Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How do I restrict pivot translation?

I'm starting from scratch working through the David Rogers book. When it comes to making a torus without rotating the to-be-lathed circle, but instead moving the pivot point, I'm unable to get the pivot PRECISELY where I want it. I can move the x/y/z position in the manipulator properties window, but is there a precise way to rotate the pivot axes, to make SURE it ends up rotated 90 degrees (or otherwise) and not 89? Is there something I can hold down when rotating so that it automatically snaps in 5 (or other) degree increments, or somewhere in the PWS where it shows the rotation? Also, when translating the pivot, is there a way to restrict the translation to one axis, like holding 1, 2, or 3 down when moving CPs?

I'm re-learning what I've already learned, so I'll have a bevy of new, stupid questions. Be prepared!

Thanks,

Mark

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there something I can hold down when rotating so that it automatically snaps in 5 (or other) degree increments, or somewhere in the PWS where it shows the rotation?

No.

Also, when translating the pivot, is there a way to restrict the translation to one axis, like holding 1, 2, or 3 down when moving CPs?

No.

Niels.

ps.

As I recall, the snap-to-grid is also not in function when in comes to the 'pivot-point'.

If you go on the request feature tour, please ask for a [sHIFT]+[Y]. (Add CP in the middle without affecting the curve)

• Hash Fellow

If you activate "Show Manipulator Properties" you get an onscreen display that will at least track the XYZ location of the pivot point; noting those values could tell you if you have moved only on X Y or Z.

[attachmentid=17336]

Alas, it doesn't track the pivots rotation. Submit a feature request to AM Reports to suggest that.

Named "groups" do store their pivot rotation and location:

excerpt from model file:

[GROUP]

Name=testgroup

Matrix=-4.37114e-008 1 0 0 -1 -4.37114e-008 0 -0.578563 0 0 1 0

Count=48

Pivot=0 -0.578563 0

[ENDGROUP]

although not in an easy to read form.

ShowManips.png

You can restrict the pivot's translation to the x, y and z axis.

As robcat suggested, activate the "Show Manipulator Properties" but rather than just tracking the location of the pivot as you move it, you can actually click on the figures to the right of the X-Pivot:, Y-Pivot or Z-Pivot displays, and type in the new x, y or z pivot position.

This same function is also available in the properties section under the title "Pivot" (surprise surprise) so there is no need to open the "Show Manipulator Properties" if you don't wish to, you can just make your x,y and z translation changes in the properties section. It just depends on how you like to work and what is easiest for you.

As for being able to rotate in say 5 degree increments ... this is also possible. Go into Tools/Options and select the "Units" tab. In here you will see an entry titled "Rotate snap angle" just enter the angle you wish e.g 5 and click OK to close the window. Now when you rotate the pivot it snaps in 5 degree increments. This makes it very easy to control the rotation.

Gerard

Hello Gerard,

There is not a way to restrict the pivot when moving it, like holding down keypress [1],[2], or [3].

When p.a. the rotationangle is set to 2 degrees, there is not a key you can hold down, so it snaps at p.a. 5 degrees.

Niels.

ps.

Like you said "It just depends on how you like to work and what is easiest for you."

ps2.

What a didn't know for a time, is that you can move the translucent box, when it is in front of p.a. CP(s) to select.

[EDIT] I do understand you meant it in a helpful way. :)

Hi C-grid,

You're quite correct ... there are NO keys you can hold down to achieve what "someawfulbridge" was trying to achieve. I was just trying to make available some possible alternatives in light of that fact.

Like you, I also discovered the ability to move the translucent box some time ago ... it's amazing what you uncover the more you muck around with this software.

Gerard

I was just trying to make available some possible alternatives in light of that fact.

Yes, I know, my response was more for clearity but not against you, I recognized your goal.

it's amazing what you uncover the more you muck around with this software.

Totally agree on that one.

Niels.

ps.

Did you do some 'mega'-discoveries lately of wich you want to share? :)

• Admin

Mark (Niels, Gerard and everyone else),

While not a full solution one possible assist you may get in the rotating of your pivot is the Pie Cutter feature in A:M's Chor window.

I mention this because the feature works with all bones (root and otherwise) as well as groups of objects in the Chor. To assist in lathing... nah this won't do anything for you. You might be able to control some more precision with lathing using Emilio's Sweeper plugin though.

A related note of importance that sneaks by many an A:M user is that Named Groups store your Pivot settings. If you don't name your group the pivot location is disregarded but if you name your group A:M will remember the settings of translation, rotation etc. for that Group within the Object. I've noticed what appears to be improved control of these Named Group pivot settings in Grouped Objects in the choreography objects area of the PWS.

Attached image just shows the Pie Cutter increment feature displaying the degree of rotatation (in this case via the root bone) in a Chor. In my case I've got it adjusting in 5 degree increments but (as has been mentioned) you can change the increment in TOOL/OPTIONS on the UNITS tabs. I believe the smallest increment available is 1 degree which is about all the precision I generally need. I guess I could wish for Mils but who else would use them?

PivotPie.jpg

Hello Rodney,

You just like birthday's or is it really called Pie Cutter..., since I've been calling it rotation-wheel in my head.

Robcat2075 and you, made me realize how to reset the pivot when in need to.

Niels.