Hash, Inc. Forums
tido

models compatible for game?

Hi,

I've been developping games but I used to make my models with milkshape 3d(a lot cheaper).

My question is the following: How can the models made with AM be used in a game because, in games, the models used are made with triangles and not squares like AM does... Is AM converting squares to triangles?

thanks

tido

Generally people export their models from A:M.

Although I think some of the folks here are actually developing games with the A:M SDK. I don't know, I just use it for animation.

A:M game makers... chime in... help this guy out! :D

When you export a model from a:m with directx plugin then import into gamestudio, the model becomes triangles. Each patch becomes 2 triangles. It retains all its texture and animation.

Actually DirectX supports NURBS, B-Splines and Bezier Curves (I believe AM uses bezier curves), the problem is that not all video cards support these.

Source: Focus on Curves & Surfaces by Kelly Dempski, ISBN 159200007X

I have been trying to find out if any video cards support beziers, so far the only thing I found is that NVIDIA iwas interested in implementing them (from a CPU printed in 2002 or 2003)

Note that DirectX probably has some issues, I do know that it didn't support many of the tricks you can use on NURBS & B-Splines. You should also know that OpenGL supports patches (which is why it's default).

As suggested by Martin in other topics, download & use the SDK to use AM mdls, as this allows you to leverage the format without having to parse the files yourself.

Yes, you can export your 3D to direct X via the AMTex view plugin by Obsidian games. Also, you can texture your model, even unwrap the textures to it, then the viewer will show the textures in warp on the model. (Pretty cool trick) We have 4 complete models for our game, and the engine is being written by hand, no utilities in use exept Delphi. WoW, here we come... B)

Or you can export your models and actions directly to the Torque Game Engine using Obsidian Games DTS Torque Exporter....

We're actually looking at that right now as the solution for a rather large game that's in the pre-development stages (huge indoor and outdoor scenes, flying, action, etc.)

Greg

My opinion: several years ago, people used to model triangle-wise, because every triangle counted on the weak graphics cards polygon capabilities. I used to make models in 3d max using just triangles.

Nowadays, not only A:M modelers, but almost any modeler using any method, trends to relax a little about that, and produce quad -based models, either polygons or patches. Every quad will be split in two triangles - and in A:M you don't have control of in which way the patch will be divided - but that's not so critical by now, and it's far less important than the time you will take to create your art and produce your game.

Hey do any of you guys know if 3D max is compatible with AM?I am asking this becouse i want to import a model from 3D max into AM.

Hey do any of you guys know if 3D max is compatible with AM?I am asking this becouse i want to import a model from 3D max into AM.

Once, I tried to export to 3Ds, all I got was CP's translated, with triangle patches, not splines and patches - much to my dismay. I have not successfully imported a 3ds file. That was about a year ago, so perhaps 3DS has gotten better at exportations, as well as AM.

Once, I tried to export to 3Ds, all I got was CP's translated, with triangle patches, not splines and patches - much to my dismay. I have not successfully imported a 3ds file. That was about a year ago, so perhaps 3DS has gotten better at exportations, as well as AM.

The *.max-format can't be important (from any application with some exceptions if you have Max installed).

*.3ds is a Polygon-format, so you won't be able to import or export splines/patches/nurbs or whatever.

Best way to export/import would be to use the *.obj or *.x-format.

There are quite good plugins for A:M for these formats. The plugins have been renewed lately with a better algorithm for 5-point-patches and hooks.

From A:M to 3ds is not the biggest problem anymore, but the other way round you will cause problems...

The problem of too many polygones wont be solved by this new plugins, that means: If you go from 3ds to A:M, your Polygon-count should really really be small.

*Fuchur*