Hash, Inc. Forums

rig my tripod

cuboos

I have made a WOTW tripod modal that i want to use in a fan film but i cant get the rig i want on it it has a rig already but its not the one i want i want it to be like the 2001 rig but with a tripod not a biped and a easyer way to animate the tentacles but you don't need to do the tentacles if you don't want to but yes i would apreshiate it if one of you could rig my tripod

here's the modal

[attachmentid=14885]

tripod3.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Nice tripod.

There are lots of ways it could be done depending on what you're trying to do with it, but the placement of the bones in it now seems a bit odd.

You might get someone to guide you thru the process of doing one leg and then you'd know how to do the other two.

I wish you would have posted an image of the model.

You would get many more people interested in helping you as one would not have to

download and open on their system to help you.

How about posting an image? Shaded wireframe would be best.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Hash Fellow

Here's something I'm not sure about... do you really want the top segment of the legs to bend in the middle? Wouldn't it better to have the bone start where the leg begins? then the whole segment would move with the bone.

tripodbones.png

• Hash Fellow

very cool. It seems to me if you want to do the first gait the legs will have to hit the ground much closer together. Your model seems to intend them to be widely placed.

but, if you bend the legs any closer together the first bend is going to be very pinched. How about putting another joint at the first bend, like you have for the "knees"?

ah,a war of the worlds tripod project...i was hoping someoe would do that.yet when i saw the movie my mom and my sister hated the ending.yet to me its one of the best endings ive seen.its so meaningful...the one thing we take for granted saved or lives(metaphoricly).excelent.Nice model by the way. can't help with the rigging now i have alot of projects to do.

Cuboos,

I'm not really interested in doing the rigging for you, but I certainly would listen to what you've done and

give you my suggestions.

So, what have you done?

The legs look like they move like a real persons leg would. So I'm think that is how I'd go about it.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Hash Fellow

Here's how I would do it. This is pretty much standard leg rigging...

-of course you've named your leg segments something useful... I'm calling them thigh, calf, foot. Since you have three legs you'll have to something like 1thigh, 1calf, 1foot... 2thigh, 2calf, 2foot... etc. I'm putting the numeral first so bones from the same leg will group together in the Chor listing.

-there's no foot null, but I've added a null for a "kneetarget". this will keep the knee from bending backwards

-the thigh and calf bones are child/grandchild of the main body, but foot bones and knee targets are not. That's so the feet will stay planted when you move the body.

-Knee target is a child of the foot bone. this makes the direction of the knee follow where the foot is pointing

[attachmentid=15913]

In a new "ON-OFF Pose":

-a "Kinematic" constraint (compensate mode ON )makes the calf bone follow the foot. No foot null needed

-an "aim at" constraint (no compensate mode) makes the thigh try to point to the knee target. This won't be apparent until you put the character in a chor and move the foot up and down.

- you could hide the foot knee targets when you're done, or leave them visible if you want to shift the knee while the foot is planted.

Edit: Hide the calf and thigh bones when you are done, you won't want to animate them directly.

You'll need to repeat this setup for each leg but you can put it all in the same pose.

Remember to turn the pose ON when you test the character out in a chor.

sample of one leg:

[attachmentid=15914]

hope that helps!

tripodleg.png

TripodLeg.zip

ROBCAT2075 YOU ARE FREAKING AWESOME! you helped me achieve something i have been trying to achieve for about 3 months now you rock!

i made a small movie of what it did for me. it sucks because i tried to do it in a hurry and i did this at 5:00 A.M. it took me about five minuets to reinstall the rig on my tripod lol the tentacles came out better then the walk

[attachmentid=15918]

comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated

and heres the project file i see if you can do better (probably can) :lol:

[attachmentid=15919]

lol maybe hash should have this as a new TAOAM exercise 7.5 multi legged (tripod) object walk cycle

lets see what you can do for this as for me i'm going to get some sleep

note if i sounded like i was drunk or something like that it is because i am rely tired and i don't realize what i type.

firsttripodwalk.zip

tripod_walk.zip

• Hash Fellow

ROBCAT2075 YOU ARE FREAKING AWESOME! you helped me achieve something i have been trying to achieve for about 3 months now you rock!

thanks

i made a small movie of what it did for me. it sucks because...
yup, but you had fun.

and heres the project file i see if you can do better (probably can) :lol:

you didn't embedd the model in the project file.

BTW, you should probably also hide the thigh and calf bones hen you are done rigging since you won't want to manipulate those directly while animating

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

can any one make a walking action for my tripod or show me how to make the action.

hmmm, interesting problem...

I noticed too late that you have the model bone slightly angled, that creates alot of interpolation weirdness inthe feet.

you're also missing a constraint in one of the legs; it points to "none" for a target.

One of my animation teachers actually worked on the Tom Cruise WotW. I dont think he'd approve of what I've done but, here's a rough pass on a three legged walk. The wide stance of your model pretty much limits us to the "2 feet and 1 foot" walk.

It's hard to make "walk cycle" when the two strides are not equal. I could'nt quite get it to work. look at eh ease channel to see how I got the beginnign and end of the walk to match up.

As far as making your own, you follow the standard formula for "walks"... first make th contact poses where the "heel" is first hitting th e ground. Then do the passing poses inbetween them where the foot onthe ground is going backward and the footinthe air is being lifted forward. then polish, polish, polish.... ;)

tripodWalk.mov

tripodwalkRCH07.zip

• Hash Fellow

Now that I've watched a few dozen times, I think it might be better if the middle leg was the "front" and the two side legs were the "back". then there would be two legs supporting him on the long step and the one leg would be saved for the short step.

Something to try, if you're so inclined.

The one leg at a time walk might be possible too but he'd have to shift the weight from side to side in a rather unusual fashion to stay balanced.

it is interesting and i don't know if the leg in the front will help i have been thinking about remodeling the legs to make them look more mechanical and easier to animate and that walk cycle was a bit to bouncy this thing it suppose to way like 1000 tons and i'm trying to go for a creepy look for my tripod i'm trying to make a creepy movie but its interesting

I just went to see the live version of Jeff Wayne's "The War Of The Worlds".

There was some pretty good, and pretty poor animation in there. One of the good ones was the gait of the battle tripods that you see on the album cover - they use a 123 gait, but it looks good because the leg segments have a varying length. They are like pistons so the walk looks more natural, because each leg is pushing off the ground, instead of the walk being achieved by moving the CoG and recovering.

The non-battle tripod (on Mars) looked like it was rigged by someone as amateur as I, and Richard Burton's "reincarnation" had a machinima feel to it, and glitched often in a Max Headroom style.