Hash, Inc. Forums

Boris & Jimbo

Very nice and very appealing characters. What is the project? These guys could go a long way in my humble opinion. The rat, er, sorry, Boris, reminds me of the "Ice Age" characters. How'd you come up with those guys?

Btw, I'm just learning about lighting, would you share your lighting setup? I like the way the characters are displayed. Did you use a skylight?

Anyways, enough of my babble.

Great job, can't wait to see them in action.

• Admin

Very nice! As has been said these are great characters. They look like they'll be fun to animate.

I like the stark lighting style and the stark character color too. Is that the lighting style that you'll be using in animation? I like. :)

Is that hair you are using for the whiskers are is that modeled geometry?

Hi!

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

@Eric:

The lightsetup is a lightrig (a little blueish), one Specular-Spot-Light and a fill light from the bottom. To get the white background I used fog.

@Rodney:

At the moment I'm experimenting with different background styles, maybe I end with this one (yup, the first idea is often the best one)

No hair on this, just geometry (with dynamic-options).

Cheers,

David

What can I say?

I have not seen characters with this much personality in a loong time!

I can't wait to see them move!

btw... I too like your light setup very much! Could you (please) post choreography with your light and fog setup?

Drvarceto

KEEP US POSTED!

• 1 month later...

LOL. That sure made me laugh :lol: Great stuff

@agep:

^^ Right at the moment you wrote your comment I was checking for opportunities in norway. :blink:

That must be a sign ...

@all: I'm happy that you like it. Stay tuned! ;)

:P These characters are VERY cute. I have not had much success doing cute, most of my character designs have a very HARD look to them. My wife wishes I was doing cute stuff instead of what I currently do also. very nice style on these two characters, my compliments!! keep up the fine work.

Wow! I just read the biographies of Boris & Jimbo. Dude! You got yourself a winner. This is major media material.

<sigh> How I wish I was on your team.

Hey, I'll be in Germany in August, what part of Germany do you live? Maybe I can give you a visit and pick your brain :)

Wow! I just read the biographies of Boris & Jimbo. Dude! You got yourself a winner. This is major media material.

<sigh> How I wish I was on your team.

Hey, I'll be in Germany in August, what part of Germany do you live? Maybe I can give you a visit and pick your brain :)

The "team" consists of me, myself & I. ;)

I live in Düsseldorf.

Cheers,

DJ

• Admin

I want to complement you on your website.

It very nicely promotes your work and takes us into the world of Boris & Jimbo.

Its a very professional piece of work and it feels like we are part of the creation process. :)

Your implementation of Boris's nose is noteworthy.

It's not often you see such successful animation with such an appendage. (Sorry Boris but like your creator I have to tell the truth). With a nose of that length its often hard to make the facial animation work. As you've designed things you even have a great source for secondary animation. Superb.

Outstanding job DJ!

Rodney, you make me blush ... I'm glad you like it!

@Dhar:

Well, actually Aschaffenburg is not around the corner (ok, in US-measure-terms it is close by ;-) ). Plus the problem that I really don't know if I'm available at this time. :-(

• 2 months later...

Wow. How did I miss this thread? Very nice characters. I like the second animation....the fly seems almost drunk. The only thing I don't like is the hand going up on frames 294-297. I preferred the fist take on that bit. In fact the whole hand move before it was better in the first.....more nonchalant.

Keep it up and us posted!

• 3 weeks later...

So, the next test is ready to go. At the moment I'm building the setting for my short.

There's still a loooong way to go, the szene is still missing background props (small hills, trees & stuff) an tweaking of the front things. Also the lighting is not final! So there's plenty to do right now.

The main intention for this shot was to test the look of grass. It's some sort of "mass" right now and I'll give it more contrast in the future.

Anyhow, here you go:

scene_01_boris_walk_640x360.jpg