Hash, Inc. Forums

is spontaneous closing a symptom

oakchas

I have been working on a complex model. I am "cleaning it up" removing some unessesary cps, and consolodiating patches.

I have much of the model hidden. When I go to group and delete some patches, A:M closes abruptly. I was hoping to do a Copy-flip-attach. but If I can't delete some of these extraneous patches because of closing, I doubt I would be able to do the c-f-a for the same reason.

this is in 11.1b... on a P4 3.4 GHz w 1 GB ram and a 200MB HDD.

Should I report it, move to a later version of 11, or move to v12 s?

I don't think this will help at all, but you're not alone... I had the same problem, I'm also using 11.1. I had a fairly complex mesh, and made a different part in a new modeling window, copied it, and pasted it in the window where my original model was. When I tried to delete the pasted model, AM closed. I eventually solved the problem by fixing the pasted model and just moving forward. I was never able to successfully delete the pasted model.

I started with Maya, and while I would say its maybe a little more stable than AM, it too used to crash. Not so much in closing down, but more lock-ups. I think maybe that 3D pushes the computer so hard that its just a matter of finding the right combination of instructions that cause the computer to crash regardless of what the software is.

Well, Thanks slippin' I am only really disraught over my own stupidity for not saving the file in a secondary location... seperate from the project...

I've survived worse... just don't like it when the cause is my own shortsightedness and laziness over saving in more than one location...

Now, If Hash can't help, and I remain confident they can, then I will really have to flog myself because the majority of the model is COMPLEX and will take a while to re construct.

I'm considering entering into the text of the model myself and deleting the offending group. And hoping that that is the only portion that is corrupting the remainer of the model.

Sorry to hear about losing your model. I know it well. 11.1 freezes up on me all the time. I thought that it was me: I'm an ex-polygon modeler and tend to work 'heavy'. I can see 11.1 responding slower and slower as the model grows. I've just learned to SAVE often!

I hope you meant to say that you are using a Gb of RAM, not a Mb?