Hash, Inc. Forums

AMD 64-bit or Latitude Laptop?

_Trip

Hi all, I'm new to 3d animation and wondering about rendering times. I've got a Dell Latitude 3Ghz Laptop with 2GB of RAM. It seems too slow for me (only a 64MB ATI built-in card).

I have access to an AMD 64bit system with 1 GB of RAM. Would that work any faster? Does AM take advantage of 64-bit? How about multiple Processors?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

• Hash Fellow

64-bit and multiple processors don't make A:M run any faster.*

Video cards have little to do with "final" rendering speed, as that is all done by the CPU.

Generally the faster the CPU the faster the rendering. 1Gig Ram will be plenty for most purposes.

"slow" is a relative thing. Hair, particles, reflections, ray-traced shadows, complex combiner materials, numerous lights... those are all things that slow down rendering.

If you want a fast render just to check motion, render in "shaded mode", or in "final" with multipass set to 1.

*a dual processor can run two A:Ms simultaneously, potentially rendering twice as much in the same time, but its tricky to do right.

Hi all, I'm new to 3d animation and wondering about rendering times. I've got a Dell Latitude 3Ghz Laptop with 2GB of RAM. It seems too slow for me (only a 64MB ATI built-in card).

I have access to an AMD 64bit system with 1 GB of RAM. Would that work any faster? Does AM take advantage of 64-bit? How about multiple Processors?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

Tim,

I use a Dell M50 for rudimentary things in AM. Granted it's only a 1.8 Ghz with 512 Mb ram (64mb video card, but it is tollerable for simple AM use.

My desktop is an Athlon 64 with 2 Gb of RAM, and it rocks (although V12 realtime seems slower than V11.1 did).

My render farm is a mixture of Athlon Xp's and Athlon 64's. The 64's are always faster rendering frames.

David

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

Tim,

I use a Dell M50 for rudimentary things in AM. Granted it's only a 1.8 Ghz with 512 Mb ram (64mb video card, but it is tollerable for simple AM use.

My desktop is an Athlon 64 with 2 Gb of RAM, and it rocks (although V12 realtime seems slower than V11.1 did).

My render farm is a mixture of Athlon Xp's and Athlon 64's. The 64's are always faster rendering frames.

David

Render Farm??! Very cool. Are there any tutorials on setting up a farm? I happen to have a few systems lying around presently collecting dust. What OS? Would I need more AM Licenses?

How many systems in your farm? I realize that certain things add to the length of a render, but I rendered a 5 second short last evening on my laptop and it took about an hour and a half. Pretty detailed, but is there a "test" render out there somewhere with times on it so that I can verify speed?

Thanks for any info!

-Tim

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

Tim,

I use a Dell M50 for rudimentary things in AM. Granted it's only a 1.8 Ghz with 512 Mb ram (64mb video card, but it is tolerable for simple AM use.

My desktop is an Athlon 64 with 2 Gab of RAM, and it rocks (although V12 realtime seems slower than V11.1 did).

David

Render Farm??! Very cool. Are there any tutorials on setting up a farm? I happen to have a few systems lying around presently collecting dust. What OS? Would I need more AM Licenses?

How many systems in your farm? I realize that certain things add to the length of a render, but I rendered a 5 second short last evening on my laptop and it took about an hour and a half. Pretty detailed, but is there a "test" render out there somewhere with times on it so that I can verify speed?

Thanks for any info!

-Tim

Tim,

You would need to buy Netrender.

My favorite OS for the render "slaves" is win2k.

Basically you set up one machine as a Server (same machine can also be a slave), the slaves talk to the server which distributes frames to the slaves.

You will receive a "dongle" to place in your server machine which contains the license.

There are 2 levels if I remember right, a 3 slave license and the unlimited.

I wouldn't be with out my farm. It makes complex renders go really fast.

Hope this helps.

David