agep

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now you have to texture it all! :D

Not do I just have to texture it all.... man, thats going to be time-consuming... lol... I'm just barely half-finished with the modelling.. :o

Stian,

you scare me! The detail in modeling is amazing! As quickly as you are doing this, you could give Greg Rostrami a run for his money, and he's only modelling a vase! LOL... whip through this as a demo at the shows, and you'ld scare alot of the "power brokers" (with their megabuck) programs to death!

Stian is not real. He's like the Matrix, just a pixel form of his original self, that is underground in some remote Norwegian island, with plugs in his spinal cord, bending reality here on earth ;)

Absolutely amazing! For the life of me, I can't figure out how you could be modelling this so fast and yet so smooth. Do you have some method of mechanical modelling you might wish to share? Do you use Yves' "peak and tweak" method or the Roger Reynolds method?

Cheers,

Rob

VERY nice. Great detail. Two of the guns seem to be floating in the air. Also, the deck looks very 'flat' and with no railing it seems like many a mate would slip into the sea during rough weather LOL.

Wonderful detail... is it to scale?

Rusty

Thanks guys

Absolutely amazing! For the life of me, I can't figure out how you could be modelling this so fast and yet so smooth. Do you have some method of mechanical modelling you might wish to share? Do you use Yves' "peak and tweak" method or the Roger Reynolds method?

fast? I thought this went pretty slow... :) lol method? hmm, I dont think I use any special kind of method exept I bevel a lot,

Two of the guns seem to be floating in the air. Also, the deck looks very 'flat' and with no railing it seems like many a mate would slip into the sea during rough weather
LOL. That is because I havent built any decks there yet (as mention I barly halfdone with the modelling), but I built the guns first an placed them out, so thats why they floats at the moment

Stian

QUOTE(dreamin3d @ Jul 7 2006, 12:38 PM)

...Do you use Yves' "peak and tweak" method or the Roger Reynolds method?...

I don't think I use any special kind of method exept I bevel a lot,

I think Rob is curious as to how you model your rounded corners. Do you peak both sides or leave then smooth?

I think Rob is curious as to how you model your rounded corners. Do you peak both sides or leave then smooth?

I peak both the sides and then I set the gamma to 45 (-45) and the magnitude to 360

[attachmentid=18045]

corner.JPG

Thanks again for your comments :)

No, I've got it, you have a time machine and are modeling a months worth of work in one day

unfortunately the core timecontroller got broken on my wristwatch timemachine when I spilt some pepsi max on it, so I cant use it :(

Its time for an new update. I've made two cranes and I built a new deck on the aft (no floating guns anymore :P ), more decks to come

Best regards

Stian

[attachmentid=18096] [attachmentid=18097]

[attachmentid=18098] [attachmentid=18099]

bismarck_assembled0.jpg

bismarck_assembled1.jpg

bismarck_assembled4.jpg

topandside.jpg

so you are peicing all of the seperate sections together in a choreography? What would happen if you tried to eventually put them into the same model? Beacause i also am making a large model and i plan to put all sections into one model once done, do you suggest just doing it in choreography instead?

Dude, that is INSANE. Great work! I don't think I've ever seen so much detail in an AM model before and after my experience with mechanical modeling for this past contest I will say my hat is off to you. That takes some serious patience. Can't wait to see this thing completed.

Kevin

Thanks for your comments :blush:

so you are peicing all of the seperate sections together in a choreography?

What I actually do is that I assemble the parts in an action. I create an action using the main part, then I import the rest of the models into the action (creating "action objects"). Then when I'm in the chor I simply drag the main part into it (lets say its the hull) and then I drag the actionfile onto. By doing that I have full control of the model in the chor only by translating the main part. Hope that make any sense :)

When you get a chance....a close up wire frame.....pretty please?

I just love those clean lines. :P

Peace,

Rob

I think I posted a wireframe earlier in this thread, but I can (if I remember) add a wireframe at the next update.

Thanks again for your comments

Best regards

Stian

I have no words for how much I appreciate your comments and interest

Today I manage to build a few more small decks and a few rangefinders and some other stuff on the aft.

Best regards

Stian

[attachmentid=18127] [attachmentid=18128]

[attachmentid=18129] [attachmentid=18130]

also added an shaded/wire of some of the lifeboats and hangars, not very interesting though :P

[attachmentid=18131]

bismarck_assembled0.jpg

bismarck_assembled1.jpg

bismarck_assembled4.jpg

topandside.jpg

lifeboats_wire.jpg

I thought you were going to enter the contest with this. You should definitely see if you can get onto the front page of "another forum" with it.

The textured version would surely blow them out of the water! :D Then all we'd need is some particle fluid for her to set sail in.

EDIT: I found this site with some nice images of the Bismarck on it:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=21529&

I think the railings on the side will really add to it.

also added an shaded/wire of some of the lifeboats and hangars, not very interesting though

Stian,

Actually, your wire frames are quite interesting and most helpful. I always like to see how the "mechanical masters" solve mechanical issues. You do a great job of softening edges without over modelling, as well as modelling complex surfaces without losing that smooth machined look. I've been working at this for years, with limited success, so any insight into how you go about splining is a pleasure to see. Post them anytime, no matter how big or small. ;)

Thanks and peace,

Rob

Thanks

Stian,

Will and I were disussing water and the use of animated displacement maps to handle the ocean swells.

If it works it would be really neat to test it with your ship.

David

Sounds interesting David, keep me posted :)

Havent had to much time to work on the bismarck these last days, but some I do. Have added more stuff on the aft (a few levels, searchlights and some handrails here and there)

next up is a few more lifeboats and brackets

Best regards

Stian

*edit*

Oh, and I just counted the patches..... 131K

[attachmentid=18243] [attachmentid=18244]

[attachmentid=18245] [attachmentid=18246]

bismarck_assembled0.jpg

bismarck_assembled1.jpg

bismarck_assembled4.jpg

topandside.jpg

131,000 patches begs the question....

How are you going to animate that monster (proxy would be one way).

How large is the project file? My guess is it is still manageable (thinking of it loading in NR).

Very cool.

David

My computer displays the ship at 3.1 FPS fully assembled in the choreography with full subdivision (not that bad actually considering 131K patches). Somehow the decrease subdivision doesn't work in the chor?..., but a proxy would do it I think. The projectfile is approximately 19MB at this point (embedded)

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Theres a certain point where really good becomes freakish...and you've crossed it :P

I modeled a ship a while back but its nothing compared to this monster.

Simply amazing.

post-6232-1152975680_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys

Its time for an new update. Have made a few more lifeboats and decks on the aft. still working on the mast.

Best regards

Stian

[attachmentid=18451] [attachmentid=18452]

[attachmentid=18453] [attachmentid=18454]

bismarck_assembled0.jpg

bismarck_assembled1.jpg

bismarck_assembled4.jpg

topandside.jpg

I really have to ask, what do you plan on doing with this thing? It's a GREAT model, simply superb. It would be neat to see it in a war scene with newton physics added. You know? Blow it up!!! Just a thought. I love war movies and explosions.

I really have to ask, what do you plan on doing with this thing?

Good question, I have no clue... :blink: lol

It would be neat to see it in a war scene with newton physics added. You know? Blow it up!!! Just a thought. I love war movies and explosions.

Good idea. It would be cool to recreate her last moment, before she went down, but I think its to difficult to do though

Stian,

Can you share your AO settings?

Thanks,

David

Sure, but they are nothing more than basic settings:

Global Color:

white

100%

100%

Sampling set to 40

Stian,

Can you share your AO settings?

Thanks,

David

Sure, but they are nothing more than basic settings:

Global Color:

white

100%

100%

Sampling set to 40

Do you have your camera and ground set to white as well?

Thanks,

David

Thanks,

David

Both the camera and ground is set to pure white, while the model is given a touch of grey (222,222,222)

Thanks,

David

Both the camera and ground is set to pure white, while the model is given a touch of grey (222,222,222)

Any other chor lights on?

thanks.

New update.

I made the Arado floatplane tonight.

Not yet made the ramp for it, so I'll just show a standalone render of the plane

[attachmentid=18525]

floatplanes0.jpg

Here is an hi-res render (1920x960) of the boat at current stage in the building process for you to inspect. On this stage I've also finished the masts and I've placed the floatplanes where they ought to be. No ramp there yet though, I'm working on it at this moment

Best regards

Stian

[attachmentid=18542]

bismarck_assembled1Large.jpg

Stian,

Uh, do you get any sleep?

Couple of things here, dude...

1. You're leaving us all in the dust (no one could keep up with this level of modelling in this short a time) good for you!

2. The quality and speed with which you model should have you working full time for somebody, or if for yourself, too busy to spend time doing this for entertainment. Also, good for you!

3. I know this is three things... I can't believe no one has made it possible for you to change your signature line.

I think Ken is right.

I'll just cry.