Hash, Inc. Forums

Project "KM Bismarck"

agep

Thank you for your comments

That turned out nice. I think it needs some dirt and the guns need to be less uniform in position. Then you got a damn fine desktop wallpaper. How's the water done?

I have not yet rigged it so when I do, Ill get those guns in different positions. The water is actually the ocean material on the A:M cd, I believe Sutton made it?

That's awesome! I do have one problem with the renders though: there are no dark hard shadows anywhere on that ship, which make this images look very unrealistic. It looks like you used an IBL exr map, which is good for simple normalized colors, but very bright values in the exr image will create major visible irregularities and take a render downhill.

That's one amazing ship, Agep. Wish I could test her out :P

This render was supposed to use IBL, but I got some artifacts (have had it before, when I try to render the image I get a very blue tint all over, usually I've fixed that by simply restart A:M, but in this case it did not work. So this is an AO with Global Color

Stian,

Excellent renderings.

The ship does look too perfect but I am sure you will address that.

What was the render time for each of those views?

Can you do a view with one of the guns raised and off to the side (long perspective view)? I'd like to try something.

David

Hopefully I'll make some dirtmaps, but at the moment I don't have the time. Unfortunately I've forgotten the rendertimes :( I could try to do a quick pose for the guns (since its not yet rigged) and do a render, but I dont understand what kind of view you want it in... :(

Thanks again

Best regards

Stian

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stian,

I've already said all that I can say. This is positively awesome.

The head on view (front) has no DOF or perspective that I can see. It is so (much) head on that it looks like a round boat with no pointy parts (no bow).

On the other hand.. the modeling is so perfect, I don't give a rip. It's just scary good.

Sigh. Less time commenting on stians work, more work on the batmobile.

Stian,

wonderful, just absolutely fantastic work!

I'm interested in knowing how the response time in the modeller was.

Did you get to a certain patch count where you found that the software really slowed down, even

when making the smallest of changes?

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I've been lurking about this thread for about a week now and I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said, your work simply can't be described properly by my vocabulary. It's quite simply... indescribably beautiful.

Maybe you should model Blucher next and make a flick about what happend to that one? :P

• 3 years later...

Hi guys!

I know this thread is really really old. But I've just rendered out a HD turntable of KM Bismarck to have on my youtube channel.

Thanks guys!

I know that you are a stickler for modelled detail so could you possibly show a closeup of just one of the life boats? ;)

I only have this render at the moment. Its a close up of the midsection of Tirpitz. Tirpitz is just slightly different than Bismarck

tirpitz3.jpg

Well, yeah! That's what I'm talking about! :D

Just so people realise what is on the deck of that enormous model.

You get another "Amazing!" from me.

--------------

Edit:

I should have looked back at the last page of posts. I didn't realise that you had already posted renders with an environment.

Holy Cow that's a lot of detail! That model looks like it's pushing over 100k patches. What are you modeling that with? My computer gets sluggish around 10k patches.
The magic word is "Action Object". I used the Hull as a "Base Model". Then drag and drop the other parts onto the Action. You simply assemble many small models to become one big model. The cannons are one model, the lifeboats are one model and so on

I am using the same technique on the Nidaros Cathedral model, which at the moment consists of 54 separate models with a total of 734,742 patches

Holy Cow that's a lot of detail! That model looks like it's pushing over 100k patches. What are you modeling that with? My computer gets sluggish around 10k patches.
The magic word is "Action Object". I used the Hull as a "Base Model". Then drag and drop the other parts onto the Action. You simply assemble many small models to become one big model. The cannons are one model, the lifeboats are one model and so on

I am using the same technique on the Nidaros Cathedral model, which at the moment consists of 54 separate models with a total of 734,742 patches

You are a very scary man, Stian! Incredible work, as usual.

• 2 years later...

Thanks guys. It is actually not so long ago since last time I worked on this project. Last year I think. I had to brush up the model to be used as book illustrations again

Hey, Stian, is it OK if I use one of your AO renders for a tut on A:M rendering?

"Yes," you say?

Great! Thanks!

Haha, Of course Robert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

I watched a movie today that reminded me of this, "The Battle of River Plate", about the Graf Spee, which is not quite the same as the Bismarck.

It's one of those weird 50's war movies where, in between shooting at each other, everyone is saying how much respect they have for each other. But it had a few scenes with those small, boat-launched seaplanes like in Stian's model here.

Most of the film used real ships but the planes were rather unconvincing miniatures, they should have had Stian and A:M!

image7.png