Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Version Confusion!

_Trip

Ok, I purchased what was listed as Animation:Master 2006 a couple of weeks ago. The box has a witch and broom on it.

The CD has a Yeti on it. The software version is 12.0 and everything in it states that it is AM 2005. (Help/About), etc.

Now, I somehow came across Version 13 Alpha and have been using that (as I am a bleeding edge kinda guy and love to debug things). Today, it said my "trial" is over with and to call a 1-800 number.

So - What am I supposed to run? What did I purchase? How do I work on the TWO project without version 13?

IS AM 2006 even out yet? :unsure:

Thanks all!

-Tim

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer, no. You did purchase A:M 2006 though.

Here's the long answer. The CD has the Yeti on it and is the A:M 2006 CD required to run the software through version 13.

Version 13 is in alpha right now and you should get the next alpha version as they are only operational for 60 or 90 days.

Also, any models from previous versions will be saved in a different format under version 13. If you are a new user, wait for V13 to be officially released.

Hope that clears up some stuff for you.

P.S. - The box art is old because they probably didn't have the new ones ready yet. Feel lucky, I only got the CD and manual with my 2006 subscription. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Short answer, no. You did purchase A:M 2006 though.

Here's the long answer. The CD has the Yeti on it and is the A:M 2006 CD required to run the software through version 13.

Version 13 is in alpha right now and you should get the next alpha version as they are only operational for 60 or 90 days.

When will the final version 13 be out? This will be the REAL version of AM2006, right?

I also purchased what I thought was AM2006. I have the Yeti CD and my box also has the Yeti. on it I was sorely disappointed when I noticed it still says AM2005 everywhere. To be honest, I felt confused and a little bit cheated. If version 13 comes out late in the year, will I still be able to get updates in 2007? Will I get a new CD and a new manual, or will version 13 just be a download?

I love the program, don't get me wrong. I am trying hard to learn it. I just wish I had known beforehand I was actually getting "AM2005 with a future upgrade to 2006" instead of really getting version 2006. Then I would have probably waited before purchasing it.

What you should only be concerned with is the image on the cd. AM is updated so often that the version on the cds is out of date in a couple of weeks. Those cds are burned when am2005 is out, so they can only have am2005 on them

But now there are updated versions of v12 and an alpha version of v13 out and anyone with a cd of the yeti on them can use them. And can update to the latest till december 2006. After that things get hazy and you may or may not be able to use v14.

The v13 alpha becoming out of date is just specific to that iteration. Wait till the next alpha (11) is released. Or let Hash know and they might do something earlier to get you going again.

Based on past experiences, the v.13 beta will be out sometime this spring, followed by an official release in the summer, with monthly updates continuing for almost a year after that. Owners of the Yeti CD will presumably be able to run all future upgrades of v13, even the ones released in 2007.

Just so you know, the "final" edition of any given A:M version is simply whatever version is available when Hash decides to stop releasing upgrades for it. Since there will likely be at least one more update to v12.0, even A:M 2005 isn't "final" yet.

Thanks for your responses. I feel a lot less uneasy now. I apologize if I came off negatively earlier. While AM is relatively cheap when compared to other 3D programs, this is still the most I have ever spent on a piece of software in my life. I guess I just wanted to make sure I am getting what I paid for.

But enough about that! Now I just need to learn to use the darn thing! :)