Hash, Inc. Forums

A Little Advice

Shelton

• *A:M User*

Getting ready to rig the face on a talking toolbox. i have already watched tutorials on face rigging and cp wieghting. Any thoughts? I have already figured out that the edges have to remain stationary.

Steve

jasontoday0.jpg

Thanks. The eyes may be a little far apart but that was what was handed to me to model. I just have to figure out what the best way to rig the face now. I have played with the idea of only the middle of the lips moving. The inside of the mouth is just a black hole.

This is going to be in a children's video and the toolbox is like Dora's backpack.

Steve

Here is the link to the web site that was just turned on at the end of the month. Nothing yet to see.

www.papafix-it.com

Sorry about that I did not finish my thought my three year old came in and I uploaded the reply. I was actually thinking out loud. What I was thinking the toolbox must have a bone for the entire splines as "main" and then divided the box into section to achieve the bending that will be necessary. The face and its rig will be seperated.

This has had me stumped but what it will boil down to is trial and error. The box will jump during the video and will bend length wise. I will send a update tomorow with the rigging info

Steve

Short answer... Assign one main bone for the box as a character, call it 'Root' if you will.

Then Assign two bones, one for each general half of the box so it can bend, etc. These need to be siblings or children of the 'Root' bone.

Next assign facial bones to the splines/patches you need to move. These should also be siblings/children of the 'Root' bone. (If they were children of either of the two other bones, the face would move around too much with the tool box's bending.

Here is the way I see the project workspace looking...

Root

\LeftHalf

\RightHalf

\UpperMouth

\LowerMouth

\LeftEye

\RightEye

As for the eyelids and nostril flares, etc... use poses. You will have to use poses for your lip sync anyway, so get some expression poses in there.

Hope that helps...

Hi Jody

Thanks!! I have started the rigging and will update later. I had the box rigged and it did not do want I wanted. In fact, as I bent in the middle of the box I could not return it to the nuetral postion in an Action screen. I will keep you updated. Great work on the TWO project!

Steve