Hash, Inc. Forums

Meet our new character!

Hello All,

I wasn't going to post anything for quite some time on our developments or productions (and so on) but I couldn't wait to show you the beginnings of our developments on our short film. Mind you this is still a work in progress and there are a few things to tweak, add or modify. This is just a simple test of how the main character is coming along.

The designs are mine but since I am not able to model due to lack of time and of course it would take me a hell of a lot longer then someone who actually eats, poops and sleeps modeling, I had to use the services of others. Special thanks goes to Stian Ervik Wahlvåg for offering up his skills on modeling this character. He is an extreme pleasure to work with.

Oh by the way it was rendered in orthographical (no perspective) view. Reason being it is easier to compare the images as close as possible to the rough designs. We also used v13 AO (ambient occlusion?) to achieve the render and I must say I am pleased with the results. The copy you see here is a reduced image from a much larger file. The watermarking is for our company's intellectual rights and property protection and has to be present on any public display of our works in progress. I'm sure most of you understand all that.

Well let us know your thoughts. If you have questions please ask. Who knows it may even get answered ;) .

Enjoy (if you want that is)

Dimos

[attachmentid=14824]

post-288-1141244154_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

As far as the technical aspects of the model goes....Stian can better answer those questions. I'm sure he'll be on soon to answer what he can.

But I am guessing it is an image map that was used with the bitmmapstyle plugin thingy..... ( I actually have somewhat of a technical understanding of this but it hurts my brain to use technical gargin.... ;)

Anyway I am glad you enjoy so far....

Thanks

Dimos

Well done, Dimos and Stian!

He looks ready for accidental adventures. ;-)

Please keep us posted.

PERFECT!!!! You saw accidental adventures in this model and that is exactly what I was hoping for.....THANKS!!!

Dimos

Oh! Thats such a cool character! looks like he would be fun to animate.

I like how he isn't uniformed, like his pant legs are different lengths, and his collar of the shirt is off to one side. says alot about what kind of character he is going to be.

Great Job!!!

can't wait to see more. :D

Absent minded....Definitely!

Professor....Not quite.....He's more a salesman....The travelling kind.

I am glad to see the little nuances are getting picked up....I was shooting for that kind of thing.

I must add Stian is doing a fantastic job converting my designs to the 3D world....I was a little worried at first that this character would be too "graphic" and "cartoony" for CG but Stian did an amazing job. He has been a great help, and an awesome guy to work with and he's real receptive to direction and critisms! The only unfortunate thing is we are doing this over the internet and I sure wish we could work side by side. He's a really smart guy and freaking talented, even more so that he's pretty much self taught. THANKS Stian.

Anyway, thanks also to you all for the comments. I'll try to keep you all posted on the progress as much as I can.

Dimos

Thanks for your kind words Dimos :blush: This was an fun model to work on, a great design.

Stian needs no introduction in these forums, he's an inspiration. I'm looking forward to meeting him at the Hash Bash :D

Thanks Dhar. I'm really looking forward to the hash bash :)

Very nice! Is his coat a material?

The coat is made of a small piece of texture applied with the help of BitMapPlus

Stian's going to Hash Bash? damn! wish i could! next year maybe.

Nice design dimos, I really like the character...

Stian... Just stop man, you're too good! when they finally figure out how to make replicators, Stian is going to create the "molecular models", I think!

• 4 months later...

OK here's a lil update long time coming. Rodney wants to see t so there y'all go.

Anyway the file is a walk test of Giuseppe. It is not the final walk just a basic walk test to see how the rig felt. Personally I don't like the rig so it needs to be re-done from the ground up but that's just me. Lots of things are wrong with this most notably the wobbly legs. ANyway I hope you like and stuff.

Dimos[attachmentid=19179]

giuseppe_walk_test_cropped.mov

Thanks Rodney, mtpeak2 and DeeJay,

Are you using an aim roll at constraint on the calf (the calf is rolling over)? You probably just need to adjust the position of the target.

Yes, his calves are rolling and it could be the constraint. I did this a while ago and from what I remember I tried to adjust everything I could and nothing worked. I didn't rig it myself because I don't know how to do that. I understand the theories behind rigging and so on (at least I think I do) I just don't have the time or patience for that sort of stuff. Too busy with contracts and paying the bills to learn another things right now. One of the reasons I am looking for decent riggers who want to help out. Does anyboday know someone willing to help out? ;)

Great stuff so far! I'd like to see more of this, concept designs etc.

Is it possible?

I will show stuff from time to time but I can not and WILL not show much. Just teasers! I need to protect my "intellectual property" rights and that of my company's, partners and associates.

-Dimos

Nice model Dimos.

the walk is pretty brisk for an older chap.

Ever notice how many of Pixars characters have small feet? I think that is because big feet, while they look cool for some characters, get in the way and cause problems to animate.

I'd be willing to "help" out with the rigging, but specifiy what the reinbursment is or isnt.....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Hey Mike,

Yeah the walk is very brisk for an older guy. This walk was only meant as test in "RIG-arobics". I wanted to get a feel for it and see how the basic rig would work for him. I haven;t decided how he's gonna move yet.

I like the big feet but I am pretty sure they will have to be reduced. Not by much though because this character is a little clumsy and tripping over his feet from time to time would be kind of neat.

As far as reinbursment for "help" well I have a contract that specifies what reinbursement is but in a nutshell it's a deferred payment agreement. I am funding this on my own for now and producing it through my company so I can't afford much at all at this moment. Some "MONEY" people are interested but they want to see more before they delve into a new project.

If your still interested email me and we'll talk.

Thanks for your input and inquiry.

-Dimos

Hey Mark,

Not including sets, props and other miscellaneous models there will be anywhere from 6 to 10 characters and 6 to 12 vehicles. Right now Giuseppe is the ONLY model. Oops his scooter is modelled by the GREAT Stian but it came out to realistic. I have to design a more cartoony scooter that suits Guiseppes design so Stian can work his magic on that. Giuseppe's wife "Bella" is in design stages and so are the "THUGS".

So far there are three set requirements. 1) A picturesque pasture with a beautiful tree on top of one of the hills not to far off a small rural road 2) A dusty rural road with ditch at each side of the road and 3) a scummy, near abondoned gas station/biker bar in the middle of a dusty remote rural setting (almost desert like).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head!

-Dimos

Mark,

I'd appreciate that! Email me and we will discuss what's needed. It may be a while before I can get you anything. There is still alot of work to be done before rigging anyhow. As far as time goes it's not much of a problem for now. That could change if there is a pitch/presentation that I'd have to aim for. Also you will have to sign a deferred payment contract and so on and do forth. We could discuss all that later.

-Dimos