Hash, Inc. Forums

Rigging two tubes inside one another

TheJunglist

So hashers, I need a principle check here to make sure my idea for rigging this part of a model will work. I would like to rig two tubes, one inside another with "spline lines" around the outertube. I would like to have both tubes move by using a null grabpoint in the middle of the outertube, with the ends of the tube pointed at nullachors; or as it will be used attached to geometry. Now what I think I need to do is use IK and orient-like constraints and compensate mode to IK the second Bone chain ,which is the inner tube, to the First Bone Chain (Outer) which has the middle bone of it iked and "orient-liked" to the nullgrabpoint. With the ends bones of each chain aiming at null achors, i hope to move both tubes with one null then be able to move the inner tube independently of the outter with another null. So if this isnt confusing enough :blink: heres the proj file an image in a zip.

Yes they are supposed to be bendable. Sorry i wasnt more clear. I want to be able to pull the inner tube out of the outer tube after they both are manipulated(hopefully by the null near the center because this is where another model will be touching these tubes as they are moving).

• Hash Fellow

since you have so many bones in them it must be a really complex shape they have to be bent into.

well, i can sort of see utilizing a path constraint in this venture but explaining it will be tough.

It will about 2 minutes total, with about 1 minute of it having complex motion...i have refined the rig i built got rid of some bones like you suggested, and just built the contraints into it by childing the innertube bones to the corresponding outertube bones. In an action im getting the kind of motion i want just hope it will give me enough control when it comes time to pull the innertube out of the outer one. :rolleyes: I will post the avi generate for the test when it finishes rendering. Thanks for the advice about the bones, i tend to go to complex frist off :D

heres the avi. avi