Hash, Inc. Forums

ZachBG's Awesome Olypic Animation

Atomike

In case you haven't seen it, Zach has a video podcast which he updates regularly with his work:

http://www.hash.com/users/zachbg/vodcast.html

His stuff is always great, but this week's Olympic-themed video is particularly hilarious.

Zach probably has the most consistently laugh-out-loud animations, and I can't imagine why you wouldn't subscribe to this excellent podcast. Go do it now!!

• Admin
I can't imagine why you wouldn't subscribe to this excellent podcast.

I can. Bandwidth, blocked internet sites and firewall issues. :(

The world just isn't fair to us animation fanatics.

I'll catch up later with ZachBG's work though. Looking forward to that. :)

Go get 'em Zach!

Was that rendered with AO?
Everything except the last shot, which used a Jeff Lee skylight rig.
I notice there's some illumination flickering in the last shot. Was that a problem, or something you left in because you had better things to do than re-render?

It's a good fun piece. I also thought your State of the Union anim was very funny.

Thanks!

There was flickering because Jeff's skylights have a problem occasionally with 24 fps, for some reason; they get out of sync eventually, depending on the number of passes. I've never been able to figure out why.

I would have done that bit with AO as well, if it hadn't popped out at 30 minutes per frame. I'd like to re-render it, but I'll probably never get around to it...

Hey Zach, what do you use to record sound? hardware/software/price?

I use Pro Tools LE with an MBox; basically a USB interface with two XLR/instrument jacks. It's fairly expensive as sound interfaces go--$250--but you get to use the same software that Skywalker Sound uses. (I say "fairly expensive" but most ProTools interfaces are in the thousands of dollars.) Then I have an Octava mic which I got for like 10% of retail at Guitar Center (this was two years ago at least, so I doubt that promotion is still running.)

But sometimes, if I don't have the mBox handy, I just use a free, open-source sound editor called Audacity and my built-in mic or a headset mic. That's all you need, really, especially if you process the sound with a hiss remover.

What? No crowd noise?

Hey, the crowd is very quiet during dives! It's like a tennis match, except with water. And no rackets or John McEnroe.

• Hash Fellow

What? No crowd noise?

Hey, the crowd is very quiet during dives! It's like a tennis match, except with water. And no rackets or John McEnroe.

A gasp from the crowd[attachmentid=14713]

And then a distant "That's gotta hurt!"

LoonGasp.mov

• 1 month later...
I subscribed to Zach's podcast with iTunes, but I only get the audio on playback (I've got QT v7.0.4). Am I missing something in the settings somewhere?
Probably not - you're probably missing a codec, although that does seem unlikely as you have the latest version of QT. Have you tried downloading the movie file directly instead of using iTunes? That's what I did (I have QT 7.0 on a Mac) and had no problems.