Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Constantine-Like Angel Wings

jabbar

Hi, guys,

I just got hired to do a music video in which there is one shot where my main character reveals that she is an angel. I really liked to realistic/creepy feel of the wings that are attached to Shia LaBouf ("Chaz") and Tilda Swinton ("Gabriel") in CONSTANTINE. I know that this is a tall order and a large part of the solution will be great A:M work (v12). I need some tips from a modeller/aimator/texture perspective as far as how I can make the wings as "realistic" (and non-cartoony). I imagine shooting the needed shot against a greenscreen would be a great start. I am also concerned about getting a nice transluscent "feather texture", something that seems more complex than even photorealistic hair. Any tips?

thanks in advance,

jabbar

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You would get a faster responce by posting this at:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1

That is the General discussion/Animation Master topics.

Well, you are not asking for something easy here... You could use decaled geometry , but hair would be the easiest way... you would have to use a map of a feather with an alpha map that cuts the shape of the feather out of the hair. Hair can be shaped like a feather using the timeline editor... and the feather color can be varied using the features of hair available in properties. There is a tutorial for this. goto the A.R.M. and search there. Or do a search on this forum... try "v12 hair" or "hair feathers".

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...545&hl=feathers

Well, I threw something together to test the hair approach ... The render took my machine too long to render with translucency+transparency, so I rendered it without. I guess it doesnt help to have a huge map for the feather. anyway I think it would just need to be rendered with some ambience and it would look more angelic... you may have to change a lot of parameters... I changed the ambience and it looks more angel-like... I also added a render of the mesh splines.

FeatherMaterials.zip

AngelWing.jpg

AngelWing2.jpg

AngelWing_mesh.jpg

Edited by entity

You're welcome to modify this if it isn't quite what you are looking for. Part of a project I still haven't completed. Had trouble getting it to work quite right. This ones not rigged but the groups are ready to make rigging easier. Entity that's a really nice wing! I'll have to try that with the hair.

Wing.zip

rich: that is a fairly awesome wing!

i built a cartoony one with splines a few months ago, and it was still very complex.

your solution is much more realistic, yet simpler!

-jon

thanks... but I'm not sure I'm getting it to look like the "constantine" ones...

Const_angl_wing_1.jpg

Const_angl_wing_2.jpg

Const_angl_wing_3.jpg

Hay Rich! Thanks very much, you've just shown us how things can be done easier way... I would have never come out with this particle based solution...

And it doesn't have to look EXACTLY like the movie ;-P

Suffice to say that those were probably real wings, and if CG was used it was probably laser- digitized and then textured feather by feather... I still like your way much better!