Hash, Inc. Forums

A:M Demoreel

I hesitate to post this in Showcase, these clips are mostly execises and wips, but since I probably will not revisit most of them I'll consider them finished. These were done with versions 8.5 all the way thru ver 12. All models are mine with the exception of one clip that contains the Mt Hash model in the background, and of course, Thom and the Knight's helmet and sword. And oh yeah, those are my kids in the rotoscope shot.

http://home.alltel.net/collinsfamily04/AMDemoSmallSound.mov

Cory

• Admin

Outstanding work Cory. Color me impressed.

Your demo includes a lot of things I'd never seen from you.

The last time I saw a collection of quality animation shorts like this was from some guy named Victor Navone... wonder whatever happened to that guy?

In other words... Keep on animating!

Look forward to seeing you in the movies. :)

Great reel! But you ought to take out the stuff in the beginning, it's no good compared to the 2nd half.

Only put the best stuff in your reel, even if it makes it a lot shorter. It's quality, not quantity.

• Hash Fellow

Yeah, there's some good shots there. I agree about re-ordering it and maybe eliminating some shots that are showing the same sort of motion that has been shown in others.

They always say shorter is better in demoreels. Pick out your best 40 seconds and see what sort of a reel that is.

Thanks Everyone,

What specifically would you cut, and what order changes? Should I include some shots of my creature sculptures? They look pretty nice too imho. Or would anyone really care?

Cory

Cory,

Where are you looking to apply, and what position do you want to apply for? These things will influence what you should have on your reel.

For instance, a big house like Pixar or Blue Sky will have a list of things they want to see on a demo reel. They won't be particularly interested in seeing animation if you're applying for a modeler position, either.

In general, you can cut everything up to, and including, the stuff of thom swinging a sword. If you're looking to be an animator, you could stick the clip of the ant sidestepping along the wall back in, but I'd suggest polishing it up some more.

For Modeling jobs, you'll want to show wireframe, gray, and textured turntable shots of your models. If you're applying for a modeling job, you can include shots of your sculptures, at the end.

For TD positions, you can show the wireframes, The rig, and a few shots of the rig in motion.

For animation jobs, you'll want to show different types of motion. Blue Sky and Pixar both have lists, but the things that most people agree are most important are showing emotion, and transferring weight. (There's more to it than that, I'm simplifying). Some studios, even big houses, may also want their animators to be able to rig if need be, so check their reel requirements.

If you rigged everything yourself (Without TSM or a universal rig like the Eggington or Squetch rig) I'd say put together a combo modeler/TD reel. You could get a job.

If you want, tonight I'll look on CGTalk and see if I can dig up some links to some good reels.

Make sure you render everything at DVD resolution, so that it looks its best. Pic good music, preferably instrumental.

Nice work...the only thing that seemed out of place in the early stuff was the red cloth cape coming through the character.. The creatures set is awesome

Thanks,

I just stepped thru the cape animation again and I don't see where it passes thru his body. Even though this was done with 8.5's cloth wizard, it does seem to do what it was supposed to do. It looks as if *maybe* the very last cp "hangs" slightly on the mesh as it passes by, but other than that I don't see where it passes thru.

I thought the motion of the character shows a lot. It's a pretty complex move to animate.

Cory

Cory,

Where are you looking to apply, and what position do you want to apply for? These things will influence what you should have on your reel.

If you want, tonight I'll look on CGTalk and see if I can dig up some links to some good reels.

Make sure you render everything at DVD resolution, so that it looks its best. Pic good music, preferably instrumental.

Brainmuffin,

Thanks, but you don't need to do all of that. I'm not really looking for a job per se. I just want a little work, maybe on some independent production, or something like that. I'm really a little too old to be starting out at Pixar or the like. Although paying work would be appreciated :) I want something to show potential production outfits. Maybe drum up some freelance work. I dunno :huh:

Thnks,

Cory

Outstanding work Cory. Color me impressed.

Your demo includes a lot of things I'd never seen from you.

The last time I saw a collection of quality animation shorts like this was from some guy named Victor Navone... wonder whatever happened to that guy?

In other words... Keep on animating!

Look forward to seeing you in the movies. :)

Thanks Rodney, but I'm not worthy of that comparison :)

If you want to see me in the movies, next time you are in Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, see if they have a copy of a movie called "Despiser". If they do, rent it, and watch the "making of" featurette. Then you'll see me in the movies :) It's not a bad movie, it just had a terribly low budget. This was my first semi pro work, we made it about five or six years ago. Okay, okay, my work was pretty bad, but it was done before I discovered A:M with a software package that was very hard to do character animation with. But some areas shine, I'm still proud of it, and it did get releasesd internationally. :)

Cory

• Admin

Cory,

No wonder then that your animation has that cinematic feel.

Your experience shines through in your reel. To me it looked as if it were made by someone with an understanding of cinematography. A lot of demo reels don't have that. Not that I've seen all that many mind you...

"Despiser" eh? I'll have to look that one up.

Cory,

No wonder then that your animation has that cinematic feel.

Your experience shines through in your reel. To me it looked as if it were made by someone with an understanding of cinematography. A lot of demo reels don't have that. Not that I've seen all that many mind you...

"Despiser" eh? I'll have to look that one up.

Rodney,

Don't get me wrong here, I'm no Cinemaphotographer. But if you do watch the movie, you will see the other guy, Phil Cook, is a vastly talented filmaker. I may have picked a few tips from him, we have done a few projects together. I just handled the creature design, modelling and animation. (Seems to be my specialty)

Cory

Here's the link to the trailer for DESPISER. Looks like an interesting film. I'd say that the character animation looks to be about the best part of the CGI in this film! :D

I'm gonna see if I can track this film down.

Maybe some day I can talk Cory into working on one of my films! ;)

Here's the link to the trailer for DESPISER. Looks like an interesting film. I'd say that the character animation looks to be about the best part of the CGI in this film! :D

I'm gonna see if I can track this film down.

Maybe some day I can talk Cory into working on one of my films! ;)

Well, yep there it is. Since we are really drifting OT here I'll just end it by saying: it's a good movie for what it is,even though A:M wasn't used in it, and we have two more scripts written and one in pre-production that will use A:M extensively.

PS-You don't have to track too hard, here it is-

http://www.eaglefilms.com/despiser/DespiserWebsite.htm

Cory

The mixing of Animation and Live action reminded me of Tiberium Sun cinimatics. The live action characters were light softly while the CGI was light with hard lighting (most likely due to blood screening). The animations looked great in the film, but some of the models looked over the top. In one of the shots I couldn't tell what I was looking at; I think it was a scene where something was going to blow up and then the wall opened up like the hull of the Titanic. It was hard to tell. Your Animation:Master models look much better than what was in the movie, as well as their animations.

Cory,

Brainmuffin,

Thanks, but you don't need to do all of that. I'm not really looking for a job per se. I just want a little work, maybe on some independent production, or something like that. I'm really a little too old to be starting out at Pixar or the like. Although paying work would be appreciated :) I want something to show potential production outfits. Maybe drum up some freelance work. I dunno :huh:

Thnks,

Cory

Are you working on TWO? that might be what you are looking for?

Cory,

I think that your demo reel is looking good. Excellent characters! I especially like the multi-legged creature. The logistics of animating so many limbs, and making it visually believable, I find daunting. I congratulate you on your skill and talent.

As far as the cape issue, I have viewed that segment frame by frame, and believe that it "could be" nothing more than color choices. Both the cape and the loin cloth being the same color, may be creating visual confusion. Maybe, by changing the color of the loin cloth, or the cape, the individual elements would read better. The dynamic movement of the cape was really well done! I wish you the best. :)

Aloha

Are you working on TWO? that might be what you are looking for?

I just signed on. Maybe I could learn a thing or two, and help out at the same time.

Cory

Cory,

I think that your demo reel is looking good. Excellent characters! I especially like the multi-legged creature. The logistics of animating so many limbs, and making it visually believable, I find daunting. I congratulate you on your skill and talent.

As far as the cape issue, I have viewed that segment frame by frame, and believe that it "could be" nothing more than color choices. Both the cape and the loin cloth being the same color, may be creating visual confusion. Maybe, by changing the color of the loin cloth, or the cape, the individual elements would read better. The dynamic movement of the cape was really well done! I wish you the best. :)

Aloha

Aloha,

Thanks,

I don't think I even have the older files to change. Oh well, seems popular demand to cut those anyhow. :) Maybe I can get some part time work from it. That's all I am looking for. ;)

Cory

This is one cool reel...

I have to say that ant part of the demo looks a bit too unpolished compared to the rest of it...

Cloth simulation part: cape and groincloth are of the same colour and when I wached it for the first time I was certain that capes passed through poor Thom ;P

Other than that, fantastic! Your creatures are very frightening and have air of reality about them.

Keep us posted!

I'm really a little too old to be starting out at Pixar or the like.

WHAT!? Too OLD!!!? Come on man!!! Your stuff looks really good. Yes your reel needs editing and some of the animation can be a little more polished but your work is VERY impressive. Why not try and go for that "Big Studio" gig or maybe even a games studio? I see potential in you. The worst they could say to you is "No Thanks". You got nothing to loose from where I see it!

If you don't want to move because you like to stay close to family and friends then why not try a smaller/medium size outfit near where you live? Could be worth a looking into.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dimos

P.S. Did you rig everything yourself from scratch or did you use something like TSM?

from the website:

"Despiser" is the tightly scripted tale of a washed-up, out-of-work artist ... making an unexpected visit to purgatory ...

Yikes!!! - Sounds realllyyyyy scary - Is this a true story? (except for the washed up part) ;)

Love your demo reel - and yes parts can be edited

This is one cool reel...

I have to say that ant part of the demo looks a bit too unpolished compared to the rest of it...

Cloth simulation part: cape and groincloth are of the same colour and when I wached it for the first time I was certain that capes passed through poor Thom ;P

Other than that, fantastic! Your creatures are very frightening and have air of reality about them.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

I liked the ant, it seems pretty obvious it was my first A:M creation. Stretching my wings as it were.

I'll keep you posted.

Cory

I'm really a little too old to be starting out at Pixar or the like.

WHAT!? Too OLD!!!? Come on man!!! Your stuff looks really good. Yes your reel needs editing and some of the animation can be a little more polished but your work is VERY impressive. Why not try and go for that "Big Studio" gig or maybe even a games studio? I see potential in you. The worst they could say to you is "No Thanks". You got nothing to loose from where I see it!

If you don't want to move because you like to stay close to family and friends then why not try a smaller/medium size outfit near where you live? Could be worth a looking into.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dimos

P.S. Did you rig everything yourself from scratch or did you use something like TSM?

Dimos,

Thanks. Yeah, I've got a big family and we just had to relocate for my job recently. I don't think starting animators make what I would need to make. ESpecially if I had to move to the west coast. There is a studio here in Winston Salem NC. I'll polish up my reel and send it to them and see what they say. I think they use another software package that shall remain nameless. ( that I don't own )

Well, I rigged some parts myself, and I plucked other parts from the 2001 rig. Why re-invent the wheel, you know? I have started to use relationships quite a bit as well. I really like those.

Cory

from the website:

"Despiser" is the tightly scripted tale of a washed-up, out-of-work artist ... making an unexpected visit to purgatory ...

Yikes!!! - Sounds realllyyyyy scary - Is this a true story? (except for the washed up part) ;)

Love your demo reel - and yes parts can be edited

Nancy,

It is not true, except for the washed up part. :)

Cory