Hash, Inc. Forums

Troll, faerie fly-fishing...

The gate raises as high as the lid. So he should be able to reach in and pull out a fairy... He will probably have to pick up the cage and use both hands. Opening the gate and shaking a bit should dump out the last fairy.

Figuring that the logistics of keeping a fairy in a cage should be similar to keeping a cricket in a cage, this is where I started :)

Figuring that the logistics of keeping a fairy in a cage should be similar to keeping a cricket in a cage, this is where I started :)

Mwa hahaha! *evil grin*.

Seriously though, I really love this story idea Will. I just think it syncs in well with what I would do if I had any imagination anymore :).

• 4 years later...

This is one of those things that went off my radar a few years ago.... I'm working on the Tar of Zandoria stuff exclusively now (not even accepting any comissions), so I don't know when/if I will get back around to this....

I did suggest it to Lee in another thread where (i thought) he was looking for ideas for a short...Ken already made a troll. If you make a fairy, then it is really just one set and some props, and ready to go...

What about it Lee?, do you want to direct/produce this? it already has concept art and storyboards ;)

This is one of those things that went off my radar a few years ago.... I'm working on the Tar of Zandoria stuff exclusively now (not even accepting any comissions), so I don't know when/if I will get back around to this....

I did suggest it to Lee in another thread where (i thought) he was looking for ideas for a short...Ken already made a troll. If you make a fairy, then it is really just one set and some props, and ready to go...

What about it Lee?, do you want to direct/produce this? it already has concept art and storyboards ;)

I do have to say I'd love to see this short done.

• Hash Fellow

I hadn't caught this before. I like that it's all visual and doesn't depend on any dialog. Those ideas are rare.

And the limited scope makes it feasible to do well.

I agree with some previous comments that it needs a punchline or some other reversal for the troll at the end.

I hadn't caught this before. I like that it's all visual and doesn't depend on any dialog. Those ideas are rare.

And the limited scope makes it feasible to do well.

I agree with some previous comments that it needs a punchline or some other reversal for the troll at the end.

If you were aiming for a Disney-esque style story, then I'd agree that a warm and fuzzy beginning would be necessary. But, I think this story stands on its own, with the imagery in the storyboards, an outstanding soundtrack, and solid directing this short would be top notch.

Will, I would offer a word of caution though; one of the banes of writing scripts, is that once a director takes it on, he/she gets to add their own ideas to the piece. So if you hand it over to someone else, get their agreement that the story remains untouched (if that is what you wish).

I'd love to work on this project. Sadly, with my own short forcing me to admit that my modeling skills are far behind the quality I expect, I'd not be comfortable with doing that part of it. My strengths, I am realizing, is in the production/story telling side of things (sort of falls in line with 20 plus years in project management I suppose).

This is amazing Will-the storyboards are fantastic. Can I borrow some of your artistic talent for a sec? The idea is great, it's not exactly what I had in mind. Ever since I saw this post though and have been looking at the storyboards it's been on my mind and I've been going over it in mind over and over again like a frustrated troll who can't seem to get any fish :) Besides, let's get real, Will, no one could give this the proper directing treatment it needed except for the guy that came up with it. I'd love to see this finished, and if you'd like any modeling/lighting/texturing help, don't forget your buddy with the little video game guy avatar, mmmk? :) I would love to light something like this.

You da' man!

Lee

• Hash Fellow
If you were aiming for a Disney-esque style story, then I'd agree that a warm and fuzzy beginning would be necessary.

It doesn't have to be warm and fuzzy, the reversal on the troll might be quite grim for him.

• Admin

I haven't looked at Will's storyboard in a long time but I'm trying to imagine what that reversal might be.

The story 'as is' is compeling enough as the story demonstrates (from trollish and faerie perspectives) that that's just the way life is.

I think the reversal is already there in that the troll isn't the mean ol' nasty that we initially see him as. It's our view of him that changes. He's just fishin'.

Its stark and a little too real... not my usual cup tea... but I get it.

Award winning storytelling this is.

• Admin

Okay... couldn't stop thinking about this story. It's captivated me over the years.

Seeing it bumped up again has reminded me just how great a short story this is.

One aspect that I really like about it is how we (as the audience) change.

For instance, at the beginning of the film (I'll call it a film because that's what this thing needs to be!) I am the Troll.

While I might have some symphathy for the plight of the fearies... they don't compel me to want to be them.

I am the Troll and for some reason I can't quite recall, they are trapped and rather nasty little things.

As the film rolls on I find myself enjoying being the Troll.

I'm walking down the path, sitting on the dock... I'm a fishing Troll.

Shock.

Okay... maybe I'm not the Troll.

But I sure don't want to be the Faerie either.

Like the Faerie I'm trapped too and I've got no place to go.

No... No... I'm definitely the Faerie.

...and now I'm all alone.

I'm doomed.

This is it. My life is over.

What?

I'm free?

How wonderful!

The Troll has freed me?

What a wonderful Troll!

Fade out.

Roll Credits.

Now I'm back to being myself and I'm having a heck of a time trying to comprehend the incredible experience I just had as a Faerie and a Troll.