Hash, Inc. Forums

animated sequence series of decals

sbk

Hi,

I am sure this is easy, but I'm just not getting it. I have a model of a book. I want to put several different covers on the book with a percentage pose so I have only one model making up the little library. I understand it's possible. But how to tell the relationship "load this image, then swap at x%..."

thanks very much.

S.

I am sure this is easy, but I'm just not getting it. I have a model of a book. I want to put several different covers on the book with a percentage pose so I have only one model making up the little library. I understand it's possible. But how to tell the relationship "load this image, then swap at x%..."

It's really pretty easy. But when I tried to figure this out myself, I felt like I took too much time doing so. There are a couple different techniques I've tried for different purposes, but here are the basic things:

* Make sure advanced options are turned on (not sure why it's off by default since it seems so many answers to questions start this way)

* Put a couple different decals on a surface

* Open up the properties of the image used on one of the images and set its opacity to 0%

* In your choreography, set the "show more than drivers" for the object (that subject addressed just recently)

* at the point in the chor you wish to change images, change the opacity of each image and they'll switch.

I'm doing some educational videos and in one of them, the characters are looking at a picture of an animal and discussing its habitat. I had two decals, one of the habitat, one of the animal and the animal's picture had a transparent background. At the point in the video the habitat needed to be seen, I used a slope from 0% to 100% opacity over about 1.5 seconds to fade in the background. It looked very slick when it was done.

Alternately, you can make a targa sequence that forms a short movie (even just 1 or two frames) and then in the choreography, in the properties for the decal, set the frame number.

Speaking of the latter, I combined two techniques in another video. I made a short video of cels being slid on and off an overhead projector. Then I dropped that onto a Kleig light and in the chor, I'd stop and start motion by controlling which frame the video was on. (And a sub-note for anyone curious: to make overhead cels, use a wide-angle lens with almost 0 depth of field and then render sheets with decals on them and deform the sheets as you take them on and off the fictional overhead surface.)