Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A couple Short Film Still Frames

Here are two stills from a short film that is slated to be finished by august. It has both live action and 3D. I'll probably post some more about it as it nears completion but I thought it would be nice to show a tiny portion of what Animation Master is doing!

-Ethan

[attachmentid=17117]

[attachmentid=17118]

post-341-1149017138_thumb.jpg

post-341-1149017159_thumb.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that in the first picture we are looking at a man who is viewing image 2 in a translucent display, so we are actually looking at it from the back. If that is the case, wouldn't the image be mirrored (left to right), or am I just looking at it wrong.

Thanks,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Dude,

That is awesome!!! , I love your textures and water and lighting and rendering- What rendering setup are you using other than 5x5 multipass?. I would love to know more.

Keep us posted

Loving it

Tim

Thanks for the comments guys! I've been working pretty hard on the lighting look so far and we are getting decent results but I am having some trouble keeping it consistant. It's surprising how much things seem to change just moving the camera to a different location in the chor.

As for the lighting question I suppose it's an attempt at a sort of simulated radiosity. One major sunlight with numerous additional lights to try and mimic bounce lighting. Might seem like a detail but it seems to help quite a bit. Then 16x multipass with DOF to soften things up; 25x if I can afford the time. The 70 second opening shot these stills were taken from took 8 slaves 53 hours to unload at 25x. Also, interestingly enough, shadow maps took significantly longer to render with this scene than raytraced shadows.

-Ethan

• 1 year later...

Ethan:

did you ever finish this short? If so, where can wee see it? I've been waiting a long time to see this.

On a technical note, how did you get that nice transition of the water from the shore - pretty much clear water - to the deeper parts of the ocean - very dark blue? I've tried transparency, water color, density, etc, but nothing as pleasing as what you've got.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

Ah thanks for the interest! I've been waiting so long to finish this as well... Sigh. It's still in progress but only in my very limited spare time. I have most of the film (about 20 minutes) as roughed shaded renders where everything pretty much does what's it supposed to but the animation isn't refined and the lighting (apart from my base island scene) isn't completed. There is unfortunately probably a good 2 months of work left on it and I simply haven't been able to find those two months. I've even got 2 animators standing by waiting to help me but I don't have the time to organize the effort. One of these days it will happen.

As for the look I tinkered with the water for a long time. The final resulting image comes from a water plane with a hole cut in it with a transparency map and displacement to give it the ripples. This is reflecting the sky sphere for the water coloring, and then a texture map on the ground itself extending into the water gives it the deeper water look as well as the "wet" sand. So it's cheating quite a bit.

Hope that helps a little, if you get any where on some water I'd love to see the results!

-Ethan