Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Plug-in Help Needed.

T-Dogg

I've seen mention of the plugins on this page ( http://www.innovateenterprises.com/AM/ ) in several posts here on the forum.

First I tried the LWO13 and OBJ13 plugins using A:M 13beta2. I opened a new model window and clicked file/plug-ins/import/ and tried to import LWO and OBJ. In both cases, no new window ever popped up to let me choose a file to import.

When those didn't work, I went back and opened up A:M version 12.0v+ and tried using the LWO12.hxt. This time a window did pop up to let me pick a file. Then it asked at what angle control points should peak. After that I got the following error message: "Not a Lightwave object (Missing LWOB tag)".

I have emailed the author about my problems, but he has not responded yet. Since I am too impatient for my own good sometimes, I thought I would also ask about it here on the forum in hopes of getting a quicker response from my fellow A:M users.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You misunderstand me, black mage. I'm not having trouble installing the plugin. I have a separate folder setup for any extra plugins I might add, and I went into A:M's options and added that folder under hxt. The plugin IS installed, otherwise the OBJ and LWO options would not even show up in A:M's menus. My problem is that the plugins don't seem to work properly when I actually try to use them.

Thanks for your response anyway, though.

v12 and v12 and not that i know of.what version are you using?

I tried the versions I stated in my original post:

First I tried the LWO13 and OBJ13 plugins using A:M 13beta2.

When those didn't work, I went back and opened up A:M version 12.0v+ and tried using the LWO12.hxt.

Since the site shows some versions of the plugin are v13 specific, and version 13 is only beta so far, I would expect them to work with the beta. As for version 12, as I said earlier, LWO12 did not work. I guess I will go back and give OBJ12 a try.

I hope some other users will respond. It doesn't make sense to me why these plugins apparently work so well for other people but not for me.

Are these plugins for Mac or something? I am using XP here.

I realize that A:M works best with genuine A:M spline models. I know that if I did manage to get a polymodel into A:M it would require a great deal of tweaking. Before I bought A:M I spent a lot of time trying to learn another program, and I would like to take some of my old models and "bring them over", so to speak.

I realize that A:M works best with genuine A:M spline models. I know that if I did manage to get a polymodel into A:M it would require a great deal of tweaking. Before I bought A:M I spent a lot of time trying to learn another program, and I would like to take some of my old models and "bring them over", so to speak.

I have had some difficulty with Mr. Walasek's (sp? from memory, probably wrong, apologies) DXF plugins, as well. But it was not really important enough for me to pusue further (tho I should).

That said, I understand that you worked hard to create other models in another program. And, I understand your desire not to lose that work.

Question:

Are these mechanical models, like cars or spaceships, something made of metal... or are they organic models, like people, animals, creatures, or plants.

Reason for question:

Modeling with splines (and the reulting patches) is so completely different from poly modeling in so many ways.

If you are really going to try to make A:M your 3D modeling, animating, and rendering program of choice, then it might be best if you "slip the chains" of poly modeling sooner rather than later.

A:M is really like "thinking outside the box" (a box is a polygon after all). But building with patches rather than polys allows you to make truly smooth surfaces (rather than faking them or averaging their surfaces as a poly program has to do).

So, building a box in A:M is simple: Make 6 flat patches. That's pretty similar to a poly program, no?

But wait! Make a sphere in A:M... oooh... Draw a curve and lathe it. 4-6 subdivisions, and it's smooth... How many subdivisions does it take to make a smooth sphere in a poly program? You may do it with as few as 4 or 6 as in A:M but the software will compute many more to make it appear smooth.

Tell you what.. I'm kinda renewing myself in my own A:M skills... So, load rotoscopic pix (top, side, front, back, bottom) of a mechanical model you made in your other program. Starting Tuesday, I'll try to help you model it in A:M... Only one thing.. We have to share the finished model files with the community. Oh, and one more thing, we gotta use V12, I haven't upgraded to 13 yet.

Think about it, and let me know here, Mr. Dogg. Heck, I'll even try to use the conversion plugins to bring it over... but we gotta do it "straight" in A:M as well. That way, we learn together and share the experience.

Fair enough?

Let me know.

The models I made were organic. Truth is, they weren't very good... but I did spend a lot of time on them. I just hate to leave them behind. The other program I used wasn't mine. I used to stay after hours at the place I work just to use it, but that got to be a problem. I couldn't afford to buy that program, so I tried to find a cheaper-but-still-complete program that I felt would meet my needs. When I saw A:M, I knew it was the program for me. I didn't even think about it not working with my old polygon models.

A:M is definitely going to be the program I use from now on, and I have been trying hard to learn spline modelling. Here is an example of one of the A:M models I have been working on: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21916

I'd still love to work on a mechanical model with you, if it's OK. I think it would be a great learning experience. To be honest, I haven't tried any mechanical modelling in A:M yet. I have no rotoscopes though. I don't mind using version 12, because I have 12 and 13 both installed in separate folders. (Since I still use only the most basic features of A:M, I haven't really noticed any differences between the 2 versions yet, anyway.)

Okay....

No rotos.

Whatcha got? What have you modeled in your other program? If it's all people, I'm gonna be in trouble deep! :blink: But, if it's all you got, I'll try anyway, and we'll learn it together.

My thinking here is that people, realistic people anyway, aren't all that easy to do. But, I think there are a lot of workarounds with A:M that we can use to make it happen. To say nothing of the plethora of tutes out there to work from.

And, when we're done, I think (hope) they'll look better than they did in your previous attempts (not because I'm a whiz at this by any stretch, but because two heads are better than one). And, if we do it out here in the open (in a single thread in this new users forum), we'll surely get commentary and advice from the real experts.

If it's not people, but animals, yikes! That can be tougher yet. No matter, it can be done.

Now, if you really want to learn to do something mechanical, we can do that instead.

So, pick an object (organic or mechanical) that you really wanna do.

I will place no limits on it except this: we must see it through to the end. Warning: In the end, you may hate the object... Not for the look of it, but for the work you put in it. It may seem a chore at times, you (or I) may want to quit. We will not quit on it 'til we are both satisfied that we have given 100% and it is the best we can do.

Some things are over done (like cars and spaceships, dragons and dinosaurs), but don't let that be your determiner.

Pick it, we'll do it.

Post your idea here, once you've decided what it is to be, we will start a new thread here in new users rather than WIP so that other newbies will see it.

Ball=your court... choose well, grashopper!

Wow... this is a hard choice. For an organic model I've always wanted to try do some famous celebrity's face, like Elvis or John Wayne. For mechanical... well, I know you said cars are overdone, but I have personally never modelled one. I tried once to do Speed Racer's Mach 5 in the polygon program, but I never got very far along with it. (It was a huge thrill for me to finally get a great model of it on the Hash Extras CD. :D) To go along with the Mach 5, it would be nice to have another unique car. Since I couldn't find any blueprints of the Monkeemobile, how about this one instead?

[attachmentid=17109]

Would that be too difficult for a spline-modelling newbie like me with no mechanical modelling skill?

post-8893-1148998764_thumb.jpg

T-Dogg, You're on!

This will allow us to use a alot of the features of A:M: Cookie cuts for the grille, bump maps, ooooh this could be fun!....

I'll move this roto over to the new thread in this topic. we could use some photos too, just as reference to get things right but the photos don't have to be roto views... this will work nicely.

I'll devote one hour a day to the work except when I'm off work(during those times real life projects interfere, and I have an odd schedule) but we'll "git 'er done."

It would be really nice if we could finish it in time for the mechanical contest, but let's not count on that... We'll just give it a good effort and finish it when we finish it.

This works for me, if you are sure of your commitment to the project!

Let's GO!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't respond to the emails, I just saw them today...

I will post here though some answers...

Up through version 13 beta 4, importing did not work. It didn't work on my plugins, nor did it work for any other plugins that were installed that I could find. I know that Hash just recently released the non-beta v13, but I haven't yet tried the plugins to see if they will import. Exporting seemed to work fine.

If you were testing with version 13 beta, then you must have the yeti cd and be able to run AM v12. Importing and exporting do work for v12.

What application made the original models? What format (binary or ascii), if you know, is the file in (some formats support both an ascii and a binary representation)?

I will try to be more receptive to my emails, sorry it's taken so long to reply.

Arthur Walasek

arthurwalasek@comcast.net