Hash, Inc. Forums

BATMOBILE PROJECT

oakchas

You guys are right! It's not really half a bubble, but it is certainly more convex than what I have modelled so far. Here's a picture:

[attachmentid=20370]

My main concern at the moment is getting the frame to fit onto the body. Then I will fix the glass and hopefully make it look right.

post-8893-1157712211_thumb.jpg

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's just a tiny update. Really it's also a bit of experimentation, as well. Instead of posting pictures like I usually do, I thought I'd try to use Hash's new HA:MR plugin so you superior modellers could actually look at my model in full 3D and give me some good advice on how to improve things.

Here's the link:

Batmobile HA:MR Test

Please let me know if this works for you, because I have had ZERO luck using the plugin myself where other people say it works great.

As always, thanks for your time and assistance.

Hey T-Dog,

The HAMR model looks great! I got a pop up that said "error loading string 4303" but the model loaded anyway. It's not supposed to have wheels and an interior yet, right? When the scene loaded, The view was from under the car, looking up at it, and the perspective view made it look real funky, so I changed to orthogonal view and zoomed out a little and was able to view it just fine. It's looking great so far.

I'm not sure what the error message means. Can you send the project zip file to AM Reports? The more data Ken C. has, the more stable he'll be able to make the plugin.

Thanks, Homeslice!

Yes, it is just a partial model right now with no interior or wheels.

Even on the standalone HA:MR viewer the model opens in a very strange view. You can click on orthogonal view and it will work fine even if you go back and click on perspective view afterwards. I'll send Ken a copy of my model and see what he can figure out.

I'm using FireFox 1.5 on my Mac 4 but it won't open.

Thomas

Sadly, at this early stage in the plugin's development, only IE on Windows is supported. However, I think as soon as the kinks are worked out of the IE/Win plugin, Ken Chaffin will start working on a Mac/Win plugin for gecko based browsers like Firefox. That's probably not going to happen though for several months.

"Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed."

Your Batmobile is looking great! Keep up the good work on it.

I tried to load the HA:MR file, and get the following error. When I click on OK, IE closes its window. At work, I am running Windows XP SP1 and IE 6.

[attachmentid=20590]

problem.jpg

I got the same error, I think that usually means there is a reference to an image or something in the project file that wasn't included in the zip file. It would work on T_Dogg's machine because the image (or file) exits on his machine in the path specified by the project, but when he uploads it, that particular file is no longer accessible. I think Ken Chaffin said in the HAMR forum that the next release of the web Viewer will fix that issue ...somehow.

hey it works! cool. Do you have transparency set for the windshield? Transparency *should* work in the web viewer. Anything that works in AM's realtime render mode should work in the web viewer, but the windshield looks completely opaque to me. If you have set the windshield to be transparent, could you upload your HAMR zip file to AM Reports (under WEB HAMR) so Ken can take a look at it?

I have been away from AM for several months now.

saw erics updated S7 and must say very nice mate.

which led me to this wip thread and i have to say that this is the best thread i have read on any forum.

I think that this should be the way to go for new users of any program, have the newbie taken under wing.

Great work guys, looking foward as well to seeing the final render.

JTB

Do you have transparency set for the windshield?

I'm basically just modelling right now and not really doing too much with the other settings, so it's probably not set to be transparent. I'll try to remember to change that next time I update it. So far I've really only added some of the red stripes as the mood has hit me.

I have been away from AM for several months now.

saw erics updated S7 and must say very nice mate.

which led me to this wip thread and i have to say that this is the best thread i have read on any forum.

I think that this should be the way to go for new users of any program, have the newbie taken under wing.

Great work guys, looking foward as well to seeing the final render.

JTB

Thank you so much for the kind words! :) It helps keep me going on this project when I feel myself getting pulled in so many different directions.

T-Dogg,

I too want to congratulate you on your progress. As I said in an earlier post, this is my favorite WIP. The model is really coming along and I can't wait to see the completed work.

One question:

This started out as a joint project.....where's Oakchas??

Anyway, keep up the outstanding work my friend :)

Jeetman

One question:

This started out as a joint project.....where's Oakchas??

I wish I knew, Jeetman! Hopefully all is well with him.

I have a question for those of you who have viewed my HA:MR file. Currently my winshield has 2 surfaces for the glass. Would it be better to just have one? I wanted to give it a little thickness, and I also read somewhere that glass models should have 2 surfaces to get better reflection or refraction or something..... but when I turn on transparency for my glass as I have in the newest HA:MR version (I think transparency is set around 65%), I get wierd patterns in the glass.

• 1 month later...

I started working on the tires. I still need to add the bat emblems, but this is what I have so far.

[attachmentid=22066]

I admit, they aren't very detailed, but I think they look OK.

Looks good T-Dogg!

I'm glad you're not giving up on this. When it's completed, you'll have a great feeling of accomplishment and a kick ass model to use in Batman projects!!!! Remember, the model is only the beginning.

George

A few hours ago I decided to scrap those generic-looking rims and start modelling some slightly more detailed ones from scratch. I also finally got around to modelling the bat emblems. I am pretty happy with the way these tires turned out.

[attachmentid=22099]

Here's how they look on the car.

[attachmentid=22100]

It's really starting to shape up now, but there is still so much left to do. Sometimes I wonder if I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this project. But at times like this, when I feel like I've made some progress, it makes me feel proud and helps keep me going for at least a little while longer... until I start getting frustrated again. :-)

I am going to try to finish the body and chasis and then get to work on the interior.

post-8893-1163086003_thumb.jpg

post-8893-1163086151_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rodney! Things haven't been going as quickly as they first were, but I am still plugging along.

I need to update my HA:MR file with the newer model. I actually need to play around more with webHA:MR and learn how to really use it. It's a great way to show off a WIP and let other modellers see exactly what you're doing, but we all know it has a lot more potential than that. I need to really tap into it so I can do something with it once I finish this model.

I needed a break from modelling, so I gave in to the urge to make some kind of animation using my Batmobile model even though it is still in an unfinished state. So I played around some and came up with a short looping animation of a night drive through Gotham City.

I used the "Caped Wonder" model I got off the Hash ftp as my driver. I give thanks to whoever created and shared it.

The animation is HERE for the time being. It's a 10MB Quicktime movie file using the .h264 codec. I probably should have added the theme song again and some car noises, but since it was just a quick bit of playing around, it has no sound.

The buildings might look somewhat distorted. There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture.... Wait a minute, that's the wrong show!!! Actually, I distorted things on purpose trying to convey some sense of the strangeness that is Gotham City. If the style looks somewhat hodgepodge, it's because I used ideas from the comic books, the TV show and even Hanna-Barbera cartoons... all thrown together in a 13 second loop. :lol:

I hope you will like it. :)

Maybe after I finish the car model I'll return to this project and add in some sounds and work in a few of my other ideas to give it a more finished look... but who knows?

T-Dogg,

Holy seamless animations Batman, you've got it looping perfectly! :D

To do that, the buildings must be on a circlular model that you're rotating right?

-Jim

Yes, that was the concept! However, I didn't have a perfect circle. What I did was model 3 basic building shapes... then I started putting copies of them together in a row. I scaled the heights on some and flipped some on the x-axis to try to make it look like there were more buildings than I had actually modelled. Then I selected the whole row and used duplicator. I ended up with a large pentagon shaped group. After that, I used the magnet tool and started distorting the buildings to give it that screwy look and again to make it look like they weren't all alike. I rotated the group in an action. Then I slapped a single 4 point patch in the middle that remained stationary. This was originally done just to hide the backs of the rotating buildings from the camera. It became even more useful though when I came up with the idea to decal the Bat-signal onto it.

Holy potholes Batman; Gotham streets are in desperate need of repairs :D

Hahaha! You're definitely right, Dhar! There are a lot of potholes, and I think even an occasional speed bump!!! All those superhero battles in Gotham definitely give the road crews job security!

The original animation looked somewhat dead, so I went into the timeline and started slapping keyframes onto the Batmobile's y-axis translation. After that, I had to go back and put a translate constraint on Batman because I hadn't done it earlier!!!

Using Paintshop Pro I experimented with some filters to create some different effects. There were 399 frames of animation, but PSP's batch processing worked like a champ. I ended up with a Black&White version, a sketch version, and a couple of others.

I know I am probably doing a lot of things wrong in my processes, but I am still learning as I go. So any pointers you guys can give me on modelling, and animation as well, is always appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The original animation looked somewhat dead, so I went into the timeline and started slapping keyframes onto the Batmobile's y-axis translation. After that, I had to go back and put a translate constraint on Batman because I hadn't done it earlier!!!

Using Paintshop Pro I experimented with some filters to create some different effects. There were 399 frames of animation, but PSP's batch processing worked like a champ. I ended up with a Black&White version, a sketch version, and a couple of others.

I know I am probably doing a lot of things wrong in my processes, but I am still learning as I go. So any pointers you guys can give me on modelling, and animation as well, is always appreciated.

The animation looks very cool T-Dogg. Just imagine the camera angles you can use after you finish the model!

The model is coming along nicely. Keep it up!

Also....LOL I thought I was the only one who used Paintshop Pro here. All I ever hear used is photoshop. Nice to know there are others out there hehe.

George

The animation looks very cool T-Dogg. Just imagine the camera angles you can use after you finish the model!

The model is coming along nicely. Keep it up!

Also....LOL I thought I was the only one who used Paintshop Pro here. All I ever hear used is photoshop. Nice to know there are others out there hehe.

George

Yeah, I love PSP. It might not have all the bells and whistles that Photoshop has, but I really believe it can do everything I need. I paid around $50 for PSP X when it was marked down right before PSP XI came out. I'm just a hobbyist, so what it came down to for me is this: Does Photoshop really do enough to warrant me paying $600 more than I paid for PSP? In my case, the answer was a huge, resounding NO!!!

By the way, I was at a local Best Buy store the other day and they had some copies of PSP X marked down to $9.99!!! I was kinda PO'ed. :D

I don't have any updates to show this time around. I am really struggling of late. I've been trying to work in A:M at least an hour a day, but more often than not I find that I spend the hour working only to end up with results that I don't like. So I end up deleting it and having nothing to show for my time. It's frustrating.

I remember hearing that every artist has to make a thousand bad drawings before he gets a good one. (I think it might have been Chuck Jones who said that.) Perhaps modelling is the same way. Maybe I have to struggle through 1000 bad hours to get to that one good one. Unfortunately, at an hour a day that adds up to almost 3 years!

• 4 months later...

I've been really busy lately with other things, as well as other projects in A:M, and I've let the Batmobile Project fall by the wayside. I do pull it out and work on it from time to time when I'm frustrated with my other projects, so it hasn't been completely forgotten.

I haven't really added anything new except for that emergency-whatever handle that hangs down in the middle. However, I have tweaked a lot of different areas of the mesh. When you compare my previous side view (top) to my current side view (bottom), you can see some of the changes. I raised the top of the front fender. I also lowered the area around the windshield. I think it looks much nicer now.

post-8893-1180539085_thumb.jpg

The things you can't really see are all the minor adjustments to the glass and the console(?) in the middle. I made a lot of adjustments to the bias handles to prevent intersections of their surfaces. I also discovered a lot of normals that were pointing the wrong way and fixed those. I try to watch that as I am modelling, but apparently I need to do a much better job of it.

I've started doing a little work on the interior, but I have nothing worth showing at this point.

I know it isn't a lot to show for over 5 months since my last posted update. I just don't enjoy modelling nearly as much as I enjoy experimenting with the different features and dabbling in animation. I will try to persevere and eventually finish this thing, though. I must admit I do feel a little more inspired ever since I got this. :D

Here are a couple more pics, since it's been so long since I posted any:

post-8893-1180539776_thumb.jpgpost-8893-1180539787_thumb.jpg

Cool, T-Dogg! This is the first time I've seen this. It was fun being able to see the progress through the whole WIP. And who doesn't love the old Batmobile?

It does look like to me that the wheels are smaller than they should be, so I took the liberty of superimposing the original roto image from your first post over your latest version to check.

btmbl.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished piece!

T,

You are much more perserverant than I... I'm glad to know you are still working on this... And I sincerely apologize for abandoning you, my heart just wasn't in it. If I can help in any way, I should, and I would try. My time is so limited, I can't guarantee anything. As it is, I spend about 20 minutes a day tinkering with A:M... not enough to be proficient at anything.

It certainly is looking good!

Cool, T-Dogg! This is the first time I've seen this. It was fun being able to see the progress through the whole WIP. And who doesn't love the old Batmobile?

It does look like to me that the wheels are smaller than they should be, so I took the liberty of superimposing the original roto image from your first post over your latest version to check.

post-3557-1180549233_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished piece!

largento, I always thought the wheels looked way too small, as well! :D

I made my tires small because I they were completely round and I didn't want to distort them to match the rotoscope. I thought the tires just weren't drawn very well in the original sketch (because the rims are elliptical, too, and not just the rubber, which would be flattened at the bottom do to the weigth of the car), so I lined things up the best I could, and then I moved on.

post-8893-1180810020_thumb.jpg

Now, after looking at that picture you posted, I noticed the wheels DO look round, and my model doesn't line up with the picture very well at all... at least not in the Y-axis. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe my rotoscope was squashed some back in the beginning stages to get the heights of the front, back, and side views to all be the same. The rotoscopes were set up to match the real-world measurements of the car, as well.

I am pretty much commited to these rotoscopes at this point. The only thing I can think of to do now is to continue modelling as I have been and make any changes to the scale of the model after I am done.

T-Dogg,

I'm glad that you have not abandoned this WIP. It is coming out really cool!!! To just let it go would be such a shame. All A:M users who have thought of and worked on challenging projects can relate to the huge commitments involved. I hope you stay inspired and can someday finish this.

George

Wow looks great!!! If this has't already been posted you can get more reference pics here - http://www.1966batmobile.com/

I have spent a lot of time on that site. :)

T-Dogg,

I'm glad that you have not abandoned this WIP. It is coming out really cool!!! To just let it go would be such a shame. All A:M users who have thought of and worked on challenging projects can relate to the huge commitments involved. I hope you stay inspired and can someday finish this.

George

Thanks, George.

I am trying my best not to completely abandon it. I was a total newbie to spline modelling when I started this project. I've improved a lot since then, but I am still not very good. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the best way to run the splines. But as my skills have grown, so have my desires to do other projects. I wanted to model and rig my own characters (which I've done now). I wanted to learn to use cloth and hair better (which I've also done, but I am still learning). I wanted to animate (and I am working on a simple music video to teach myself). Modeling is the part of the whole movie-making process that I enjoy the least, so this project ended up on the back burner.

I regularly read Terrence Walker's blog (as do some other people here), and one point he makes all the time is that you just need to finish your movie no matter what, and then you can move on to the next one. I am going to try to apply that same philosophy to my modelling as well and finish this project no matter what. I am not going to stop working on my other, more enjoyable, projects, but I am definitely going to set aside time to work on the Batmobile regularly at least a few minutes each day. Some progress is better than no progress, right?

When Charles and I first started this project, there were times when I would get spurts of creativity and get a lot done. It would give me such a great feeling of accomplishment. It made up for all the times I got stuck and struggled. Hopefully I can rekindle some of that feeling and bring some fun back into my modeling.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been nearly a month, but I finally have another update to show. This time around I've been working on the rear end. I added the rear grill. I am going to add a transparency map to as son as I get around to painting one. I filled in that area in the fins. I must have been looking at one of the later photos when I colored it red. I believe it was originally black. I also added the Jet Pipe and the parachutes. The poarachutes aren't very detailed, I know. The hardest part of all of this was creating the trim around the jet pipe. It wasn't hard to model. It just took me a while to figure out how to get the sweeper plugin to do what I wanted it to.

I also did some tweaking of my grouping and surfacing. Instead of having the entire model with a black surface, I decided to go back to the default white color and then split the body into parts (body, doors, hood, trunk, etc.) and color each surface individually. If nothing else, it makes for easier selecting.

This beast already has 5626 patches, and I've still got so much left to do! I still need to fix the front end, add wheel wells, and do the entire interior.

Anywho, here's the pics. I hope y'all will like them.

post-8893-1183039570_thumb.jpgpost-8893-1183039585_thumb.jpg