Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

modeling a fly rod and reel

guilded

I'd like to model a fly rod, but the only problem I see is with the fishing line. I'm really bad with bones and constraints and what not, but I'm guessing i'd probably want to assign bones to the line or something to make it limp. I also need to wrap it around the reel, obviously. I just wanted to know what the best way to go about making the line was before i started.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just off the top of my head. Not entirely sure it will work...

You could create a single spline render as lines, that is controlled by cloth. It would be connected to the end of the rod.

You would need to experiment with this technique... the "cloth" spline would need to be weighted on the end some how.

The good thing about this technique is that it requires minimal rigging. You won't need a chain of bones to control the "string".

However the cons are... you won't be able to control "exactly" how the string behaves. You can modify the motion after the "cloth" is simulated.

----------

Another technique would involve a bone rig... a lot of bones... a whole lot of bones in a chain with a dynamic constraint to control the "spline" line... once again a single spline render as lines.

The drawback to this technique is the "limpness" of the chain. To get that really stringy feel, you would need a lot of CPs in the line and a lot of bones.

------------------

The reel of string is simple. Just a model with "fake" string wrapped on the surface... possibly a bump and color map to make it look like wound up line.

The line from the reel to the end of the pole would just be static.

You could get really fancy and have a pose slider that makes the reel of string get "smaller" as the string "unwinds".

-------------------

If any of these "ideas" seem completely alien to you... you may want to practice with simpler items first. Build the rod and reel first before attempting the string "effect"... or... you could jump right in and play around/experiment with the string cloth first.

Vernon "!" Zehr

A set of three bones in between each of the loops on the rod could be your line going through there... with the dynamic chain on it... you can shrink the bones or expand them to make the line tight or loose.

As to the line from the tip of the rod, you could do a similar dynamic chain, but it may have to be very long.

Vern has good ideas along these lines although I'm not sure the cloth one would work, I've never tried a single spline with cloth applied, although it sounds very possible.

One more suggestion for the line, animate its CPs. If you know the choreography of your line's scene you can then decide how many CPs you'll need, name each group, and then animate them accordingly. Or you can create Pose Sliders for it.

This is a more advanced project.