Hash, Inc. Forums

Why does enforcement change cause movement?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Can anyone explain this to me?

Two bones, siblings of each other.

the left one is "aim at" constrained to the right one, with offsets (so it maintains it's original direction in relation to the target bone)

so far so good.

but as I lower the enforcement of the constraint, the bone veers from its original direction, then snaps back right at 0%

You can't say it was returning it's original direction, it was there already.

Is this a feature or a bug? And if it is a feature, what purpose does it serve? Is there a workaround?

constraintmovement.png

constraintmovement.zip

If it's a percentage slider, you have to go into the graph editor and make the compensate of 'X', 'Y', 'Z' and 'W' a straight line by copying the setting from the 100% position to the 0% position on the constraint. I show how to do it in the face rigging tutorial I put together.

I haven't looked at the project yet, but, from the description that's what it is. I'll look at it later tonight to make sure.

• Hash Fellow

If it's a percentage slider, you have to go into the graph editor and make the compensate of 'X', 'Y', 'Z' and 'W' a straight line by copying the setting from the 100% position to the 0% position on the constraint. I show how to do it in the face rigging tutorial I put together.

It's not a slider. I'm just altering the enforcement % in the property box as part of making the new pose what i want it to be. (less than 100% enforced)

I did try going into the channels and leveling out the rotate offsets, but that didn't change the behavior.

The only workaround I found for this situation is to set your enforcement to "0", hit the compensate button and then put in the amount of enforcement you want. It probably warrants a report to AM Reports...it does act strange, but, in effect you are creating the same thing as a percentage slider by adjusting the enforcement like that.

Hope that helps.

• Hash Fellow
The only workaround I found for this situation is to set your enforcement to "0", hit the compensate button and then put in the amount of enforcement you want.

That does get it back to it's initial position. thanks!

I just took a quick look at the file and my initial reaction is....."hmmm, that is strange"

I can't find any immediate reason for it, other than maybe there is some behind the scenes math that the software uses to keep the the offsets working when compensate is used?

Which I suppose would mean, a solution would be out of our hands?

anyone else?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Actually, in thinking more about this....

why would you use an aim at in this situation?

I set up an aim at with the object pointing at the bone, alittle off, with compensate and that works with no problems when lowering the percentage.

Then I used several constriants that would better suite a bone set up like this and they all worked fine.

I think that this is just a case of wrong constrain for what you or someone would want to achieve here.

No?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Hash Fellow

Actually, in thinking more about this....

why would you use an aim at in this situation?

This is a simplified example from a rig in which several bones need to track a target null.

For smartskin purposes I want the bones to be oriented in a particular manner with regards to the mesh, not pointing directly at the null.

I have the same problem with the Translate to Constraint.

from 100% to 0.01% it's smooth, but from 0.01% to 0 it's snapping to it's original position ...

Is there a possibility to set an offset when I set the Enforcement to 0%? I don't need a transition ... I only want that the bone is not snapping and also not following the Target and working with translate offsets is also not my favourite way, how I would like to do my stuff ...

Thanks!

Maszie

I have the same problem with the Translate to Constraint.

from 100% to 0.01% it's smooth, but from 0.01% to 0 it's snapping to it's original position ...

Is there a possibility to set an offset when I set the Enforcement to 0%? I don't need a transition ... I only want that the bone is not snapping and also not following the Target and working with translate offsets is also not my favourite way, how I would like to do my stuff ...

Thanks!

Maszie

What?

Sorry, my english is bad, I know!

I've made a translate to constraint (I used the the compensate - mode when I set the constraint ...) to keep the Bone of the Hand at one position, while the whole rest of the body is moving ...

after that part, in which the hand have to stick to the object, I would like to detach the hand ...

So now I set the enforcement to 0 % and the Hand is snapping somewhere ...

Then I tried it with an animation of the enforcement ... as example: frame 0 -> 100% Enforcement and at frame 10 -> 0% Enforcement ... from Frame 0 till frame 9 is the transition sooth. But from frame 9 to 10 the hand is snapping to an completely other place in the Chor.

Gruß maszie

Well the reason why it's snapping when you turn the constriant off is becuase the hand

has no data about where it should be, excpet for the spot it was in when you first began the animation.

I does not sound like you are using the correct method to achieve what you are seemingly trying to do.

BUt without knowing exactly what you are trying to animate..... you might just position the hand where you want it on the frame were the snap happens?

Tell us what you're trying to do....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Hash Fellow

Then I tried it with an animation of the enforcement ... as example: frame 0 -> 100% Enforcement and at frame 10 -> 0% Enforcement ... from Frame 0 till frame 9 is the transition sooth. But from frame 9 to 10 the hand is snapping to an completely other place in the Chor.

You may have to post a project that shows this. I haven't succeeded in duplicating this behavior with a "translate to" constraint.

I've solved the problem ...

What I did:

Frame 0 -> set the translate to Constraint with compensate mode >on<

@ Frame 10 I set a Key for the translate offset and enforcement

and then set between frame 11 to 19, the enforcement to >0%< (Hold)

then, @ frame 20 I moved the Hand to the position, where I wanted the Hand to be after the Enforcement is set to 0%

activate Compensate Mode and set the enforcement to 100 % and then back to 0%

afterwards I deleted the Key of the Enforcement, which was set between Frame 11 to 19 ...

The Curve in the Timeline is set to hold ... in my Case, the Enforcement is from Frame 0 to 20 constant at 100%

I hope, my explanation is OK ...

Gruß Maszie