Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Billowing Hair

cribbidaj

I've been messing with A:M's (v.12t) hair emitter today and am trying to get a "billowing in the wind" animation in either an action or a choreography. I haven't found a tutorial that addresses this, so I apologize if there is an obvious oversight on my part. I've tried to adapt the A:M "Wave The Flag" tutorial to my current needs, but am running into a snag since I'm using a hair emitter, not A:M cloth. How do I get my hair material to react to a wind force?

-Chris

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have dynamics turned on in the hair material properties - still can't affect it with my force in the choreography. The hair moves nice with the model's head movement - but no wind blowing. Am I correct to assign the force's attribute to fBm?

He means you have to turn it on in the Chor: Hit shift-8.

When I hit shift-8 in the choreography window the hair disappears. I'm sure there is just some setting in either the force properties or the material properties that is not set properly. I've tried tweaking every possible button - perhaps the order in which I've tweaked is the issue. I'm dopping long, straight, black hair to the back of a sphere to keep the exercise simple. To get the hair to lay straight back I've set the hair emitter's force to: x=0, y= - 500, z=0. As I stated, the hair reacts perfectly when I create a simple back and forth or side to side head movement, so my settings work well in that way. It's just adding a force with fBm turbulence (I assume this is correct?) that seems to do very little.

- Chris

Try setting the magnitude property on the force. Even if you want the default of 100%, click in the box to highlight it and then hit "Enter" on your keyboard. I find it sometimes has to be reset like that.

Nos

Yeah, I actually learned that from the "Flag Wave" tutorial. Do I need to set up a dynamic constraint? It seems like maybe I haven't set the hair to recognize and respond to the wind force. Do I right click in the choreography and select simulate springs? How do I set up the hair properties to respond to force? In the "flag" tut some of the control points are assigned to react to force. How do I do this with hair?