Hash, Inc. Forums

New Revision of Mouth Creature

cory

Here is a new revision of the mouth creature.

http://home.alltel.net/collinsfamily04/walk.avi

I like the skin on this one. Thanks a bunch to Will for the excellent tute on mapping! One point though, if you use the approach of using one image pasted "through" the body, (from one side) the bump map portion becomes inverted on opposite sides. Color is fine, it's just the bump map. Due to normal direction I suppose.

I now understand how to use the UV editor, and it is a gas! :lol:

Cory

That's great! Love the texture. The animation doesn't look right. I think abit more overlap between the legs would be better....so he always (nearly) has at least 3 legs on the ground at one time.

Also, you have too many keyframes in the neck IMO. It should be smoother. I can see what you're doing though.....the head stays as it is untill the feet come down. Then the head starts to fall because of that. Just needs some polishing.

That is terrifying! I personally would like to see more rigging/weighting around the shoulders, however. If a quadruped did have such an unlikely bone shape around the shoulder area, they'd need a ton of muscle wrapped around it to maneuver it. Right now the shoulder moves like on a posable figurine, like it's attached to a peg.

It looks amazing!

What caught my eye was the paw motion. This creature is walking like he's burnt his feet on something. At the moment he lifts his paws, moves them forward slightly, drops the toes fully and then moves the leg forward. How about modifying the walk slightly so that he claws his way forward. Emphasize the grasping the ground a bit more and let the toe stay on the ground until the leg is ready to pull it forward. Then curl the toes under as he makes the effort to propel the leg forward.

But then you probably weren't posting this to get a crit on anything but the texturing so ... it looks great! :-)

It looks amazing!

What caught my eye was the paw motion. This creature is walking like he's burnt his feet on something. At the moment he lifts his paws, moves them forward slightly, drops the toes fully and then moves the leg forward. How about modifying the walk slightly so that he claws his way forward. Emphasize the grasping the ground a bit more and let the toe stay on the ground until the leg is ready to pull it forward. Then curl the toes under as he makes the effort to propel the leg forward.

But then you probably weren't posting this to get a crit on anything but the texturing so ... it looks great! :-)

Thanks everyone,

Yeah, the walk cycle was kinda thrown together. I see the point about the shoulders as well. I'll see what I can do.

Cory

v cool, still no lead though!

The artifact is I think motion blur from a non multipass render.

It doesnt function well on moving cameras and characters when both used together.

Nixie

If you haven't posted him on cg talk.. I think you oughta... He is one scary creture... the walk is a bit fast but... if he "smells/senses" food he might be in a hurry. It'd be funny if at the end of his walk he got to his bowl of kibbles and bits!

I have not put him on CGTalk, where would he go?

probably the work in progress open for crtiques forum. I fyou've not posted there, you may not be able to until you have a couple of posts... I dunno for sure...

But, be forwarned... those guys will pick it apart... only creatures meaner than a mouth creature are members of cgtalk!