Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Golden Gate Bridge High Detail model

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At this point I just want to get the main bridge done for the Extras II DVD... we can then update the project on the website later.

The main geometry of the bridge is what I'm concentrating on now... I won't even have time to do the rivet details now... :(

• Admin

Jody,

I think you can set the model up so that the detail can be added by dropping a second model onto the first.

Not sure how well that would work on such a large scales BUT if the second model could be made to turn off its various parts then only those parts of the model needed for close detail would need to be turned on.

I've long been interested in developing some poses based on proximity.

Poses that turn on/off based on their proximity to the camera for instance.

There are some possibilities in such a solution.

At any rate... please consider making the extra detail in a second model.

Then you can post that somewhere for everyone to add to the basic model... and keep the Golden Gate Bridge for a long time to come.

I sense that modular modeling is going to be a big deal in the future.

If hooked into HAMR... even better.

With such a thing resources, details, information etc. arrive just in time to meet the audience.

I'm about half way done with one half of the main cable span between the towers.

Here's a shot of the last roadbed cable shoulder on the main cable to give you an idea of the detail I'm up against. Each one of these shoulders is at a slightly different angle and so requires each to be unique. :o:blink::huh:

I think I'll go get some sleep now...

MainCableDetail_01.jpg

Looking GOOD! When I did my Ambassador Bridge (Detroit/Windsor) my patch-count got kinda high so I did the oldest trick in the book...I only modelled HALF of the bridge and put 2 instances of it in the chor...are you doing that? You could prolly get away with only modelling a QUARTER and bringing 4 instances into the chor...hmmm

John,

Actually earlier in the thread you'll notice that it takes over 20 copies of the roadway section, two towers, four copies of the tower tops (each side of each tower), a special roadway section for the towers, one retainer wall at the base of the north tower and probably will take six cable sections all put together in the action.

Sometime later when this is updated for the next DVD, I hope to have the elevated part of the freeway, toll plaza along with both shores and Fort Mason under the soute approach and of course the water added to this project.

Dhar,

It would appear I only have time to complete the central Main cable spans and the roadway cables on that section. Although still not aligned properly in the choreography, but you can't see it here.

Last but not least... current patch count numbers for this 'WIP'. It will be going on the Extras II DVD in this form. I will be updating this throughout the year and hope to have a 'complete' Golden Gate Bridge High Detail model project for the next 'Extras III' DVD with the lighting, approaches, Fort Mason, shores, toll plaza and water.

__________________________________________Patch______Model________Total_Patches
Sub_Model_Name____________________________Count______Quantity_____in_Action

Tower_Top__________________________________2733________4______________10932
Main_Towers_(each)________________________14097________2______________28194
South_Tower_Skirt____________________________42________1_________________42
Road_Deck_Sections_(Standard)______________7179_______41_____________294339
Road_Deck_Sections_(Tower)_________________4711________2_______________9422
Main_Cable_Sections (Central Span)________23544________4______________94176

Overall_WIP_Model_(High_Detail_version)______________________________437105

GGB_HD_WIP_2006_10_02.jpg