Hash, Inc. Forums

Dual Core Support?

SirSpectre

Hey all,

I just recently built an amazingly overpriced computer ( Asus A8N-SLI Premium, AMD64 4400 dual core, and 2x Nvidia 7800gt in sli) specifically for rendering and animating and stuff. I know other programs out there support dual core/multi cpu setups, but Im wondering if A:M has high support with it, or am I better off turning of affinity to one core and using hyper transport? I havent really noticed a difference in rendering either way, just curious if theres a patch or a newer version that would support it.

• Hash Fellow

A:M has experimented with dual CPU suport in the past, but it's not included in the current version.

You can run two instances of A:M simultaneously and, for example, have one render the odd frames and the other render the even frames of an animation.

You'll need sufficient memory so that neither instance resorts to swapping data on the HD.

A:M has experimented with dual CPU suport in the past, but it's not included in the current version.

You can run two instances of A:M simultaneously and, for example, have one render the odd frames and the other render the even frames of an animation.

You'll need sufficient memory so that neither instance resorts to swapping data on the HD.

Well I dont think memory is going to be a problem. But after I have rendered both the even and odd frames, how do i put them together? Ive been rendering strait to divx codec .avi. Is there something better I should be using?

• Hash Fellow

But after I have rendered both the even and odd frames, how do i put them together?

It's good practice to render anything important to a targa sequence.

image000.tga

image001.tga

image002.tga...

you can reload that targa sequence back into A:M and resave as a compressed QT or AVI

Or, take them to an NLE to marry sound to the animation.

Another option is using QuickTime Pro. It costs $29 from Apple, works on Mac and Windows, and has some really nice features for importing image sequences and exporting the results. But on to your question:

Right-click on the Images folder in the Project Workspace. Choose New Image/Animation... from the popup menu. Navigate to your folder of images. Select either the folder or the first image, I forget which. Click OK.

This might be inaccurate, I don't have A:M sitting in front of me at the moment.

-Zev

Ok Targa got it. Did a small rendering trying that out, man thats nice :) I couldnt quite figure out how to reload that sequence back into A:M. Perhaps you could share that secret?

Just right click at the images icon in the project workspace. It will say, import image, and import image sequence. Slect import image sequence, and click on the first tga. It will import the entire lot, and than all you do is right click again and hit save as, and pick quicktime or avi and vuala! you have your movie.