Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Booleans

Luxo

Hi everyone,

I would like to put a heart shaped window in a door. I have my heart shape-----I have my door----and I have A:M's documentation. But I can't seem to find the "Boolean Cutter" option anywhere?

Is using the "Boolean Cutter" the best way to go about building a window?

Thanks

-Josh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Josh, to use the Boolean cutter operation, just select the heart, hide the door, and go into bones mode. Create one bone over the heart shape, and with the bone still selected, select all the CPs of the heart shape to assign them to the bone. Go back to modeling mode, and in the project workspace window select the bone you just created for the heart shape. In the properties window, select Boolean Cutter/ON. It will cut through the door, but only in the final render.

I'd be more tempted to create the door, then stitch in the heart shaped window, depends on how much detail you want, and how hard you want your edges.

What's causing it to do this?

I'm guessing it's because of how I connect the CPs, I don't know how to do that properly.

I haven't looked at your file, but I'm assuming you've not used Booleans here.

Some of the splines that make up the heart are valid four-point patches. Some of the nearer patches are facing away from you and so are not being rendered, and some of the more distant patches are facing you and so are being rendered, which is why you're getting that "inside-out" look. (There's a setting in A:M that will make all back-facing patches show too.) What you need to do is add a few CPs that will make the heart patches invalid. For example, add an extra CP (not spline) to each of the verticals that run up the centre of the heart. This will create five-point patches of all the patches that use either of those verticals. So long as you don't explicitly tell those five-pointer to render, they will stay as holes. You'll probably have to add CPs to the other splines that reach across the face of the heart too.

It'll make sense when you do it!

Add another splline ring inbetween the two heart-shaped ones. That will eliminate all the interior patches that are confusing the boolean genie.

Don't forget to associate the new CPs with the boolean bone

Sorry to be such a pain ,but I'm officially confused now. Do I attach any spines to the ring? Do I connect any of the ring's own control points to eachother?

My head hurts.

---Thanks guys.

*sigh* it's still not working, I tried it with three rings, no luck. Same with the five point patches----

Any other ideas? :( Thank you all.

The problem is the internal patches in your heart. Look at the attached image. Your heart in your file is at the top right, and the internal patches I have highlighted in green. These patches need to be removed for the booleon to work properly, giving you the cut out u see in the render of the door on the far left. In the center of the pic look at the heart front and back that I amended. Notice that the splines on the front of the heart are different from the ones on the back, that way u do not have any 4 point patches going between the front and rear plane of the heart, because none of the splines are in the same direction. There are cleaner ways to do the splines, but I changed this in literally 5 seconds, to make a point. It is actually taking me longer to type this reply and get the pic to show in this post, than it does to solve the problem ( figure that out!) Any way its an easy fix, just keep that in mind for other booleans too. Internal patches render weird, because in all actuallity, when u have the internal patches,each one of those blocks is like a solid object SO instead of having the heart as one solid object, Your heart was actually like four blocks, or four solid objects, and you were seeing the partitions in your render.( does that make sense?, I hate explaining stuff, I'm not good at it)

boolean.jpg

OOh! :)

Wow, I'm sorry I'm incredibly slow----thanks for all your help guys! I REALLY appriciate it. :) This is such a great community, I swear once I figure out how to model/rig I'll repay all you guys. :)

Yippee! Back to work---