Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

the handaling machine

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

verry nice.. but in my own opinion i find the legs to be rather "too" simple

I agree with Dark here. It looks good but could use a bit more detail in the legs.

A possible suggestion is to maybe spit the leg into two cylinders and have them function with sort of a hydraulic spring mechanism system. Look on line at actual robots to see how they work. Dark_Jedi has an awesome droid model from the Star Wars movies that has a cool leg design that you could borrow from.

Ask yourself these questions:

What is your power source?

This brings ideas of a central power source that might glow to add a cool effect.

What allows your robot to move?

What allows it to bend it's leg?

What counter force slows it down?

What fuels it?

These questions are important because there needs to be a logical understanding of how your droid/robot uses his legs. By defining this, you then can get ideas of how to model it with greater detail.

Like Black_Mage said, adding wires or maybe hydraulic tubes would definitely add more detail but don't just throw in random wires or tubes. Try to imagine a purpose for them.

Obviously you're not designing a real robot but the more you think out the design, the more realistic it will be and subsquently, the more detail it will have.

Hope this helps.

Jeetman

EDIT: I found this pic when I did a search on google for robots and clicked on images. Just to give an idea of more detail http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...GLG:en%26sa%3DN

EDIT: Oh man! This one blew my mind!!!! THIS is detail LOL

[attachmentid=17407]

roboaltaperspect.jpg

ok i finished the leg so heres a before and after pic all in one :P

[attachmentid=17433]

now i just need to ad the other 4 legs which is the easy part the hard part will be the riging BM thats ware you come in :huh:

post-8557-1150191457_thumb.jpg

Nice, one thing...

How large is the machine supposed to be? And what is the machine made of?

If it's a few inches long and made of lightweight plastic then n/m. But if its several feet long (or larger) and made of metal.. that hydraulic seems really flimsy for something so heavy.

thats the point the martians were suppose to be masters at engineering and technology so i'm guessing that they don't need that much to support and move there vehicles and this machine is about as big as two bears put end to end

now what jeetman showed is a kik ass leg.

it also is a good example of what i ment.. your leg was the same design all the way down.. while eatch section of that leg. and the joints. were all different.

ps. i like how you fixed it up