage... (btw it could take me some time to collect my stuff)

trajcedrv

p.s. nadam se da cu za par dana biti u stanju da ti posaljem par izrenderiranih stvari... i josh nesto: ovo je najbolje modelirana i teksturirana stvar koju sam video u zadnjih nekoliko meseci! Divno!

Great looking models. I've got other things in the works but I'd be willing to rig them for you if you need. Great looking models like that how can I refuse. Good job.

Hey Ilidrake can you rig something of my i need it riged. That would great if you could Ilidrake. I would be very greatfull!!

post-8916-1152302860_thumb.jpg

Great looking models. I've got other things in the works but I'd be willing to rig them for you if you need. Great looking models like that how can I refuse. Good job.

Hey Ilidrake can you rig something of my i need it riged. That would great if you could Ilidrake. I would be very greatfull!!

Sure. I'm currently using AM v13. I'm pretty sure for you to use anything I rig you have to be using the same version. If you want me to I can do it for you.

Wow! That is so awesome. My jaw dropped so far so quickly that I think I lost it. I also heard words come out of my mouth that I never thought I was capable of saying. I don't think I've ever even heard them before. They must have been in another language, but that doesn't really make sense either. I guess all I can coherently say is "That is phenomenal." Wow!

The beauty of this model is unassciated with the application used to create it... that is what makes it fantastic to me.

It is brillaint and beautiful on its own without any knowledge of the tools to create it. It could have been carved from wood, or clay and painted by hand and still be outstanding as a work of art.

I remember the Perk model and seeing the simplicity of the actual model itself. It's perfection was all decals baby. The splines were so light... it was amazing to still see all that detail. I love it.

Looking at this "2d" image... I can feel the rough surface in my mind. It truly breaks out of its digital "prison".

If this were animated... good grief... I might swoon and pass out.

I hope you get the help you need... I am not in a position to offer any... but had to comment.

-Vern

Wow, that is amazing! I'm not sure how I missed this one before (don't think I even noticed the thread till KenH said something about it). That has got to be the best looking AM characters I've ever seen! Can't wait to watch this one progress.

Kevin

Yes, nice work Dusan!

I was looking to see if you are using the new displacement feature, but because the perimenters of your characters are so smooth I am led to beleive that it is simply bump maps...right?

I would love to help...if only...!

Thank you all for your nice comments!

And even more thanks to all who were offering help! A:M community is great! I succeed to establish a really great and talented team (which identity shall remain secret for now. But beware Pixar! :-)))

Now answers:

Parlo: Yes- I don't use any materials on my models- only Decals (I have better controll over the final look that way... and Decals renders faster- which is very important because we will render in Hi-resolution for 35mm film.)

Vern:

That was exactly my intention- to avoid a “synthetic” 3D look and try to get the look of the old fine-crafted puppets. The look of the models, as well as the story itself are not conventional for CG animation.

John Bigboote: Yes, no displacement here- only bumps

Thank you again! And stay tuned- I will post the progress from time to time!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the bump. This is the first I have seen this thread.

I am in complete awe of your modelling talents. I really do hope you post some more updates, pictures of models or scenes, perhaps a teaser trailer.

Is there a website we can go to to follow the progress of the project?

Looking forward to seeing more of this project...

Al

• 3 months later...

Though this reply is futile, seeing how Im not a professional in practice. Nor do I have a background resume. I'd work for free on any animation aspects for these models. Or should you have any architectural elements (sketches of the same quality shown) that need modeled, I'd be willing to try it for free. I may or may not be able to do it, but given the chance Id put the effort into trying with the looks of these models and what they propose visually in theme to me. But of course you have a time element to think of and Id be more of a chance than a deadline. But if you can use any help possible, regardless... Im free for the thought? These models look like they dwell in an abstract artsy early period environment. They are definately eye candy! Perk itself was an amazing piece of animation as the acclaim was noted.

Dusan doesn't frequent these forums as much as he'd like so you might contact him directly with that offer. Also, to confirm that modeling is going well (Dusan and Uros are geniuses) and the animation stage is about to start. And a web presence is being prepared.

Ummmm.... DAMN!!!!

That's some very nice work you've posted.

I want to see a shaded wireframe.

If your end result is so elegent, I must see how far down that elegence travels.

VERY Nice!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

www.vrcops.com

Hi Guys! Thank you very much for your interest! :-)

I was planning to post something in the forum a long time ago. But I planned to finish the “Chicory & Coffee” WIP web-pages first- to make a good impression. Unfortunately I just cannot find the time to finish those darn pages, since there are always something more urgent to do. I hope the website will be ready by the end of the month (95% of work is already done). You will be the first to know!

Until then I'm sending you couple of pictures...

The modeling part of the job is about 85% done. We didn't do any real animation yet (besides couple of tests), but we will probably start within a month. Thank you all for your kind offers, but I think I won't need more help, since recently we were hired another full-time animator, so I hope this will be enough. But if won't- I have you on my list Muff! :-)

But I would use this opportunity to thank everybody that helping me with this project:

-First, of course to Hash team and specially to Martin for this great piece of software! We are working at least 10 hours a day for more than 6 months with this software and it runs very smoothly. Though I have expressed my concerns about stability of the software in the past (v8 and v9), I could honestly say that A:M has made a great progress in those last couple of years and v13 is one of more stable applications on my computer! I practicaly didn't lost any work because of crashes in all this time!

-Uros Hohkraut: he is responsible for all the props and scenees and as you will see he's doing a magnificent job

-Cory Collins, who helped me to build a great character rig

-Ken Heslip who helps me with character modeling and who proved to be a very enthusiastic, fast and reliable co-worker

-Yves Poissant, for great advices and specially for the “Environment Shader”. I'm testing it for couple of months now and it works like charm! It will significantly cut down render times!

-Steffen Gross, who has programmed a little plug-in called “Merge and Purge Decals” literary over night and this plug-in really helped me a lot!

Of course, the list of credits will extend in the future!

You will learn more about the project on the website! Stay tunned!

nevesta0_edited_.JPG

update_164.jpg

259_180www.jpg

bloom.jpg

"Dang Lieutenant Dan!"

This is truely awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping work (whimpers from envy as I type this). Please keep us up to date as things progress...

BTW, who is the person in the shop window. Looks a bit out of place compared to your other two characters... :D

Al

shop.jpg

Very inspiring! It makes me wanna put alot more effort into my own work. whenever i get lazy and dont feel like putting the time in on my project I will look at this thread and the Hash movie thread and get busy lol.

Keep us updated!

I want to see a shaded wireframe.

If your end result is so elegent, I must see how far down that elegence travels.

VERY Nice!

Thank you Mike! :-)

Here is a wireframe.

It brings a tear to my eye.

So good!!!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I've actually been doing periodic searches of this post ever since the first character models were posted, just to see what was up with the project. Glad to see it's going well, and is as beautiful as ever. This has got to be some of the most incredible stuff I've seen with A:M.

Since I'm still getting my head around modeling, I have to say that those look like remarkably efficient spline layouts. Low patch counts for such ornate characters.

Cheers--

Mark

• 1 month later...

I received couple of E-mails if the “Chicory&Coffee” website is ready yet.

Unfortunately it is not yet finished. And will probably take a week or two (or three- I simply don't have the time to work on it). Until then here are couple of renderings from the project. Just to keep up your interest! :-)

kids2.jpg

ao2_240.JPG