Hash, Inc. Forums

Realistic Table

I am trying to get this table

[attachmentid=15049]

To look like this table

[attachmentid=15048]

Without any pre-made textures or bump maps or anything like that.

What I have done so far is this

Hinges;

White 80% diffuse falloff

Specular white 3% size 5% intensity

Reflectivity 25%

Top and bottom of table top, inner and outer of legs;

Blue 110% diffuse falloff

1% roughness 1% scale

85% transparency

10% Reflectivity

Sides of the Table top, sides top and bottom of legs;

Black

10% roughness 5% scale

30% transparency

5% reflective

Ground;

White 100% diffuse falloff

white specular 7% size 100% scale

5% reflectivity

8 skylights 20% intensity, basic set up

1 sun light to cast shadow

30cm width

800cm fall-off

30% intensity

2 Shadow rays cast with .05 cm bias 80% darkness

Any suggestions on how to get it to look more like the real think would be appreciated. I think I provided all the information.

Thanks

James

post-7171-1141938135_thumb.jpg

post-7171-1141938149_thumb.jpg

I would suggest that all of the glass pieces share the same properties. The key is in color, transparency,index of refraction, reflectivity.

Then you need a backdrop like the one used to photograph the real table. Then spot lights--not skylights.

Then you need radiosity to simulate the caustics from the glass.

I would suggest that all of the glass pieces share the same properties. The key is in color, transparency,index of refraction, reflectivity.

Then you need a backdrop like the one used to photograph the real table. Then spot lights--not skylights.

Then you need radiosity to simulate the caustics from the glass.

So instead of having the sides of the glass black, I should just make it the color of the rest of the glass?

Will the spot lights and radiation compensate for taking away that color?

Well, I will give it a try, 2 or 3 spot lights? I can only think there were 2 spotlights on all the photo shoots i have seen.

Okay, enough talk, back to work. The back drop should be the same color and properties of the ground?

Never set up a real or fake photo shoot, so this is a learning experience for me.

Thanks for the help.

One more thing, I only know how to do the fake radiosity, so I guess my first stop is the Radiosity forum.

Thanks again.

James

the edge of the table appears black because the ceiling beyond that backdrop is not lit (it appears black). the ceiling is being refracted by the glass so that is what you are seeing in the table edge.

Recreating the environment of the photo is the way to duplicate the look. The photo only appears to have 2 lights, so I would start with that.

Odog -

I would also head over to the radiosity section of this forum. There is a wealth of info there and many of your questions have already been both asked and answered there. My "personal lighting study" thread has alot of info (not from me but many others)that address some of the points that Will made re: color of glass, refraction, caustics, etc. Best of luck with your project.

..doug

You might look at the Bradbury thread on using semi-transparent spheres and the spinning llight trick -or- Yves new IBL feature. Then, since it's a still, add an environment map texture to the whole model. That would at least give the thing another look and you may be able to build off it.

It may take 6 years to render though. :)