Hash, Inc. Forums
Emilio Le Roux

New modeling experiences...

I was very excited by new A:M exporting method, which seems to handle 5 point patches and hooks seamlessly. So I decided to start a new model freely using all A:M tools (instead of clumsyly joining uncontinuous splines together...)

The modeling experiment consists in creating different 3D gamestudio LOD (Level-of-detail) models. Instead of making, texturing and animating several A:M models for different Levels of detail, my plan is to use A:M amazing spline modeling to create a model and export it at different subdivision levels.

This is my work so far:

The mesh in A:M

ammesh.jpg

Exported at 1 poly per patch, total 848 polygons

face848.jpg

Exported at 4 polys per patch, total 3272 polys...

face3272.jpg

Side, low and high...

side848.jpg

side3272.jpg

This is a fairly complex model, even for the low poly version. What do you think on this polygon count? considering that it's only the head.

Thanks!

Just to illustrate how 5 point patches are handled:

This patch in front of the ear:

5ppatches.jpg

turns into 3 triangles in the 1 poly/patch model

5ppoly.jpg

Looks great. The poly count seems a little high for the 4 patch, especially since the whole body isn't modeled. I might be wrong on that though.

What are you using to export?

I didn't see the five point patch in the original post. Very nice conversion. I wonder if there are any hooks you could show? Are you exporting as obj?

Oh, I forgot it... I am exporting to .X model using AMXtex, trying both 1 poly per patch and 4 polys per patch.

I just reduced the patch count here...

lod.jpg

I also distorted the model, kinda trying the mesh for another character.

I am not sure about polygon counts, that's why I am asking...

In latest years we've been seen models with anything from 300 to 1500 patches, but nowadays patch counts seem to be far bigger than that - and not necessarily in high end engines.

I found no cathegoric information on the net - thus I plan to make a full body model at about 2000 polygons (1 poly/patch) or some 8000 (4 polys/patch).

I think for in game you're talking about 3000-5000 polys. Maybe abit more. Obviously the face needs as much as possible.

I think I remember reading somewhere where a guy made a male model, this included all the extras though (armor, clothing, etc...), for a XBOX 360 game and it was a little over 8000 polys. So I guess that could be alright. Like I siad though, I am not an expert in this area.

Hi Emilio,

nice model ! you should add some textures. The new algorithm for building poly models seems to work much better then before. But i experienced some UV related bugs and missing [not flipped] polygons (which i reported already). Most models from the A:M 2006 & A:M Extras CDs don't export correctly independent of the format you use. Do you have any problems with exported models ?

Fred

Hi Emilio,

nice model ! you should add some textures. The new algorithm for building poly models seems to work much better then before. But i experienced some UV related bugs and missing [not flipped] polygons (which i reported already). Most models from the A:M 2006 & A:M Extras CDs don't export correctly independent of the format you use. Do you have any problems with exported models ?

Fred

uh oh... you brought me some bad news.

Preliminary tests show some texturing errors in 5 point patches. However, the patches seem right when exported to 4 polys/patch. I guess (HOPE, actually) that it is a simple bug that could be fixed easily.

textbad.jpg

here you can see that the 5 point patches on the pecs are textured bad. But they look smooth at 4 polys per patch!

Note that this is an unedited A:M model, not made for poly count. It's some 4700 at 1, and 20000 at 4.

I will make some more accurate tests, to illustrate this problem better, and to see if it's an AMXtex or a Hash SDK problem, then report it.

Hi Emilio, i've done another test with a model from the library and got the same behaviour you mentioned with increasing subdivisions.

I'm sure the brilliant minds at Hash will find a solution and make the export another kick-ass feature for all game / realtime developers :) !

Fred

Update.

I think I'm getting close to a fair patch count. Only the feet are missing so far.

exports2.jpg

I plan to use these 2 export methods for workless LOD versions of the model :)

Wow, nice work with economy of splines.

Thanks Zaryin!

Too bad I had to stop for a while - the 5 point patch decaling problem holds me back.

Actually, I have 2 unexpected problems:

1) At 1 poly per patch, 5 point patches don't export properly their textures

2) At 4 poly per patch, the joints don't seem to animate very well. That's probably due to 3dgs models not supporting CP weights.

Well, at least I hope they fix the texture problem soon.