Hash, Inc. Forums

New Creature

cory

Curtis, with your knowledge of sound editing, you are one rare resource in this forum :D

Glad to have you helping out.

I'm not an expert. More like a trial & error guy having fun with some great toys, including A:M.

Curtis

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory,

I didn't know if this previz clip of the creature knocking over the camera and closing the shot with static ...

...I'm just having fun with this stuff; I realize it may not match your concept--or be possible in the time you have left--offered strictly for what it's worth.

Curtis

Curtis,

I really like the camera falling and static. I agree about the flashlight, I think it would look better with the light rendered. I actually thought of that earlier but I kinda wanted to show off the bug more.

It looks like you are having fun with it :) I finally got my laptop running again so I am starting back to work on it. Right now I have the bug in a laying position then he gets up and continues to what we already have. I may try the camera shake and fall next, and then pass it on to you for the final sound. I think I want to emphasize the model and animation capabilities of A:M so I may just keep a steady camera and light source for the shot. Don't get me wrong, I really like where your going with it, and if I were planning the shot for a dramatic movie I would certainly use all the tricks you've put in. I also would like to add your name to the end credit for sound and inspiration if that's okay. I should have something to look at very soon.

Cory

Cory,

I made a few minor changes to the camera shake version: no new action or effects, but I synced the music to the video a little better and cleaned-up the double yelp in the second screech (I wanted to see if I could shorten the screeches enough to fit and still preserve the pitch and avoid artifacts.) I thought you might want to check it out, in case you were planning on using some of this footage in the final version.

QuickTime H.264 (2.8MB)

I'm curious about the format you'll be using for the final version. The version I've been playing with is just about 24 seconds long, 640x480. Uncompressed it weighs in at 846 MB (887,751,296 bytes).

I've been interested in distributed or collaborative production using the Internet to transfer files, but I've never done it, have you? I'm very interested in how the TWO project will handle this.

I just rendered some test versions at best quality, H.264 compression out of curiosity. Of course the HD versions were rendered from a compressed SD file so they are distorted and aren't true HD, but the file sizes were what I was interested in. (23;28 seconds, 30fps, progressive):

1080p HD version, 1920x1080, is 73.8 MB (77,479,936 bytes)

720p HD version, 1280x720, is 38.7 MB (40,591,977 bytes)

DV version, 720x486, is 19.7 MB (20,705,473 bytes)

I also did an HDV/MPEG2 test, 720p, the file is 33.1 MB (34,769,526 bytes)

My NLE is supposed to be able to edit long GOP MPEG2 files in their native format, if that would be useful; I've never tried it.

The 1080p version would be just manageable for me. We'd only need to send the full resolution version twice. All the evaluation transfers could be much more compressed.

Also, 30 seconds of 1080p would be about all I'd want to edit with my single 2.4GHz HT processor, HD is really a dual processor, dual core task. Much more than 30 seconds would be a life sentence for my computer.

You may have this all pinned down. If so, I apologize for rambling,

Curtis

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

What to say about your work here that hasn't already been said?

You've got Hollywood production level animation and rendering going on there.

Simply outstanding.

If you haven't put this up on A:M Films... please do!

Rodney

Cory,

I just saw this clip--it looks great--I'd be glad to re-do the audio. Is this the SIGGRAPH version? I assume you'd like it pretty much the way it was including a music track?

Would you like me to create the closing credits? If so what is the final format and compression?

I won't be able to get to it until later this week, but I'll try to have the first version done by this weekend at the latest. When do you have to turn it in?

Curtis

Cory,

I just saw this clip--it looks great--I'd be glad to re-do the audio. Is this the SIGGRAPH version? I assume you'd like it pretty much the way it was including a music track?

Would you like me to create the closing credits? If so what is the final format and compression?

I won't be able to get to it until later this week, but I'll try to have the first version done by this weekend at the latest. When do you have to turn it in?

Curtis

Curtis,

If you would, just the audio track. You can then send me a wave file using something like YouSendIt, I'll attach it to the animation in Premiere, and add the credits there. I'd like to get it to them ASAP. If anthing, I'll upload a version with sound to A:M FIlms.

Cory

Cory,

I just wanted to let you know that I started on your audio track this morning. There are three tracks to the bug voice; I finished the first track and started the second. I have to switch to some "real word" stuff. I should be able to get back to the voice tracks later this afternoon (Pacific time.) I hope to have the first pass of the voice, footsteps and music tracks all posted sometime this evening.

Curtis

ps: nice dool

Cory,

This is the first pass at the bug voice. Bug Voice 4.56MB (H.264)

It's been one of those days and I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped. On top of everything else, my editor regressed to a demo version for some reason, may have been a MS update or something, don't know. Anyway, I'm posting this first pass of the voice for comment with an Avid watermark dead center. I'm told I have to repair or re-install the software, probably re-install, to re-register. I'll back-up everything and do that tomorrow (big sigh.)

Curtis

Cory,

This is the first pass of the complete sound track. I added a few footsteps for the bug's left legs for steps that I couldn't see. I allowed the heart beat music to continue for 10 seconds past the video to allow for a musical background for the closing credits.

Complete Sound Track (H.264--2.1MB)

Does the footstep pattern sound too much like a typewriter? I could increase the volume on the clicking portion of the steps or tone down the thumps, or both.

Curtis

Cory,

The footsteps in this version are a little more subtle. Tweaked the music a little and mixed a little thunder with the music at the end of the video--I thought it might help transition to the credits and kind of book end the thunder when he rises to the top of the frame close to the beginning.

Bug Voice, Steps & Music (H.264--2.06MB)

This is probably not the final version, but I've also included an uncompressed WAV file of this version: 48kHz, 16 bit stereo. You should be able to download it (right click the link and select "save link as..." or "copy to folder," however your browser phrases its download function) and import it into Premier. It should sync with the video when the beginning of the audio clip is aligned with the beginning of the video clip. The audio tracks in your editor might default to 44.1 kHz which might throw it out of sync, but you should be able to change the sample rate of the audio tracks.

Bug Audio (WAV file--3.93MB)

I'm open to changes and suggestions, but I'll be out of town again from sometime tomorrow afternoon until Monday night.

Curtis

EDIT: I've added a 44.1 kHz WAV file Bug Audio (44.1 kHz WAV file 3.61MB)

Cory,

I hear sort of a "shave and a haircut" kind of rhythm to the first stomps before the bug raises himself. I think it detracts from the sinister nature of the clip. I could add a little more base to the thump portion of the steps and lower the volume even more before he puts his full weight on his legs. It might blur the effect somewhat.

Curtis

Cory,

I hear sort of a "shave and a haircut" kind of rhythm to the first stomps before the bug raises himself. I think it detracts from the sinister nature of the clip. I could add a little more base to the thump portion of the steps and lower the volume even more before he puts his full weight on his legs. It might blur the effect somewhat.

Curtis

Curtis,

Sorry I have not posted a reply sooner, I've been kinda snowed under. I'm downloadding the files now, and I'll post again tonight. I'm sure they will sound great! Now, I gotta go to bed.....zzz...zzzz.

Cory

Cory,

I lowered the pitch of the thud portion of the footsteps without preserving their duration, which blends them together a little and, I think, makes the rhythm of the initial steps less obvious. I also reduced the volume of the first thuds.

I don't know what sample rate you prefer so I've again included uncompressed 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz files:

Audio Track (44.1 kHz--3.61MB)

Audio Track (48 kHz--3.9MB)

Curtis

Cory,

I lowered the pitch of the thud portion of the footsteps without preserving their duration, which blends them together a little and, I think, makes the rhythm of the initial steps less obvious. I also reduced the volume of the first thuds.

I don't know what sample rate you prefer so I've again included uncompressed 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz files:

Audio Track (44.1 kHz--3.61MB)

Audio Track (48 kHz--3.9MB)

Curtis

Curtis,

Very nice! 44.1 will be ample for me. I thank you immensly for the help. I'll rip one off the HAsh in th emorning.

Cory