Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Emerald Pictures and Sapphire Animation, both independent production companies made up of completely volunteer workers, are working together to develop and produce "Myrl," a fantasy/adventure epic.

We're currently in the development process of everything (and have been for the past year trying to get the story just right) and will begin pre-production in June and hopefully begin animation in the later fall (end-September).

The reason I am posting this is because we're currently looking for volunteers for the following:

Note: The numbers in the () symbols are how many we need of that type of artist.

CHARACTER MODELING (5+)

BONE RIGGER (5+)

SET MODELING (3)

CHARACTER ANIMATION (7+)

TEXTURE ARTIST (3)

FX ANIMATION - FIRE, WATER, RAIN, SNOW, FOG, ETC. (5)

If interested, please email me at chris_harris06@yahoo.com. Those who email me I'll send the plot to (I don't want to post it on the internet).

We are really desperate for the above volunteer job listings. We intend to handle it just like the "TWO" film is being handled. We're currently building a forum and website for you to post each of your shots, models, etc. on and for the entire production to be carried out on. (Like TWO.)

Thanks to all who help out,

-Chris

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We intend to handle it just like the "TWO" film is being handled. We're currently building a forum and website for you to post each of your shots, models, etc. on and for the entire production to be carried out on. (Like TWO.)

Thanks to all who help out,

-Chris

I'm committed to the TWO project, I was just wondering: Is Animation Master also being used? (Like TWO)

• Admin
If I place an ad on any other site I get over a hundred flash animators or Blender animators contacting me it isn't even funny.

Hey a volunteer is a volunteer. If they come highly skilled and motivated all the better. ;)

This might be a stretch but I'll suggest it anyway...

It might be best to schedule your project to require the majority of those talented positions just *after* 'Tin Woodsman of Oz' is released.

Good luck on your project!

• Admin

I think we are looking at about 2 years from now.

The good news is your preproduction would be finished by then though. :)

Edit: I'm not trying to discourage you here but wonder if you want to go into competition for talent against TWO. On the other hand, if any of these positions are paid positions... disregard what I'm saying and press on. Whether volunteer or paid positions you just have to pitch your product and generate the required interest.

• Admin

You have me intrigued (and I don't even know anything about 'Myrl').

A few more questions if I may:

Do you plan to use some of the collaborative tools available in A:M (SVN and dotProject?)

What version of A:M are you using for the film?

Do you have any expert (or advanced) A:M Users already involved in your project?

Can you tell us any more about 'Myrl', the people involved and your perspective on its success?

I'm going to have to do some research on the DOT project SVN, as I have never used them before.

I have version 11.1 here. But I don't think it'd be a good idea to limit animators to that.

I have a fairly good 3D animator who is still trying to learn a few things but will is over all pretty good. Also, I'd be animating. But I won't say how good I am...don't want to show off. ha ha.

Right now, I have two character designers, three storyboard artist, two background artist, two animators, and I'm fixing to start casting this film just as soon as I confirm that I have modelers and riggers.

As far as its success...hmm...one can never tell how that one will turn out. Depending on how good the final product is, and I'm hoping it will be very good; I'm going to seek distribution. Wether that would be a theater release or a DVD release, I'm not sure.

As far as a plot summary, you'll have to give me tonight to right one down. It's rather large and I just got through explaining it to someone...I'm tired. :D

Thanks for the interest,

-Chris

• Admin
As far as a plot summary, you'll have to give me tonight to right one down. It's rather large and I just got through explaining it to someone...I'm tired.

While I'm interested in the plot that isn't my focus here. I understand some of that might need to be protected.

I could wear you out asking questions. That's not my intention here.

The production of Myrl is of interest to me and (if you are as serious as I imagine you might be) I'd like to see you succeed.

Thanks for your answers.

THere are a LOT of talented A:M users--only a tiny,tiny percentage are working on TWO... There are plenty of artists available who aren't commited to a project.

You should be able to get the people that you need :)

You might consider getting some help from the guys at Hash, Inc about setting up an SVN repository and getting your project set up.

• Admin

Good grief Mike!

If someone decided NOT to make a film after failing that test there would be no fantasy films.

Some good ideas in there though. :P

"There is nothing new under the sun". You can put in in some fancy drapery and call it art though. (- me)

i agree that you shouldn't rip off lord of the rings... go straight to the source. ' ' )

lord of the rings borrows liberally from germanic and norse mythology, but with a lot more words.

good luck on the project, mysterious jewel person.

-jon

This isn't a rip off of Lord of the Rings, at least, its not a huge rip off. Every fantasy is going to have some element in it that was in Lord of the Rings, but mine was not to try and rip it off.

And thanks, Jon...I just wish people would respond to my need... :(

-Chris

• Hash Fellow

Is there a "pitch" put together? Something to convince people to invest in your movie? Invest their time, I mean.

Volunteer labor is hard to come by. And for a movie you've got to persuade them that working on your dream would be time better spent than working on their own dream.

It can be done, but you'll have to be convincing. I'd recommend you do a short first, perhaps incorporating some scene from your movie and show people that a ) you can do it, and b ) you've got a great idea.

I'm devoted to TWO as well,

I'm not a modeler and I'm not a rigger, but I'm learning how to animate.

I'm working on TWO right now, and next year I'll be off to college to start studying fine art and animation... So I should hopefully be improving quite a bit.. I know this doesn't help you right now, but if you are still needing help with your movie after TWO is over... I'm hoping that I'll be loads improved and I will gladly help. I need all the experience I can get and this working on feature films over the internet is really cool.

Good luck though with your movie and I hope that everything works out for you.

Best wishes, Teresa Nord

• Admin

Sorry if it seems negativity is the rule of the day.

It may be that I am hardened by the number of projects that appear from time to time here in the forum.

Many never leave the dream stage.

Wishing and wanting and having a need aren't enough to make a movie. (At least you know what you want)

I want you to be successful and I'll lend my fair share of enthusiasm your way.

Enthusiasm however will never replace a good solid plan.

TWO is working for a lot of reasons; most of which you haven't demonstrated yet.

For instance, Hash Inc has invested its considerable resources in TWO and Martin has put a lot of his personal money on the line. He also *knows* the majority of people that are working on TWO personally. The A:M Community doesn't know you quite so well... at least not yet.

I'm impressed that you at least have a name Chris. That speaks volumes to me.

The first sign of going nowhere fast can be found in a post from someone without a real name.

At least you have one.

So here is I guess what you could call the bottom line.

Its hard to invest in a dream without something to attach that dream to.

If you can demonstrate to A:M Users that your dream also has a solid plan... Then you'll be more likely to see volunteers walk through your door.

I suspect that percieved lack of immediate interest here in the forum is but a small problem compared to those you'll run into creating a feature length movie. I hear its not as easy as it sounds.

Like I said before... it may be a stretch but I think going into preproduction now (with or without modelers and riggers) would be a really good thing to do. If TWO has fallen short in any one area I'd say it might be in preproduction design; we needed lots and lots more of it. There is a lot that can be done without modelers and riggers and the preparation taken now will make it a lot easier for them. Then in two years time you'll have some seasoned animators looking for post-TWO projects. If it takes less than two years to finish all design and story work you'll be ahead of the game.

Hang in there!

A good dream never dies.

Rodney

I'm currently in the talks (though nothing is for yet) with a DVD distributor that may want to release our film and want us to do work for some of their projects.

I've also changed the title to this, though I won't tell you it because it isn't for sure yet, and there has been a major story change.

Other than that, no updates. Hopefully I'll have a better chance at getting at least two or three modelers later this fall.

-Chris

• Admin
I'm currently in the talks (though nothing is for yet) with a DVD distributor that may want to release our film and want us to do work for some of their projects.

Very cool.

Definitely keep us posted. :)

We're sad to say that this feature film isn't going to be a number one task anymore. We still need volunteer modelers and riggers, and we are still going to work on this film on the side (we really want to do it)!

But right now we need experienced modelers/riggers for a new animation job that we're fixing to do. It would be a paying job and I'll explain more about it after we finalize everything with the company.

Please, anyone who is interested email me your resume and a sample of your work at Chris_harris06@yahoo.com

-Chris

The screenplay will be finished by the end of July for this film. The title has been changed to "Fazad" for story reasons and basically, the entire story has been changed.

This is definitly going to happen as long as I can get some modelers/riggers to help out with it. I need experienced modelers/riggers for our TV project that we'd get payment for, but for this, I still need pretty experienced modelers/riggers that are willing to work for free.

I'll have a story pitch up later tonight for everyone to see.

-Chris

This was written by the person who wrote this story. He wrote it as a novel and gave me the rights to make it into a 3D film.

So here is the official pitch:

TITLE: FAZAD

GENRE: FANTASY/ADVENTURE

BY, BRENDON A. SHAPIRO(Novel) and CHRISTOPHER L. HARRIS(Screenplay)

LENGTH: ESTIMATED TIME OF: 2 hour 20 minutes

STORY:

In the great Land of Fazad, a fantasy world where bizarre is the norm and

mystery is practically a part of the culture, a young man begins to explore

his newfound talent for a rare type of magic that is no longer supposed to

exist. Kipote finds himself apprenticed to a powerful mage-like Might, along

with four other young men and women – each one a colorful and interesting

character. As they train for the upcoming magical competition, The Cebaltan

Games, the team of apprentices face many peculiar dilemmas, and must

eventually embark on a rescue mission, in which they will encounter many

peculiar characters and sticky situations. A series of crazy plot twists

lead these apprentices on a journey that no one could have predicted. The

Games are looming nearer and nearer, but they’re the furthest thing from the

minds of Kipote and his friends as they become entangled deeper and deeper

into the twisted scenario.

Meanwhile, the King of Fazad becomes father to a set of triplets, leaving

him in a terrible quandary. How to choose which son will be named the heir

to the Fazadi throne? The situation only worsens when a string of betrayals,

kidnappings, and murders places the future of the entire government of Fazad

in jeopardy. Who is responsible for the chaos? One can never be certain, for

the true villain is the master of concealing himself behind a wall of

deception. As the government quickly deteriorates, it appears that there can

be no one who will be able to restore Fazad to its former glory.

Magic, political intrigue, mystery, and vibrant characterization blend to

create a plot, original, complex, and above all, entertaining. When the

story reaches its climax at the grand arena of the Cebaltan Games, all the

threads of the plot come together in a dramatic revelation, leading off to

an action-packed finish.

Pre-viz and storyboarding has begun on Fazad. We're now filming this in live action, but there will be quite a few 3D visual effects.

We're currently in the talks with a company to do the CGI work for us. Their work looks AMAZING. I'll have to put some pictures up later.

Soon, I'll have a few pre-viz videos to put up with a temp soundtrack and everything like that.

-Chris

Just as a small update on how my fantasy film is going...

UPDATES:

I just hired an AWESOME visual effects company in India (I believe).

I started the screenplay.

The visual effects company has worked on quite a few cinema release films and is contacting everyone they can to help fund this film.

The author of the book this film is based on will be flying in from New York to my home to spend a week with us while we cast the film in January.

Filming is set to begin next May.

We're setting up the sound stage with a green screen right now.

I've basically got a composer in New York who'll be scoring the film. Just a few things to sign.

And...that's about it.

-Chris

The visual effects crew that showed interest in the project had worked on a few other cinema released films and were able to get a company to fund us.

So you don't need animators, riggers, etc. anymore?

Cory

You can apply by sending me an email at Chris_harris06@yahoo.com

Please send me a sample of your work and a bit of your animation history (if any) when applying.

And yep, that's the Fazad we're going to be making. I've been working with Brendon on the idea of making a Fazad movie since last December and we've finally started work on the film itself.

Thanks for the interest,

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't have anything going so count me in on this project. You sound pretty serious. I checked out the site and I really like the story. One question, do you have concept art in the works or do you need people for that position as well?