Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

copy and paste bones?

cuboos

is there a way i can copy a group of bones and past them on another area? i have made new arms on my tripod and i rigged one arm but i want to know if theres a way i can copy and past them to the left two times

heres a screen cap

[attachmentid=17049]

post-8557-1148802636_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is there a way i can copy a group of bones and past them on another area?
To duplicate a bone structure... In the PWS, drag and drop the root bone of the branch you want to duplicate while holding down the control(?) key (ALT key on the Mac).

• 6 years later...

I have a question in reference to this:

When you hold down the (control) key and drag a bone elsewhere in the Project Workspace to duplicate the bone, its children (if it has them) are duplicated as well.

Is there a way to duplicate a bone without duplicating its children?

Thanks.

Drag the bone out of (i.e, above) hierarchy, then ctrl drag it to duplicate it, then drag the original bone back to it's place, and the duplicate bone to wherever you want it in the hierarchy.

I am not aware of a key+bone sequence to isolate duplicating just 1 bone. Maybe someone else is.

Drag the bone out of (i.e, above) hierarchy, then ctrl drag it to duplicate it, then drag the original bone back to it's place, and the duplicate bone to wherever you want it in the hierarchy.

I am not aware of a key+bone sequence to isolate duplicating just 1 bone. Maybe someone else is.

Thanks for sharing that technique. I've never thought of approaching it that way as a work around.

I could possibly run into trouble with that method though when my model's bone count has grown pretty large or if I have a few relationships pointing to the bone in question.

I have tried to see if other key combiniations would do the trick (ie: control + shift and drag etc.) but I have not found a way to do it.

Not being able to duplicate a single bone is certainly not a show stopper to me but I was hoping that it was possible.

Edit:

I just tried this out and it really is not what I thought it would be.

When I move (not duplicate) the bone outside of its hierarchy the bone's children also come with it. So it is better to just duplicate the bone first while dragging it outside of the hierarchy then delete the unwanted children bones (that is how I currently do it). That way, the original hierarchy remains unaltered.

Thanks again.

• Hash Fellow

AFIK, there is no quick way to dupe a single bone that has children.

However if you need to quickly delete unwanted children bones you can select the parent and press * to fully expand it, then shift-select the first and last bone of the set to select them all and then hit delete.

AFIK, there is no quick way to dupe a single bone that has children.

However if you need to quickly delete unwanted children bones you can select the parent and press * to fully expand it, then shift-select the first and last bone of the set to select them all and then hit delete.

Thanks.

I had forgotten how to do that.

That will help a lot.

I just put in a feature request maybe someday it will be implemented.

I just tried this out and it really is not what I thought it would be.

When I move (not duplicate) the bone outside of its hierarchy the bone's children also come with it. So it is better to just duplicate the bone first while dragging it outside of the hierarchy then delete the unwanted children bones (that is how I currently do it). That way, the original hierarchy remains unaltered.

Ack. You are right! I should have tried it first. I was going on memory. Not a good thing to do. Thanks for letting me know.

I have found that the quickest, easiest way to delete bones from a model is to create an empty model window and shift drag the top level bone of the unwanted hierarchy from the PWS into the window of the empty model

So now that I am remembering correctly (hah hah), my procedure has been to ctrl drag to duplicate the hierarchy and then shift drag the unwanted bones into the empty model window (no need to expand with *, the children bones will be deleted as well).

I have found that the quickest, easiest way to delete bones from a model is to create an empty model window and shift drag the top level bone of the unwanted hierarchy from the PWS into the window of the empty model

So now that I am remembering correctly (hah hah), my procedure has been to ctrl drag to duplicate the hierarchy and then shift drag the unwanted bones into the empty model window (no need to expand with *, the children bones will be deleted as well).

Wow!

I just tried that out and that really does work very well!

Thank you again. I really do appreciate your help.