Hash, Inc. Forums

Railroad Station Waiting Room

Roger,

You always had the detail and a pretty good grip on lighting. I bet you you using the new ambient occlusion, aren't you?

If you have the time, for the love of god, please get in tough with Alain for some TWO set or prop building. I'm not sure to what extent Frank H is still involved, but he was considered our ace in the hole for building the architectural sets (not that the current crew is crap, just thinking out loud(in text actually)). I haven't heard much from him in a while. This is an area where you have been, as long as I've been around, a major leader and with TWO, you could probably get to work on some stuff that you wouldn't normally work on and add that touch of fantasy design to your strong real-world talents.

Really cool project here, Roger.

Reminds me of Union station in Toronto, and even the old Windsor station in Montreal

It's a close reproduction of the now demolished Pennsylvania Railroad station in New York. It was built during the same era as the stations you described; a time when the railroads were the engine of the economy and their CEO's were some of the richest men on the continent. They built these huge stations as shrines to their "obviously superior" business skills.

Isnt the entire room built though?

Not yet. The perimeter wall divides into eight sections, three of which are almost finished (see attachment). Part of the reason for the close-up was to give me good look at the iconic column tops. They were a major pain.

Are you using radiosity with this, or AO?

Neither, I tend to never use a new feature for a version or two while the programmer's work the kink's out. I guess you'd call my lighting, old-school overkill. It's all raytraced using an array of 90 kliegs to simulate skylight and bounce light from the surrounding buildings and streets. I tried to use less but the wide vertical columns in the lunette windows kept casting shadows within the room. The sunlight adds another two kliegs and then there's four sun lights to fake bounce light from the floor.

I would like to see it populated with people and a pigeon or two

All in due time. For now all I can offer is my checkered, 6 ft. reference cylinder. :)

station_lighting_test_B.jpg

This is great! When you build a room (and spacious one at that) like this, do you build it as a single model or as seperate models assembled in the chor? The look of depth and lighting is impressive. 90 kliegs tell's me that my 5 bulb light's in a chor is not as many as I thought. I actually thought I was pushing it.

Is this for personal work or for a job?

Personal. (Oh, if I could only get someone to pay me for modeling such things.)

Will we get a walk through?

Someday, after I finish the other 3/4 of the entire station complex; commercial arcade, waiting room, concourse and train shed, I'd love to do a SteadyCam, tracking shot from street entrance to boarding the train.

When you build a room...like this, do you build it as a single model or as seperate models assembled in the chor?

As tempting as it is to build the entire thing as a one model, there's so much repeated detail that it didn't seem practical. As well I have a philosophical problem with assembling something in the chor; it just doesn't seem "right". So I'm building this room using Action Objects in an action files; 59 objects and counting.