Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

hair and fur

patsommer

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done several fur tests however it's only for small areas, doing whole body fur takes a lot of time and patience. From what i've seen, 2 or 3 simple hair materials work better than 1 complex hair material. I will upload some examples in a bit. I need to get settled in and remember what I did before.

-Mark

-edit, er oops, I kinda got side-tracked. I'll get something uploaded when I get off owrk today. In the mean time, what kind of fur effect are you trying for, any specific type of animal you had in mind?

Hair can be simple or it can be extremely complex.

I am attaching a scene which I used a animal print graphic I found on google.

animal_font_8.jpg

The basic steps for recreating this in AM v12 is this

Open new project

Import the animal print graphic

Create new material, change the attribute type to particle ->hair

Create a new model, a lathed dome works as a good example

Apply the hair material to the dome model (the hair should show up, if not, hit Shift-8 )

After this point you can adjust the hair's individual properties to your liking, but first we will try something cool.

Apply the Animal print image as a decal on your dome, apply it from the top view.

You will see that the decal 'Type' under the image section will be set to color. Change this to 'Other'

from here, you will see a new line appear below the Type setting called 'Properties Driven'. Right click on this line and pick 'Add Property'

01fur.jpg

Pick Density... The decal will control the amount of fur depending on the color, Black for none, and white for 100% of whatever you set your density in the hair material.

02fur.jpg

If you duplicate the decal steps again, but leave it as default settings, you will get something like this.

You will end up with something like this.

fuzz0.jpg

fuzz.zip