Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can you switch relationships on and off?

cory

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not retroactively. If you create your relationships within the chor, you have to control them from within the chor. (If you just want to switch a single relationship on or off, you can set its Enforcement to 0%.)

But if you need to be able to turn multiple relationships on or off with a single toggle, you'll need to create those relationships in a pose, which will give you a pose slider (or on/off switch) that you can use to control every relationship in that pose.

I recommend you organize all your model's relationships into poses--otherwise, you'll have to constantly recreate them every time you make a new animation.

Not retroactively. If you create your relationships within the chor, you have to control them from within the chor. (If you just want to switch a single relationship on or off, you can set its Enforcement to 0%.)

But if you need to be able to turn multiple relationships on or off with a single toggle, you'll need to create those relationships in a pose, which will give you a pose slider (or on/off switch) that you can use to control every relationship in that pose.

I recommend you organize all your model's relationships into poses--otherwise, you'll have to constantly recreate them every time you make a new animation.

Well I created them in actions and they seem to work across the board. In other actions, choreography, whatever. I thought the relationships were stored as part of the model anyway. I tried creating one in a pose but it crashed both 11.1 and 10.5.

thanx,

Cory

I thought the relationships were stored as part of the model anyway.

They are, when you make them in a pose. Otherwise they're not.

We are talking about constraints here, right?

Nope, relationships.

Cory

Hm... I created many poses in both those versions without problems... perhaps an isolated crash here and there. Relationships and constraints are stored in poses normally a percentage pose and on/off pose respectively. Anything done in an action can be converted to a pose as well -- I don't do this a lot but when I do it has worked. Sometimes 'what' you're trying to do can backfire (in a pose or anywhere else as well). I'd try again; perhaps something simple at first.

Rusty

Nope, relationships.

I'm confused. "Relationships" in A:M is a category that includes constraints, expressions, Smartskin and various other alterations you can apply to a model. Could you describe in more detail what you're trying to do?

Is there a way to set a switch for turning a relationship on and off in the chor?

Cory

Cory, this is seems to be a really broad side of the barn vague question.

What exactly are you trying to do? If the relationship is just for one particular model, create it in the model itself.

so, let us know what you are attempting to do, sometimes a crash happens from a bug, other times its from

someone doing something wrong....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Is there a way to set a switch for turning a relationship on and off in the chor?

Cory

Cory, this is seems to be a really broad side of the barn vague question.

What exactly are you trying to do? If the relationship is just for one particular model, create it in the model itself.

so, let us know what you are attempting to do, sometimes a crash happens from a bug, other times its from

someone doing something wrong....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I've set up a relationship (not a constraint, not a pose, not a constraint in a pose) in my model that curls the toes under when I pick up my foot null. I did this by clicking on the y transformation of the null and selecting new relationship. Then I adjusted the y distance up and then curled the toes under. Everything works great. I did this for all six feet. Works great. Now if for some reason I'd like to turn this off while animating say a foot picking up an object in the chor, can it be turned off, the foot animated without the toes curling when I translate it in y, then turned back on for the walking sequence after the foot is finished it's business, and I once again want the automatic toe curl. Or say I made a relationship that moves the feet in a walk cycle when I drag the model bone in the z direction, and another relationship that moves the feet in a different cyle when I drag the model bone across the x direction. Is there a way to turn the z relationship off as I drag the model in x and turn off the x relation when I drag the model in z? As I said, I tried nesting these relationships in a pose by selecting the model, selecting new pose on/off, and then adding the relationship as described above, selecting the foot null, clicking on bone transformation y, selecting new relationship and moving the null in y. This is not the way to do it, as it crashes A:M. I'm not crying bug, or I need this feature or that, I'm just asking simply, has someone figured out a way to turn plain old transformation relationships off and on at different points while animating in the choreography. If not, then fine, I'll try using constraints in a pose to achieve the same end. I just seem to be able to do more with less work using a transformation relationship, rather than figuring out a complex rig to do it with constraints.

Cory

I did this by clicking on the y transformation of the null and selecting new relationship. Then I adjusted the y distance up and then curled the toes under.

You're essentially creating a variant of Smartskin when you do that, which is why it's so much easier than using constraints. However, as you probably know, Smartskin can't be turned on and off at will. Nor can any non-Pose-based Relationship.

I did think of a way for you to get the best of both worlds, though. Add a duplicate toe bone to your model and call it 'toe curler 1' or something. Re-assign all the CPs from your original toe bone to this bone. Now, create a percentage Pose and set 'toe curler 1' to Orient Like the original toe bone. (You may want to change the constraint's Enforcement Interpolation Method if you plan to fade this constraint in and out, since its default is 'hold.') Now you can toggle the Relationship on and off as needed.

Cory,

You are asking about something that will automate a decision process for the software, if I'm reading

all this correct.

I think it can be done, with expressions, using maybe an "if" expression. If toe curl = "on" then curl toes,

if not then don't....

would be the logic.

Anyone think expressions might help out here? If I had more time today, I'd give it a go myself....

maybe by tomorrow...

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I did this by clicking on the y transformation of the null and selecting new relationship. Then I adjusted the y distance up and then curled the toes under.

You're essentially creating a variant of Smartskin when you do that, which is why it's so much easier than using constraints. However, as you probably know, Smartskin can't be turned on and off at will. Nor can any non-Pose-based Relationship.

I did think of a way for you to get the best of both worlds, though. Add a duplicate toe bone to your model and call it 'toe curler 1' or something. Re-assign all the CPs from your original toe bone to this bone. Now, create a percentage Pose and set 'toe curler 1' to Orient Like the original toe bone. (You may want to change the constraint's Enforcement Interpolation Method if you plan to fade this constraint in and out, since its default is 'hold.') Now you can toggle the Relationship on and off as needed.

YES! Yes! That's it! Then I could have the toes either follow the relationship enhanced bone or follow the new toe bone, switching on or off through poses! Yes....

Thank you!

Cory

Cory,

You are asking about something that will automate a decision process for the software, if I'm reading

all this correct.

I think it can be done, with expressions, using maybe an "if" expression. If toe curl = "on" then curl toes,

if not then don't....

would be the logic.

Anyone think expressions might help out here? If I had more time today, I'd give it a go myself....

maybe by tomorrow...

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Thanks for your consideration, I think luckbat nailed it on the last post. Geez, the oldest trick in the book, using a control skeleton, and I was just stumbling all around it...

Cory