Hash, Inc. Forums

Help With A Knob?

vf124

Is that the rendered image or an image of what you want to try to get your model to look like?

David

Hi David,

It's what I'd like my model to look like ... I've got the textures & color figured out ... just know luck with the model.

It looks like you have 2 separate groups of splines, where as the image you showed would best be created by a single group.

You also have your splines peaked which is going to make everything angular in appearance.

David

• Hash Fellow

Simplest topology I could come up with

[attachmentid=17808]

If you don't need to get very close to the knob it could work

With more splines following the contours you could reduce the area of the 5 and 3-pointers and hide their smoothness problems.

model:

[attachmentid=17809]

edit: never mind, I see you found a solution

knob.png

VFKnob01.zip

I think this is a pretty good thread - perhaps we need a "How would I model this shape" forum.

I'm modelling a military helicopter with a bulbous targeting module on its nose. I can model the copter and the module separately, and move the two parts into position to make the whole aircraft with non-connected parts. But I'd love to know how to turn the interface between the surfaces of the unconnected parts into a spline so I can make the join less "sharp".

• Hash Fellow

updated knob with somewhat reformed splinage:

[attachmentid=17817]

much bias tweaking remains to make it smooth

I'm modelling a military helicopter with a bulbous targeting module on its nose. I can model the copter and the module separately...
Start a thread and post some wireframes. Someone will jump in with suggestions.

VFKnob05.zip

Robcat, C-grid,

Man, you guys are great ... you both have helped me over the hump on on my 2 yr old music video. I'm still in training, but this is total inspiration.

It's amazing how fun AM can be, but also, how frustrating it can be on something seemingly so simple. I've taken both your models & ripped them apart. Needless to say, I can now build a knob.

D. Rogers book is awesome, but you guys, for your time, are extremely kindhearted. As an old Navy JAG ... Kudos to you both.

G. Wells