Hash, Inc. Forums
kkwaters

Game using AM

I am a full time developer of a game that is using Animation Master for models, & actions exported to Direct X format via the AMTex Tool By Obsidian. I am one of three so far. (We all work for free) We have a Programmer, and a n00by apprentice whom I am teaching the ropes to. Our game is a MMORPG that uses a true virtual economy. If WoW gets an A+, we are aiming for a B- in game art and content. We are building the Demo right now, and do not need beta testers as of yet. We expect our demo to sell us up to the big boys when we are ready to push the ball over the hill and run to catch up behind it.

Soudns very interesting.

Keep us posted as to how it's comng along.

Greg

Where are your screenshots? Are they in your pics on myspace? Says you have to be a member to see those and I don't want to join myspace. Can you post them some other way?

Good luck with your game. It is a lot of hard work.

Where are your screenshots? Are they in your pics on myspace? Says you have to be a member to see those and I don't want to join myspace. Can you post them some other way?

Good luck with your game. It is a lot of hard work.

Sorry about Myspace, I did not know you had to be a member to view the photos.

Here is a site I can splash my photos onto for you to check out.

http://vwaters2.photosite.com

It has a fun look. What game engine are you using?

We are building it from scratch. My partner is a progger guru for his company he currently works days for. I am full time filling everything in with the art.

I would be curious if you continue to use the .X format for your models for your game. I am currently trying to do that, but am running into a common problem with the .X format - it only *really* supports texture maps - no bump maps, specular maps, etc.

I would be curious to find out how people who are using the directx .X format handle these issues. (I can store them in a seperate location outside .X, but that seems like a waste to me)...

Arthur

I would be curious if you continue to use the .X format for your models for your game. I am currently trying to do that, but am running into a common problem with the .X format - it only *really* supports texture maps - no bump maps, specular maps, etc.

I would be curious to find out how people who are using the directx .X format handle these issues. (I can store them in a seperate location outside .X, but that seems like a waste to me)...

Arthur

Granted Direct X is very limited, we are still using it. as far as workarounds, our models are built to fit the 1 poly per patch, so no 5 point patches, watch out for creases, and the textures contain "bumps" via Texture Maker. Specular lighting I will have to ask my partner about, he is currently out of the country.

via Texture Maker

Texture Maker???

(edits: Nm, found Texture Maker. It will allow and help with the creation of a bump/normal map. Do you take this map and the texture and blend it together to make 1 map that has both the texture and normal map???)

How many people came up with the true economy idea for MMORPGs at once? I've had this idea floating in my head for a while now, and now at least I know I'm not the only one looking for one of these.

By the way, you only have 3 guys working on an MMO? How long is that going to take you? Lol.

After all, I'm planning an MMORPG myself, several years from now anyways, and I'd like a good time guesstimate on how long 3 people will take to make a single MMORPG.... Give me a good idea how much time I need to set aside.....

How many people came up with the true economy idea for MMORPGs at once? I've had this idea floating in my head for a while now, and now at least I know I'm not the only one looking for one of these.

By the way, you only have 3 guys working on an MMO? How long is that going to take you? Lol.

After all, I'm planning an MMORPG myself, several years from now anyways, and I'd like a good time guesstimate on how long 3 people will take to make a single MMORPG.... Give me a good idea how much time I need to set aside.....

My partner came up with the basic concept years ago. We started brainstorming after work hours about how to do it, and the potential of the idea. We began working on the first attempt in 2001. I left the job we were both working at, and dropped the ball. A year or so later, I called him out of the blue and told him I really want to make this a reality, so we started up at our second attempt. We began working part time after work, and soon I found myself working too much and not having enough time for the game. It was very frustrating. I finally made the jump to working on the game full time, and working on the side to support myself. My partner is helping me by letting me stay rent free at his place.

He is a machine when it comes to work, and when he gets home from a full time job, he puts in a ton of hours on his own time to do the game. He has a lot of experience in the software industry, and can plan projects from start to finish, without him - I would be totally lost and directionless. He does the programming, and I do the art. So far we make a great two man team. I have a friend who jumped on the wagon, but unfortunately he is behind financially, and is working hard to get solvent so he can start working with us part time. He also needs to improve his skills is either programming, or in AM. I had been teaching him AM, and it has been quite a struggle for the both of us to work together. However, none of us are giving up just yet, and no one has said we cannot do this, yet.

There are lots of great ideas out there about games like this, and I do believe it will be the future of games very soon. Unfortunately I have found a great idea does not constitute a game reality, so there is a lot of work, sacrifice, and more work just to make it real. The two of us really compliment each other well, and so far I have been working fulltime now for about 4 months. In this time we have achieved a monumental amount of work, and I still find it hard to believe how much we have accomplished so far compared to a major player such as Blizzard's World of Warcraft. They have hundreds of workers, and it boggles my mind to see how far we have come with only two people. There is a project Entropia as well, they only have 5 people for their developer house in Sweden, and they are already a major player in MMORPG as they already have a virtual economy.

We are already about 1/2 done for the demo phase, (I think). Once our demo is ready we will begin pursuing venture capital to build our own full developer house, or just sell the work we have already and walk away. I think we will probably stick with the project, and build our empire from there. I know this method is how Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and a whole host of other successes got started, so I feel we are on the right track with this. And like I said before, no one has told us we cannot do this, so until they do - balls to the wall!

B)

Well you know im not bad my self at doing models in A:M. You need some more people to help you out making models i think i would be a great help. I'm looking for a job as a modeler right now.

Well you know im not bad my self at doing models in A:M. You need some more people to help you out making models i think i would be a great help. I'm looking for a job as a modeler right now.

Well, we do not have a payroll right now, so it may be premature. I will keep you in mind.

If you would like to see my modeling skls check out WIP or show case forum. I posted some models i made there.

My partner came up with the basic concept years ago. We started brainstorming after work hours about how to do it, and the potential of the idea. We began working on the first attempt in 2001. I left the job we were both working at, and dropped the ball. A year or so later, I called him out of the blue and told him I really want to make this a reality, so we started up at our second attempt. We began working part time after work, and soon I found myself working too much and not having enough time for the game. It was very frustrating. I finally made the jump to working on the game full time, and working on the side to support myself. My partner is helping me by letting me stay rent free at his place.

He is a machine when it comes to work, and when he gets home from a full time job, he puts in a ton of hours on his own time to do the game. He has a lot of experience in the software industry, and can plan projects from start to finish, without him - I would be totally lost and directionless. He does the programming, and I do the art. So far we make a great two man team. I have a friend who jumped on the wagon, but unfortunately he is behind financially, and is working hard to get solvent so he can start working with us part time. He also needs to improve his skills is either programming, or in AM. I had been teaching him AM, and it has been quite a struggle for the both of us to work together. However, none of us are giving up just yet, and no one has said we cannot do this, yet.

There are lots of great ideas out there about games like this, and I do believe it will be the future of games very soon. Unfortunately I have found a great idea does not constitute a game reality, so there is a lot of work, sacrifice, and more work just to make it real. The two of us really compliment each other well, and so far I have been working fulltime now for about 4 months. In this time we have achieved a monumental amount of work, and I still find it hard to believe how much we have accomplished so far compared to a major player such as Blizzard's World of Warcraft. They have hundreds of workers, and it boggles my mind to see how far we have come with only two people. There is a project Entropia as well, they only have 5 people for their developer house in Sweden, and they are already a major player in MMORPG as they already have a virtual economy.

We are already about 1/2 done for the demo phase, (I think). Once our demo is ready we will begin pursuing venture capital to build our own full developer house, or just sell the work we have already and walk away. I think we will probably stick with the project, and build our empire from there. I know this method is how Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and a whole host of other successes got started, so I feel we are on the right track with this. And like I said before, no one has told us we cannot do this, so until they do - balls to the wall!

B)

Heh, so true man... Unfortunately, you actualy have someone to help ya with. Right now it's just me doing everything but the website, and I dont even have everything, I'm financially busted right now. But, I'm learnin AM, and if I may say so at a decent enough rate, and in my spare time I'm writing up the scripts and ideas for the toons I'll be starting off on (unless, like you, I can find a programmer guru, lol). Either way I've often been commented positively on the idea, even though no one lifts a finger to help...

But, indeed... Good luck with it.

Wish you guys woulda answered yes to my proposal... But, eh, guess everyone has to start their own way.... Where as you guys start off with the MMO, we (What little team I have) will be starting off slowly and building our way up, due to being financially ****ed....

But, to each his own...

Good luck with it, and meet ya at the top, heh. :ninja:

B)

Heh, so true man... Unfortunately, you actualy have someone to help ya with. Right now it's just me doing everything but the website, and I dont even have everything, I'm financially busted right now. But, I'm learnin AM, and if I may say so at a decent enough rate, and in my spare time I'm writing up the scripts and ideas for the toons I'll be starting off on (unless, like you, I can find a programmer guru, lol). Either way I've often been commented positively on the idea, even though no one lifts a finger to help...

Wish you guys woulda answered yes to my proposal... But, eh, guess everyone has to start their own way.... Where as you guys start off with the MMO, we (What little team I have) will be starting off slowly and building our way up, due to being financially ****ed....

But, to each his own...

B)

But, to each his own...

I have met a few people who program and are interested, but we cannot use them right now ourselves, if you like I will gather their contact info and send them your way.

Well good luck to you guys and I was thinking of two software pieces you guys could make to make your MMORPG better. One a world editor like in WCIII just for fun even if it does not tie into the game directly just like a secondary way of playing with friends and have it work with A:M models. Not just X exported models from A:M.

Also as another piece of software one that I would by in a heart beat especially if it is user friendly is an RPG maker that works with A:M directly to make it easy to make a full game with just that and A:M and it would make it easier to make cut scenes, and models, and the game engine itself...I know that this is a monumental task BUT if you have a programming guru at your disposal that works for free why not do it?

I know quite a few people who want to make their games but are not good at coding, so this would help bridge the gap. I myself have experience in game design even if it is not much experience and it would be a big help to have software like that, That would work hand and hand with A:M....But I also know that this is up to you guys and just an idea.

Oh and BTW don't give up when things get bad I know sometimes I have wanted to throw my comp through the wall and live in the woods just so I never have to see a computer screen again....But like me you will pull through and get the job done.....^_^

Well good luck to you guys and I was thinking of two software pieces you guys could make to make your MMORPG better. One a world editor like in WCIII just for fun even if it does not tie into the game directly just like a secondary way of playing with friends and have it work with A:M models. Not just X exported models from A:M.

Also as another piece of software one that I would by in a heart beat especially if it is user friendly is an RPG maker that works with A:M directly to make it easy to make a full game with just that and A:M and it would make it easier to make cut scenes, and models, and the game engine itself...I know that this is a monumental task BUT if you have a programming guru at your disposal that works for free why not do it?

I know quite a few people who want to make their games but are not good at coding, so this would help bridge the gap. I myself have experience in game design even if it is not much experience and it would be a big help to have software like that, That would work hand and hand with A:M....But I also know that this is up to you guys and just an idea.

Oh and BTW don't give up when things get bad I know sometimes I have wanted to throw my comp through the wall and live in the woods just so I never have to see a computer screen again....But like me you will pull through and get the job done.....^_^

I will run those ideas past my partner, and thank you. It would certainly cause us to deviate from our current goal, but who knows where this adventure will take us anyway...

Update:

We are building the map now that we have our mapeditor up and running. Level design is being done by our new recruit, Will W. (Ill Will). We have a total of 4 completed Critters, and a Main Character. We are working on a female character, and two more critters for an initial trial demo. It may be that we get as many as 15 Critters total for our completed demo. The Character creation UI is completed so the Main Char is configurable, and we can add/remove/change equipment within both the UI and the environment. Our inventory screen is up and working as well as the paper doll of the Main Char. We have a limited inventory, but it is fully functional so far. The Stat screen for the UI is also working, however we still need to flesh out the number mechanics to get it all working on that page. Things are progressing well for us, and it is starting to get pretty exciting. I cannnot wait to be playtesting our own game. The storyline is beginning to become important in order for us to build the proper critters/items/resources within the game. Our game plan mechanics have changed quite a bit to foster a more robust virtual economy. Everything will be real time exchanges of resources within the game, however prepaid accounts will be necessary to facilitate real time transactions within the game. We will also be having a FREE server so ppl can get familiar with the game and practice in that environment before they try the money servers. We have not decided if we are going to publish the game and sell it in stores, or if it is an online only download you can get for free. The later is how we hope to do it, however publishing the title for stores may be necessary for VC bean counters...

We are planning and currently working on Map objects such as trees, bushes, dungeon entrances/buildings, etc. Again, storyline is necessary for us to continue with these. We have peices of the plot already, however it is kind of fun to let the story tell itself as we build the game environment. Guy currently has a special guest in mind for the storyline creation, Will and I are waiting on pins and needles to find out if they accept the challenge.

:lol:

Current Credits:

Guy R. - Programming/Concept

Victor W. - Art/Concept

Will W. - Level design/Assistant Programming

Amber W. - Real Life Modeling for Models & Actions

Special thanks so far: Martin hash & the Animation Master Team, Christopher Roy from Obsidian Games & the Amtex Plugin for AM, Riechert Software Engineering for TextureMaker. B)