Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dborruso

AMXdts animation export issue

Hi

I am testing the AMXdts exporter in a:m version 13 on a pc with my herbie the frog model. At first I didnt have the directory set up right but I was getting just bones showing in show tool pro and they went through the animation. Then I set up the directory correctly exactly as shown in the manual and the character displayed but no animations are playing in show tool pro with my character now. I have the hierarchy right, I just don't know why the animations aren't working.

Also, everytime I run the exporter, before it exports I get a error message that says "config file error: Unable to read config file for shape ".\herbie.dts"" I don't know if this has something to do with the animation not working because when I had it set up wrong and the bones animation was playing I got this error too.

Also, when I put on the preset ghost with solid bones in show tool pro I don't see any bones now.

Any Ideas what could be wrong? Chris? Please?

Thanks

Edit:

I am getting the bones and animation now. I didn't have the model assigned to action. Now I get the animated model but the parts of the model and the bones are not in synch. The bones are moving the model parts but the model parts are not at the same place as the bones as they should be. So for example the foot bone is moving at the bottom of the skeleton but the foot model is off to the side. The parts are all over the place. It looks cubist :P I tried baking it but that didnt help.

Are you exporting your model and action to the .dts file? Or are you exporting your model to .dts and then exporting your action(s) to .dsq? There can be issues when exporting animations to the .dts file if the actions do not start from the model's default pose, so that might be the issue. Please try exporting them separately and let me know how it goes. If it still doesn't work, I'd be happy to take a look at the project file and see what I can find.

If I export the individual actions as dsq it comes out right. But the torque bones dont exactly match where the a:m bones are and it messes up the animation a bit. The frogs arms are off so they don't touch the frog's body and the knees are a little too high. I guess torque exporter doesn't export all the bones in the a:m model and it interprets them close to where they are but not exactly. Is there a fix for this? I tried baking the action but it made a mess.

If I export the individual actions as dsq it comes out right. But the torque bones dont exactly match where the a:m bones are and it messes up the animation a bit. The frogs arms are off so they don't touch the frog's body and the knees are a little too high. I guess torque exporter doesn't export all the bones in the a:m model and it interprets them close to where they are but not exactly. Is there a fix for this? I tried baking the action but it made a mess.

The exporter will, by default, only export bones that have CPs attached. You can force export of other bones (ones without CPs attached) by adding them to the .cfg file (placed in the directory that you export to) under the "AlwaysExport" section. The example files should have .cfg files that you can copy and modify, and the .dmp file will tell you what cfg file names it's looking for. Just rename yours to one of those names, and it should pick it up.

Please test it out and let me know how it goes. Again, if you're still having problems, I'd be happy to take a look at the project file.

I don't think it will help if I export all the other bones. The problem is that the bones that are attached to the cps are not aligned right when I export to torque. For example the upper arm bone should rest in the middle of the arm but when exported to torgue the arm bone rests just below the arm model, which is causing the arms to not be attached to the body when the arms go down.

Dennis, Are you using the AM 2001 rig? I ran into issues with it as well. If I remeber right, both the TSM rig and and the am one has issues with the postioning of the geometry bones. The sophisticated constraints cause issues.

I found by making a more simplified rig with just a basic IK leg sys and some torso /head controls works. You can also use helper bones at the joints with "oreient and translate " constraints. I think the issue comes when your rig has bones aiming in the opposite direction of the geometry bones and are used in a constraint method to move them,, not sure.

Another thing to try is take the the first frame of your root pose in the action and export that back out as a model. Then export it to the game engine as your DTS. Then start every action with the first frame copied from your root pose.

Paul, Do you animate with the model rotated for export? Or do you animate with the model in a normal orientation and then reapply the action to a rotated version?

With TSM my model kept showing up folded in half within the engine.

I have the 2001 rig applied to my model. Maybe that has something to do with it. I sent it to chris to look at.

I havent tried a tsm2 rig with it. I own tsm2. Is that the rig we will use for the game? I hope so, I like that rig.

Right now I have my model turned sideways, but my actions are done straight up. Then I applied the actions to the model and it worked with them in that position.

Ugh ,, my bad, I re-opened the project file with the TSM rig and everything is exporting fine. I must have been using baked actions or something and then abandoned it for a simpler rig. Ignore my original post I'm wrong.

Ugh ,, my bad, I re-opened the project file with the TSM rig and everything is exporting fine. I must have been using baked actions or something and then abandoned it for a simpler rig. Ignore my original post I'm wrong.

No problem. I have experienced a folded model too but I think that it was when I had a set of pair of controls wildly dispersed. it may also have been a badly made bounding box.

If you can animate after rotating you really are something special! :D (Unless you have one of those rotating monitors).

I have been doing the animation on a scaled model recently but I have animated a pre-scaled model before and it came into Torque just fine, though I didn't have the software to check that it was animating correctly after export.

I still have lots of testing to do with regard to scaling, animating and rotating but TSM2 is definitely up to the job and there are no signs of bone displacement anywhere.

Dennis, one thing that I noticed immediately is that your model is nearly 70 meters tall in Torque (each cm in A:M = 1 meter in Torque). It's possible that the large size is causing an issue with some of the math somewhere (maybe in Torque), which could account for the slight offset.

If it's not that, then it may have something to do with the specific rig. I have seen issues like this in the past, and sometimes it required re-setting up bones.

As a test, I shrunk your model to normal Torque size, and created a new (quick and easy) skeleton, and was able to get Herbie to animate properly. This is a screenshot of what I got (Herbie is now only ~4ft tall):

herbieSmall.jpg

*Update* I just did an export test using Hash's PLY (model) and KFM (action) exporter, and it does look like it's a rig issue. When you open the exported PLY & KFM in the AMViewer utility, the same issue comes up (the shoulders are just a bit off). My guess is that it has to do with the conversion of the contrained bones to standard bones. You may need to re-rig your model (either with another rig or just with a basic bone hierarchy).

I hope this helps.

Thanks Chris

I won't use the 2001 rig for tests I guess. Paul is getting good results with tsm2 so that is good.

I see why models must be shrunk down now.