Hash, Inc. Forums

Self Portrait

Thought I'd finally take a crack at modeling a realistic head to go with the ears I made earlier. This is a self portrait (egomaniacal person that I am). I made ears during a post debating what is the most difficult body part to model. (The "ears have it" in this case.) The ear models (I made an elf/orc version, too) are still available if anybody needs ears for their own model.

Ears

Here's the face to go with the ears (idealized of course--"Isn't he so handsom! Gaffaw, gaffaw...").

BillyG01.jpg

Any suggestions for improvement--for the model that is, not plastic surgery for myself--are quite welcome.

Thanks!

And here was me thinking you looked like rustboy's brother. :D Nice work.

I did say that is was an idealized portrait... Have you seen my baby picure?Baby Pic

:P

It looks good to me, William, though, personally, I prefer to add a few more patches than to use hooks where possible. Thats just me though.

Since I plan to use this to hone my facial rigging and animation skills, I may wind up removing the hooks. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great model to go with good ears! Very realistic, although I feel that you could achieve it with few patches less (imho). I can't see how hooks could affect animation here... they seem to be placed very good...

Keep us posted!

Thanks. With practice I should get better at it. This is my first try, so it is very much a learning experience. I'm following Bill Young's "Model a Face" tutorial, so you might see some of his style reflected in my head.

I'm amazed at the elegance and efficiency of some of the work posted and aspire to approach that kind of skill some day. There are some really talented people out there, most of whom are very helpful and generous.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

• 5 months later...

Still needs plenty of tweaking, but here it is attached to the ears. Ears and face are OK, but the shape of the head isn't quite right, especially at the back. The problem stems from side and frontal rotos that don't match because the camera perspective causes relative distortions.

I take it the best way to prepare rotoscope photos is to use a telephoto lense with a long focal length. ;)

So with a mirror (or two), I'll make adjustments.

Ears are my own design (with plenty of inspiration from Yves Poissant and Mark Strohbehn). The face modeling follows Bill Young's "Model a Face" tutorial CD for the most part, with a few changes mainly in how the ears and face connect.

Bill

Billv13_03.jpg