Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

BiPlanar constraint movement

Overcast

Hey,

So I'm wanting to make it so that when one bone is moved, say, up or down in the Y axis, another bone moves the same(or a relative) distance in the X or Z axes. Move like doesnt work, and I've evn tried reorienting the bone coupled with the percentages in each respective axis (if that makes ANY sense). Either way, I think this would make it terribly easy to make a model lean one way to fix balance when it lifts it's foot- constrain the head bone to move in the x axis when a foot is lifted, which will in effect 'lean' the whole model to the one side. Any ideas? I feel like i've gotten it to do every other thing under the sun except this one...

:P

hope thats followable...

L

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The simplest way to do this is with 'expressions'. Hash even have a video tutorial on these (amongst others) here (Big file warning: 118MB, Camtasia Ensharpen codec required).

The old standard Hash rig had an auto-balance feature built in (not using expressions). I don't know how many people use auto-balance, but I for one really can't get on with it.

• Hash Fellow
I think this would make it terribly easy to make a model lean one way to fix balance when it lifts it's foot- constrain the head bone to move in the x axis when a foot is lifted, which will in effect 'lean' the whole model to the one side.

You can make a rig that shifts when a foot is lifted, but in almost all animation situations, the character needs to shift before the foot is lifted. I can't think of a situation in which the character could lift a foot before the weight was shifted to the other foot (without falling over). Try it.

Which brings up the problem of ... how would you make a rig that knows to shift the character before you lift the foot? Maybe some sort of negative lag on a constraint? But I doubt it would be satisfactory in enough situaions.