Hash, Inc. Forums

Auto Walk Rig

cory

I made a simple auto walk rig. You just load it into an action, constrain the hips to the hip null, and feet to the left and right nulls respectively, then drag the main bone and it walks. You'll probably have to scale your character down to fit it thought, as for some reason I only made it with a 50 cm stride. The only caveat is that it only works in the z direction right now. If someone smarter than I can figure out how to make it work in X as well, we'll have something.

Here tis,

Cory

I made a simple auto walk rig. You just load it into an action, constrain the hips to the hip null, and feet to the left and right nulls respectively, then drag the main bone and it walks. You'll probably have to scale your character down to fit it thought, as for some reason I only made it with a 50 cm stride. The only caveat is that it only works in the z direction right now. If someone smarter than I can figure out how to make it work in X as well, we'll have something.

Here tis,

Cory

Oops I dont' seem to be able to attach the file...duh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cory.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been quit busy. I'm very interested in how you set this up. If you can give an explanation, that would be great. I have an idea on how to do the x axis and maybe the y axis as well. This is my thoughts on this. Setup the x axis to side step, that way in combination of the tranlation of z and x it will move forward and to the side together (constraining it to a winding path with translate only will look as though it is dodging obstacles). Setup the y axis as though you are climbing a ladder (may not work, because of the y direction being used in the z direction). If this all works together nicely, you can set it up to a path with hills or walk up a staircase or, as I mentioned before, side step obstacles. I hope you are still working on how to go about this. Thanks for sharing your efforts.

Hi Cory.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been quit busy. I'm very interested in how you set this up. If you can give an explanation, that would be great. I have an idea on how to do the x axis and maybe the y axis as well. This is my thoughts on this. Setup the x axis to side step, that way in combination of the tranlation of z and x it will move forward and to the side together (constraining it to a winding path with translate only will look as though it is dodging obstacles). Setup the y axis as though you are climbing a ladder (may not work, because of the y direction being used in the z direction). If this all works together nicely, you can set it up to a path with hills or walk up a staircase or, as I mentioned before, side step obstacles. I hope you are still working on how to go about this. Thanks for sharing your efforts.

I based this on a maya rig tutorial. I used a relationship like maya uses a set driven key. I related the z axis movement of the whole rig to the z and y axis movement of the feet nulls. Then made the curves of the feet movement repeat on both post and pre extrapolation. This handled z axis nicely, but doing the same for x only screwed up the equation. So I tried adding a mediator bone between the hips and feet and set up a relation ship to turn the rig when dragged in the x axis. This worked somewhat, but I could not make the rig stop turning as the distance in x increased. I also tried making x a sidestep but this only increased the distance of the strides as the rig is moved in both directions at once (i.e. at an angle). So right now, the rig is of no more use than stride length and path constraint. But I could see a use for multilegged rigs where you could copy the rig multiple times and have each on follow the other with a lag set. If you check out the settings of the relationship in the model I uploaded you might could build from there. Let me know if your ideas work, because I am stumped at this point. Maybe someone who is versed in expressions could help.

Cory

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[autowalkz]:how can be done a rotation around the center of gravity ?

tried to do that with orient like contraints, but the axis of the bone isn´t changing.

any ideas?

I dont know, I tried using a relationship to control rotation but it didn't quite work like I wanted it to.

Cory