Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walasek

AMTex animation export problem

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I'm trying to export animations using AMTex. I have been able to export the model fine (without animations) and everything looks fine. As soon as I add the animations, the exported .X file animations distort from what I see in AM.

This isn't a simple, hand moves too far - they are completely off (like IK -vs- FK). They also distort the mesh of the original model.

I have tried it with a couple models (Lambrina from main CD, and Jason from extra CD) with very simple animations (just moving the arms in the air).

Anyone have any ideas on this?

If you need the .X files, I can upload them somewhere for you to take a look at.

Arthur Walasek

Arthur,

I got your email on this issue as well, but since you've posted on the boards, and since it might be beneficial to other users, I figured I would respond here.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, and if you'd like to email me a zip of the model/animation/.x files that are not working for you, I'd be happy to take a look. One question I have though, is what .X file viewer are you using? There is an issue with the new DirectX SDK viewers that causes animation issues. I'm not sure if this is the problem you're having, but it's covered in the AMXtex help doc under the FAQ question "Why does my model look/animate wrong when using the 2005+ versions of the DirectX 9 SDK Mesh Viewer?"

If that's not the issue, please send me the files, and I'll see what I can find.

I was hoping that this issue had been fixed, but alas it was not (in the later releases).

I finally downloaded the old DirectX SDK and installed the mview.exe application (I will put it up somewhere when I get home so others can have a download link to it so they wont have to download the whole SDK to get the one mview.exe program).

It worked great except for one problem. I am using the Jason model from the Extras CD. It appears as though the eyes section does not move with the rest of the model (they stay in their default position). Perhaps it is a naming problem for that group? Perhaps it is duplicate groups covering the same patches? I'm not too sure, but it should be trivial for you to try out for yourself. Use the Jason model and create a simple animation where the head moves... and export...

I really didn't think that other viewer would help... I was very wrong...

Anyone having any weird problems should use the old viewer and export... I learned my lesson (RTFM and believe what it says :) )

Thanks for the help,

Arthur

That's great to hear, I'm glad it's working for you!

As for the Jason model, I did a simple move where he bends to the side, and the eyes moved with the model as I would expect. Did you mean that the eyes don't move within their sockets, or that when the model moves, the eyes pop out of his head?

The eyes pop out of the head...

This is with v13 beta 4, fyi. It seems there are 2 groups of cps that dont move. 1 is the eyeball itself, and the other is something around the eyeball. If you want I can send you the files.

BTW - it moves fine within AM, just on the export.

Maybe its one of the exporter options (i.e. duplicate vertices, etc)...

Arthur

I just tried it with the final release of v13 and still the same problems... The eyeballs do not move with the rest of the model on export. Any idea on what is causing this?

Arthur Walasek

arthurwalasek@comcast.net

Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing the problem. I created a new action for Jason using the v13 final release, and the eyeballs moved with the rest of the model. What options are you using to export? If you want to send me a zip of the model/action that you're using, along with a screenshot of the options that you're using, I'd be happy to take a look.

I just tried it with the final release of v13 and still the same problems... The eyeballs do not move with the rest of the model on export. Any idea on what is causing this?

Arthur Walasek

arthurwalasek@comcast.net

Arthur: maybe you are exporting at 4 polys per patch (or more) and Chris is using 1 poly per patch? I got some small issues when exporting more than 1 poly per patch, since AMXTex (or the AM sdk?) tries to guess to which bone it will attach the newly-created intermediary Vertices. Well, it's not very probable that this is the problem, but it's a chance.

Second tip: I strongly recommend you to download FRAGMOTION from www.fragmosoft.com. I used the trial as a model-viewer and multi format converter, and it's far better than any MS viewer. Even from opening the .X models and saving them again as .X

Fragmotion opens .X models very well, and often files that open bad in Meshview or such, open OK in fragmotion. I ended up paying the small registration fee.

Third tip: If you export normals, always check 'Ignore duplicate normals' in AMXtex. Otherwise your mesh will be segmented at export. (flat, separated faces instead of smoothing group). If this is the case, you can use the simple command 'WELD ALL' in fragmotion. The problem with MeshView is that it directly starts on the animation (there's no 'STILL' frame), and you have to weld the vertices in a STILL frame so the animation doesnt distort the fragmented mesh.