Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hovering coins

This is just an test in doing photo comp. The clip is inspired by some norwegian tv vignette, where all sorts of objects hovers to create this two. It is however a bit of work behind this, I took approximately 60 images of my livingroom that i stitched together to make an environment map and IBL image. I had to go back to "global color" instead of IBL, since the IBL gave the groundplane an unwanted colorburn. The coin is made by coloring a coin with a felt pen, and the rubbing its surface with some paper to get the patter showing, then I scanned it. scanning the coin without the coloring gave me just the highlights. The scanned image got some ps fixing, and then was used as v13 displacentmap. also attached is an image with larger coins (and IBL). I'm not sure why I made this, but I was aiming for realism, eventhough I'm not sure I achieved that :P

The coins do overlap eachother, but its just an test

Regards

Stian

[attachmentid=15674]

latest version:

[attachmentid=16970]

[attachmentid=15676]

coins_720.mov

kronetest48.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys

I rendered an new still of the coins, and ps blured the background, I'm pretty happy with this one.

Regards

Stian

[attachmentid=15678]

coins.jpg

Thanks for your comments

I think some motion blur on the coins would really help complete the illusion.

Its the image you mean? if so, I was thinking the same thing, but I was afraid I would loose all the details since they are so small and the fact that the background also is blured. Lets just say the coins have been thrown up in the air and is now midair microseconds before they starts to fall down (standings still in the air) :P just kidding. Il do a new render to see how it turns out.

Regards

Stian

This is quite interesting. I'm not familiar with the term IBL. Are you saying you are creating the illusion of a surrounding image field that simulates a 3D point of view that can be rotated as though you were in the room looking around?

BTW, I first caught the title out of the corner of my eye and misread it as "Hoovering coin", promting a vivid image of a coin vacuuming the appartment. :D

Nice work!

Bill Gaylord

The animation is great Stian. Remember, You don't have to take bazillions of images of your home; there is a way to get a quick and easy environment map by taking a photo of a chrome sphere placed preferably where your objects will be.

The only problem that i see with your render is that your shadows are grey and they are to uniformly dispersed because they have no real hardness, which would have been coming from the light above; however, even if you used the IBL setting in the AO tab, your shadows would still be inaccurate. The only way to get real shadows and shadow color is to use the archaic IBL technique, because the current IBL has no raytracing ability. Still, it looks good :)

This is quite interesting. I'm not familiar with the term IBL. Are you saying you are creating the illusion of a surrounding image field that simulates a 3D point of view that can be rotated as though you were in the room looking around?

I think you missed this thread High Dynamic Range Imaging

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your comments :)

I see you went back to those funny coins with holes.

Nice render, exceptional modeling (as always), but what's the story line?

The funny coins are an norwegian 1krone (worth 1/6 of an american dollar). Actually there is no storyline, its more like a test. the clip however is inspired by an norwegian tv channel commercial vignette where all sorts of object flies up in the air and shapes this two

the clip however is inspired by an norwegian tv channel commercial vignette where all sorts of object flies up in the air and shapes this two

The "there is no spoon" inspiration? Or Yoda's mind over matter technique? ;)

Nice work.